Mixed networking: wired and wireless - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Mixed networking: wired and wireless

I'm running into a wall with this.

I'm trying to get my HEC computer up on my wireless network, both to surf, and to share files back and forth. I've got it hard wired into one of the ports on the back of my router, which if I read correctly, also acts as a hub/switch for networking.

I'm not gett'n jack shit. The computers see themselves, but not each other. The router isn't assigning an IP address to the HEC computer, which is the reason they're not seeing each other. Any advice? I can set up a peer to peer network with my eyes closed, but I've never tried it with one wireless client, and one hard wired client. I thought it'd be pretty straightforward, but it's obviously not.

Hell, even if the router won't act as a hub for file sharing, at least I'd like to be able to get online with the machine. I've got plenty of cd-rw's laying around for temporary file storage to carry over when needed.

Help!

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Lifer

what subnet are you using on the router? need more specifics if possible. what type of router as well. could just be something simple that your missing. and on another note.. do you know a girl named april? has or had her own website worthasmirk.com or something like that? just kinda curious.

Newbies, please watch THIS before posting.
www.Lewisvillefishing.net
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaithis
what subnet are you using on the router? need more specifics if possible. what type of router as well. could just be something simple that your missing. and on another note.. do you know a girl named april? has or had her own website worthasmirk.com or something like that? just kinda curious.
Yeah, April's a good friend of mine. How do you know her?

Subnet is 255.255.255.0

It's a D-Link DI-614+

I don't have a problem with peer to peer over wireless, meaning my laptop, and the computer downstairs. it's just having the problem with my desktop up here, hardwired in to the router.

DarkWolf

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 06:15 AM
Warden

I think your problem is that your Dlink 614+ is ALSO a router and you dont have it configured correctly. Is there a way to disable its routing and use it in bridged mode?

Since you are only dealing with 2 or 3 internal IP's, forget DHCP and just hardcode the IP's. The router will act like a switch just fine.

do an ipconfig on your wired and wireless PC's and see what IP addresses each have now. Make sure they are in the same subnet and have the correct info. do ping tests to see if its a Windows browsing problem or a TCP/IP problem.

-Chris
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
[B]Yeah, April's a good friend of mine. How do you know her?
i just broke up with her old roommate Tea. when they lived over by brookhaven about 2 years ago. me and tea started dateing when her and april were still living together. do you go to the church? we probably know a few of the same ppl if ya know april.

and i would recommend what chris said. get rid of DHCP and just do static ips. see if that helps. if not... check to make sure all puters are on the same subnet and whether or not they can all ping each other. if they can then you *should* be ok.

Last edited by Shaithis; 03-14-2003 at 10:39 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaithis
[B]i just broke up with her old roommate Tea. when they lived over by brookhaven about 2 years ago. me and tea started dateing when her and april were still living together. do you go to the church? we probably know a few of the same ppl if ya know april.
Heh, I remember Tea. Saw her a few times at that old apt. Haven't ever been to the church, but I do have friends that go there pretty regular

And I'll give that a try, turning off the DHCP. But just fyi, the desktop up here (not the downstairs one) the IP addy and subnet are not in the same range. It's just a default Windows assigned one. It's showing a subnet of 255.255.0.0, with an ip addy of 194.56.something.something, while the router is serving out 192.168.something.something, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. So the desktop's not being assigned an IP from the router at all.

But I'll give the static IP a go tonight and hopefully that'll work

DarkWolf
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

That didn't work either. I've sent in a support request to D-Link, maybe they've done this and have it down to a T.

Any other suggestions in the mean time? I'm sure the card is working, as it was working less than 6 months ago, which was the last time I'd used it. I guess it could have gone bad, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Warden

since your Dlink is a router, its probably has a default configuration where you specify the Wan interface and then it assigns wireless IP's via its internal DHCP server and does NAT to do the routing.

What IP and netmask do you have assigned to your desktops?
What IP is the WAN interface of the Dlink? What are the IPS of the wireless stations?

Here is an example config that should work.

Internet IP: 24.32.6.6 (an example I have no clue what yours is). This is on the WAN interface of your wired router (assuming you have this).
Has netmask of whatever your IP gave you.

IP of Internal Interface of wired router: 192.168.1.1
IP of Desktop 1: 192.168.1.2
IP of Desktop 2: 192.168.1.3
IP of Wan interface of Dlink wireless router: 192.168.1.4
All above have to have same netmask, recommend 255.255.255.0
All have gateway set to 192.168.1.1 except Internal interface of wired router.

In Dlink, setup DHPC to hand out addresses with IP's 192.168.2.1 thru 192.168.2.10 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0

This should work with no problems.

Chris
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Finally got a response from D-Link (not they're fault really ... mail server has been down at my dialup account) ... and the retards thought I was asking how to set up file and printer sharing! So I shot off another mail to them.

I don't have a wired router, just the wireless one, which has 4 ethernet ports on the back, which I assume are to allow computers without wireless nic's to be able to connect.

The router is serving IP addresses 192.168.0.100 - 199, subnet 255.255.255.0, and the gateway's address is 192.168.0.1

My laptop is assigned 192.168.0.100 (Wireless)
Downstairs desktop is 192.168.0.101 (Wireless)
Leaving my upstairs desktop to be assigned 192.168.0.102 (Hardwired)

Except that the desktop isn't getting any of that information. On the router setup, I can see a list of assigned IP's and the computer name they're given to. The IP's stop at 101, and with the downstairs computer's name.

I tried hardcoding the subnet, gateway, and IP addy into the upstairs desktop, and it took the information, but it didn't do anything to change the situation (ie: the router still wasn't communicating with the computer.)

Now, here's a problem I've noticed, but forgot to mention as it slipped my mind ... when I do an ipconfig on this computer, the windows assigned ip and subnet show up. IP: 169.254.89.114
Subnet: 255.255.0.0

I try an "ipconfig /release", and nothing happens. "ipconfig /release all" and it says:

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

The card is a Kingston KNE40BT, and I've never had a problem doing a release/renew before.

DarkWolf
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Warden

OK, that makes more sense.

The 169 address is bogus. Thats what windows puts in when it cant connect to the DHCP server to get an address.

If you hardcode the IP with all the correct settings and it still can't ping the gatway, its either the wire or the card. Its possible the TCP/ip stuff is messed up but I havent seen that since windows 98.

Do you have a link light on your router and your card? Sure you dont have it plugged into an uplink port?

-Chris
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, the link light is on at both ends. And I've got it plugged into port 1 currently, but throughout this, I've tried it in each of the 4 ports on the back. The only other port on the back is for the WAN connection, which my modem is plugged into.

I may pick up a cheapie NIC this week and try it out ... I've also got to invest in a UPS Fuck'n months have gone by with no power blips ... and now we've had 2 this weekend.

DarkWolf
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Man I'm a fucking retard! I'm posting this from my HEC Computer now I started digging around in my router setup, and noticed something I'd been overlooking before ... I had MAC filtering on, to only allow the MAC addresses for my laptop and the downstairs computer to join the network.

Turned that off, ipconfig /renew and bam-o! You all have permission to smack me upside the head next time you see me for being such a dumbass

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement