MP3 Player Recommendation - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

MP3 Player Recommendation

Any suggestions? Looking for one that uses Compact Flash Cards.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 02:17 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Dunno about compact flash card support, but RCA Lyra's 128meg w/ SD slot are about $80. I don't know of any players that have compact flash ports, beyond maybe something like a PDA with audio / media player capability ... but then you're getting into some hard cash.

My dad just picked up a Classic CHD500 10gig for $150 at Circuit City ($200 - $50 mail in rebate). Seems to work pretty good, he's using it for motorcycle trips ... he rides a Harley ... if it doesn't skip on a Harley, it ain't skipping Has a basic menu on it for Artist, Album, Genre, and Tracks for navigation. EQ Presets, and a Graphic EQ for fine tuning. Comes with a 1/8" stereo mini plug to audio RCA male plugs to hook it up to a home stereo, and some small headphone buds ... dunno how they sound, I just used my big ass Sony cover-your-entire-head headphones, and the sound output was very good.

It comes with instructions on how to copy music over via Music Match Jukebox (which is included) or Windows Media Player ... but I just drag and drop from Explorer, and it works peachy. Very easy to get music onto it ... if not a tad slow (USB 1.1)

I know a friend got one of those RCA Lyra's, and you have to use a media player (either Jukebox or WMP) to copy music to it, because it actually converts the file to something other than mp3 ... even has a driver that has to be installed for the device. If you just drag / drop from explorer, it won't recognize the mp3. And since it's being converted, it takes considerably longer. She only had the 64meg version, and it took nearly 10 minutes to fill it up with songs. I copied 600+ megs to the CHD500 last night in 20 minutes. Or ... I haven't tried this yet, but probably will for the next batch of songs ... rip directly from CDs to the CHD500 ... hmmmm

The other nifty thing about the CHD500, you can use it as a 10gig portable USB hdd. Not a bad deal for $150 (compared to an iPod for $400). Rio has a 10gig and a 20gig version of their Rio Riot. The 10gig is around the same price as the CHD500, but not sure if it's as easy to copy shit over, or if it's like the Lyra where you have to do it through a media player.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Bite Me!!!

I have one of the RCA's... they are great...cept for the fact they don't play mp3's .... the software converts em to some other format... so you can't hot swap the sd cards to the handheld

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by I Stang U
I have one of the RCA's... they are great...cept for the fact they don't play mp3's .... the software converts em to some other format... so you can't hot swap the sd cards to the handheld
That, unfortuantly, is the whole point. They don't want you sharing your music with anyone.

Bought a friend of mine an old RCA with a compact flash type II slot. I didn't think I had to convert the music over, as I just popped the CF card in my laptop and dumped some music on there for her.

Chambers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 02:08 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by chambers
That, unfortuantly, is the whole point. They don't want you sharing your music with anyone.
That's so weak

With other devices out there that don't bother with the format conversion, it makes their stance useless. And the fact it takes so much longer to copy, just turns me off to the idea. If I ever want to get one sometime down the road (why? I got an mp3 cd player, and plenty of mp3 cds ... but still), I'd get something like the CHD500.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement