Home PC - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
F=W x A / g

Question Home PC

Since I got DSL I've been leaving my computer on all of the time. Is that OK to do? Will it run up my utility bill? Should I be shutting down after I use it?

What are the pro's and con's. Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 12:45 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

You might see a slight increase if the computer runs at full power all the time. Check your power management in the Control Panel, and set the computer to go into Standby after a certain amount of time (but definitely dissable any Hibernate / Hibernation features). Set it for something like 30 minutes to go to Standby, and then, after your done using it, after 30 minutes of innactivity, it'll go into a lower power state (hdd's, cd's, monitor, cpu, and smart fans*) will all basically power off. The memory will remain powered, to hold it's charge so when you come back to the computer, it will come back to where you left it.

I've had my laptop on for the past few months straight, just putting it into Standby when I go to sleep, or I'm at work. And I switch my desktop into Standby during those times too (unless I want to have music playing while I go to sleep).

*Smart Fans basically monitor heat to determine if they need to be running at high or low speeds, and I think, some will also switch off during standby periods.

As for the amount of increase, when running at full power all the time. It's not much. A few bucks at most. I used to run my desktop before the upgrade, at full power for months, and after I started turning it off when I wasn't using it, noticed only about $3 - $5 decrease in the electricity bill.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 06:16 AM
Lifer

I was going to post the same question but glad someone beat me to it. During my work week I will turn it off because I will only be on the internet once a day. And during my days off I will leave it on Stand by Mode.

1998 Black SVT Cobra #2885

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 09:14 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

From a security aspect you should install a personal firewall like ZoneAlarm if you are going to leave it on constantly.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 01:07 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
From a security aspect you should install a personal firewall like ZoneAlarm if you are going to leave it on constantly.
As long as you don't have Wake On LAN enabled in bios, you should be ok (and it's generally dissabled by default). Going into Standby shuts off the NIC as well, so it's essentially doing the same thing as turning off the computer.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement