Video card question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
I'm # 209

Video card question

How do tell how big it is.I got a new motherboard with 64 meg of onboard video. Where can find out how many megs the one in my computer is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 05:44 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

What model computer do you have?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Texas Rangers #1

The majority of onboard video is shared with your RAM, which means if you have 128MB of RAM and 64MB allocated for your onboard video, you'll only have 64MB of RAM for your computer to use. This also means it's slower than a dedicated AGP video card with it's own memory. IMO, if you're interested in playing games, and have an available AGP slot, buy a decent video card ( NVIDIA or ATI ) and disable the onboard video.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 06:08 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I agree with Kenny on this. Unless it's a laptop, desktop mobos with onboard video usually get video memory by taking away from system memory. I guess an expensive mobo with onboard Nvidia or ATI and dedicated video memory is possible, as that's how laptops are setup ... but I'm not aware of any desktop ones offhand.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
I'm # 209

The setup I'm using at the moment is a 400 mhz AMD processor and 192 megs of ram. I was curious as to where I can find out by scanning through my computer to find specs on it. The set up I'm building is a 1.1 gig AMD processor and 2 sticks of 512 megs of ram. The motherboard has LAN, onboard video /sound and is 64 megs. I have a 32 meg video card that is new and I dont know if I should disable the on board one and use this one.

BTW I will be selling the old stuff as soon as I get this done if any of you are interested in it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 07:22 PM
94cobrastangs_bro

don, if you use the motherboard with the onboard vid you won't be able to use your vid card cuz it doesnt have a agp slot for it to go, ask ashley to see if that other one works, if so that would be better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement