Help! Here's a nice challenge regarding a cordless mouse. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Help! Here's a nice challenge regarding a cordless mouse.

I just recently bought a Logitech cordless mouse(it replaced another Logitech cordless) and when I boot it up, everything works fine. One problem though...whenver I plug ANYTHING into my USB port(the mouse is plugged into the PS/2) the mouse goes dead. The cursor just quits moving. If I log off of the computer and back on it works fine again unitl I plug something in the USB port again. If I boot up with something in the USB port, the mouse never works. Any ideas on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Ok... a little further research. I've isolated the problem to be from my computer. Tried the same setup on my other computer here and no problems what so ever. So it's not with the mouse, but possibly a setting on my computer. I don't have a retail computer, but one that was built on my own. Any and all mice prior to this one have worked fine. Any suggestions?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:16 PM
350z

get a USB mouse .

tacos?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:22 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Perhaps your computer does have enough power to handle the devices. Get a powered USB hub and see if it fixes your problem.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ktulu
get a USB mouse .
This has the option to work of USB, but it doesnt work in the USB when plugged in. I know it's not the USB either... I run my printer and digital camera through the USB with no problems.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:54 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Do you have a VIA chipset motherboard?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Do you have a VIA chipset motherboard?
It's an ASUS board.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 09:10 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Do you know what model?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 01:01 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang_marc
This has the option to work of USB, but it doesnt work in the USB when plugged in. I know it's not the USB either... I run my printer and digital camera through the USB with no problems.

That's because Logitech's PS/2 to USB converter sucks ass. I had problems using a Logitech cordless on a computer I was setting up for someone. They wanted to use it in USB, and it would only work in PS/2 ... that is, until I tried the PS/2 to USB adapter that I got with my MS Intellimouse Explorer. Worked like a charm. Told him the converter is crap, and to use it in PS/2, because I wasn't giving him my converter

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

After experimenting with about 3 different mice this week, I've come to determine that it's my computer. Something must have happened recently though as everything was working fine all along. Even a wired mouse locks up when I use my USB ports. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 07:03 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

What model is the motherboard

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
What model is the motherboard
It's an ASUS P3V4X. What's the mad face for
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 05:42 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang_marc
After experimenting with about 3 different mice this week, I've come to determine that it's my computer. Something must have happened recently though as everything was working fine all along. Even a wired mouse locks up when I use my USB ports. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
When you used a wired mouse, was it going through that PS/2 to USB converter? Or was it actually a USB mouse?

And I think the mad face was frustation, as he'd inquired about the board twice already

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
When you used a wired mouse, was it going through that PS/2 to USB converter? Or was it actually a USB mouse?
The wired mouse was actually the other way around. It was a USB mouse that had a converter to plug into the PS/2. In my trouble shooting, I've used the wired mouse just mentioned. Also used a Logitech wireless and for comparison's sake, I went and bought a Microsoft wireless. I've tried both adapters on each mouse and the same thing happens. If I skip the adapters and just use the USB ports, it's already frozen when it boots. I don't want to do that anyway. I want my 2 USB ports open for my printer and my digital camera. I guess my last option of the test is just to try and find a straight up PS/2 mouse. It seems like everything has to be adapted these days
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Ok...I'm narrowing things down. I've tried a few more configurations that work. I've had the printer and the mouse BOTH connected into the USB ports with no adapters at the same time and they worked fine. In another instance, I have the mouse connected to the PS/2 and the printer directly to the USB and everything works. Now it's just getting the stupid cord to my camera to work in conjunction. I can have the printer OR the camera, but not both. Stupid technology!

On another note, anyone know where I could possibly go to get someone to help me finish putting together my computer. This thing has 2 USB ports up front, but I haven't figured out how to connect them yet. I've tried looking at the diagrams on ASUS' site, but it's all greek to me.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:06 PM

EAsy fix here, go into your bios and make sure that all USB options applicable are checked. Many times you need to enable USB mouse, USB startup devices, ETC etc. Also, see if this new mouse has a updated driver from logitech. LEt me know if any of this works or if you need more help.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Saleen09
EAsy fix here, go into your bios and make sure that all USB options applicable are checked. Many times you need to enable USB mouse, USB startup devices, ETC etc. Also, see if this new mouse has a updated driver from logitech. LEt me know if any of this works or if you need more help.
Just got back to this. I had actually already gone in and they were all "enabled". Regardless, I toggled them to off or whatever the other option was and then back to "enabled" and for the present time, everything has been working ok for about 3 days now. Hopefully it was just a glitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement