Question - Mp3 Editing - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Question - Mp3 Editing

New to Mp3 editing. Just fumbling my way around!

I used program ezMP3edit to increase volume on an Mp3 file and it caused some distortion. Is this normal and unavoidable or is there something I can do to correct situation.

Also, what's best program to edit an entire playlist so that all file volumes are similar?

Appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 07:14 PM
98 SVT Cobra

I believe Darkwolf can help you with this. He should be on later this evening. I think the program that he uses for most of his mp3 editing in GOLDWAVE.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 02:46 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yup, Goldwave is good.

It allows you to edit the wave form directly, so you can make changes, and listen to them, before commiting them to a saved file.

Increasing the volume will usually be ok, unless the levels are already peaking in the wave form (ie: 100% audio volume) ... in which case, further increasing the volume will introduce all kinds of distortion. If you use a wave editor like Goldwave, you can see where the volume levels are peaking, and instead of increasing the volume to the entire wave form, you can select areas to increase the volume, without increasing the peaked levels, and usually you won't get any distortion that way. The net effect will basically be a more normalized volume over the whole song, rather than distinct highs and lows.

Not sure about the program you used, but it could also be that program introducing the distortion. So definitely give Goldwave a try, and see if you get the same results.

I mainly use it for increasing or decreasing volume, cutting "bonus tracks" off the end of the last track on the list, and making it a seperate file or just cutting out the hour of silence in between at the very least, and adding fade in's and out's for live tracks where there's just an abrupt silence to noise and noise to silence at the beginning and end of songs. But it has a number of effects included to play with if you're so inclined

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

DarkWolf,

Appreciate the info. Will try Goldwave.

One more question.. Was wondering if going to a higher compression after raising the volume gives you a better quality sound?

Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 06:12 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by SelBel GT
DarkWolf,

Appreciate the info. Will try Goldwave.

One more question.. Was wondering if going to a higher compression after raising the volume gives you a better quality sound?

Thanks
Higher compression = more compression = lower sound quality. I believe you mean a higher bitrate?

In which case, the answer is still no. The reason for that is the music has already been compressed at a certain bitrate. If you raise that, you'll increase the file size, but it won't improve the sound quality at all, since there's no more information for it to pull from.

If you initially encode at a high bitrate ... say 320, then go in and raise your volume, and re-encode the edited wave form at say 128 or 192 (or whatever you normally use), then you'll get better results vs. initially encoding at 128, editing, and re-encoding at 128. On the flipside, you could opt to rip to an uncompressed .wav file ... filesize will be massive, but it's uncompressed, so you can edit all you want, and then when you're done, save it as an .mp3 at whatever bitrate you want to use, and it will essentially be identical in sound quality as if it were ripped and encoded directly.

Of course, that's assuming you're ripping from CD's, and not downloading ... in which case, you really don't have any options. On the bright side though, since .mp3's are digital, the degredation isn't that severe when you edit and re-encode. If you want to be on the safe side, you can do a "Save As" and save the edited file as a different .mp3, compare the two side by side, and if the edited one is good to go, then you're all set. If it's kinda shitty compared to the original, then dump it, and either try again, or just live with the lower volume.

I've personally never been able to tell the difference between the original, and the edited file. But that could just be me ... I've got a friend who refuses to listen to .mp3's unless they're minimum 256kbps, as he swears he can hear tons of glitches and distortion in anything lower than that. I just think he's either nuts and imagining things, or has some sort of superhuman hearing

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Darkwolf,

Thanks for the information. Will experiment a little and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement