Video editing software... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Video editing software...

What to use for video editing? What programs are good and easy to use? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 09:48 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

I think ERFan can help you on this, I'll see if I can get his attention.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 09:57 AM

Hey guys,

I would use a great product by Dazzle called the DVC-80, this little guy is extremely handy and it is connected through your USB port and the other end which is the break out box accepts Analog inputs from your VCR through S-video and RCA inputs and outputs and it comes with a whole slew of software that you can use to edit and make your video compilations and which you can then transfer your work to VCD or DVD It is easy to use and very inexpensive at $70.

http://www.dazzle.com/products/dvc80.html

Hope that helps,

Erfan "Z28" Afshar

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 02:30 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Depending on how professional you want to go, Ulead makes a fairly good video editing software, that's pretty cheap ... I think around $40 or $50.

Or you can go up to Adobe's offerings ... Premier is great for editing and adding titles, transitions, etc ... just straight up, non-linear video editing. After Effects on the other hand, is just what it says ... excellent for special effects / rotoscoping, and various other nifty things. It's not called "Photoshop for video" for nothing Of course, being professional products ... they're very expensive. Each will run you over $400 if I'm not mistaken.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 03:22 AM

Ulead and Pinnacle have a high end case of cockmaster-breath... Adobe Premier/After Effects are nice, however for some reason I typically tend to use Vegas Video...

Than again, given the absence of any specifics regarding your desires/preferences/needs and video sources, Windows Movie Maker may make you spend the afternoon in the bathroom alone with your left and right hand in action...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Park
Ulead and Pinnacle have a high end case of cockmaster-breath... Adobe Premier/After Effects are nice, however for some reason I typically tend to use Vegas Video...

Than again, given the absence of any specifics regarding your desires/preferences/needs and video sources, Windows Movie Maker may make you spend the afternoon in the bathroom alone with your left and right hand in action...
OK, maybe I better explain what I need it for. I download "backup copies" of movies off of Kazaa and some of them have glitches, or are too big, etc. I would like a simple-to-use video editing program to cut the video where the glitches are and to cut movies in half when they are too big... that's basically it. I'm not really looking to create my own videos or do fancy effects. I did download a trial version of Ulead software, but I haven't had a lot of luck editing videos with it. Also it must be able to edit divx encoded videos... not sure if they can all do that or not. Thanks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 02:01 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Ulead should be able to do it, or there's another one called Blaze Media Pro, though the URL eludes me. It swears up and down that it'll edit all PC media types. I haven't personally tried it yet, though I've downloaded the trial version.

DarkWolf
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Ulead should be able to do it, or there's another one called Blaze Media Pro, though the URL eludes me. It swears up and down that it'll edit all PC media types. I haven't personally tried it yet, though I've downloaded the trial version.
Thanks DW, I'll try 'em out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 10:25 PM
DRSLOWBRA

AUDIO

hey i have windows movie maker for making videos and i can import the video from the camera to the computer no problem but i can get the audio, it plays on the camera but not on the computer i really want the audio, is there any settings i need to use or what so if any one could help me out please.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 10:57 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Not sure it needs it, but does the camera have audio output? I'd think the audio would come with the video via 1394. But being an analog tape, might need to hook the audio out of your camera to the line in of your soundcard.

I could be way off though, as I've never had to pull video in from a camera through 1394 before. I've always used video capture cards which require the audio input as well.

DarkWolf
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 11:03 PM
DRSLOWBRA

AUDIO

i dont know was sup man, i'm using a usb port to capture the video from the camera to the computer its a new jvc camera, do i need to change the settings on the camera?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 11:30 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Not sure. I don't know if audio will transmit through the cable (either USB or 1394), or if you have to also hook up the audio out on the camer to the line in on the sound card in your computer.

DarkWolf
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 01:43 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny_Stang
OK, maybe I better explain what I need it for. I download "backup copies" of movies off of Kazaa and some of them have glitches, or are too big, etc. I would like a simple-to-use video editing program to cut the video where the glitches are and to cut movies in half when they are too big... that's basically it. I'm not really looking to create my own videos or do fancy effects. I did download a trial version of Ulead software, but I haven't had a lot of luck editing videos with it. Also it must be able to edit divx encoded videos... not sure if they can all do that or not. Thanks.
I'm giving Ulead a go for some of my PVR editing duties. It's simplicity in the purest form. Very straight forward, I figured out how to cut commercials out, and splice the movie back together, and create a new movie with no commercials in about 10 minutes.

And it exports movies on a 1:1 timescale, or at 30fps. I used to use After Effects for stuff like this, or Premier (Ulead is set up similar to Premier, only in a much more watered down UI), and they'd go like 10 - 15fps for straight up convesion ... add some effects in there and I could easily make each frame take a minute or two ... or more

The only potential drawback I see so far, the rendered video (and maybe this is just with mpegs as that's all I've worked with on it so far) has a higher gamma value than the source ... so it's a little brighter. But not by much. And I'm sure there's a setting somewhere to use the source gamma, I just haven't looked around yet.

A tip though ... save. Save often. I started cutting commercials out of the Alias episode I recorded last night, and after cutting the second batch of commercials, and scrolling through to find the next set ... the program just froze. So I had to re-do it all.

Oh yeah, and I gave Blaze Media Pro a try too. It seems even more straight forward ... but when I tried to save the commercial less episode ... it got all the way to the end, and said there was a problem in the save dialog, and it aborted the entire process So I wiped it out, and gave Ulead a go at that point

DarkWolf

Last edited by DarkWolf; 03-17-2003 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement