Should I, or shouldn't I? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Ok, here's the situation. I picked up some of the components Wednesday for my Home Entertainment Computer project. Not all, just enough to get it up and running.

Currently, I'm using my old ATI Radeon 7500 for video out duties to the TV. I've run into a slight problem with that setup, as for whatever reason, the card refuses to maintain the video out settings. Whenever I turn the computer on, or if I just leave it on and let the power management turn the monitor off, or go into standby while I'm not at the hacienda ... when I come back, I get no video on my TV. Currently, I have my old 17" monitor hooked up, and sitting on the floor in front of my TV, and I have to turn that on, go into the display properties, and edit the TV display properties. All I have to do is click either the + or the - on the horizontal, or vertical screen size section under the Screen Adjustment properties, and viola, I have picture back on my TV again.

This is a tremendous pain in the ass. I've contacted ATI's tech support to try and find a fix, and they've been none to helpful.

So, question one ... should I go ahead and pick up a GeForce4 MX 440SE for $43? My laptop has a GeForce4 440 Go (both cards use the same video out chip), and when I hook up my laptop to my TV, I have absolutely no problems getting a picture on the TV. Even when I put the system into standby, and / or reboot it ... everytime the picture comes back on my TV. I'm assuming the GeForce4 MX 440SE would do the same. I'm leaning towards a yes on that ... but want to get everyone's opinion.

Next question / situation. The remote that was supplied with the Pinnacle PCTV Pro TV Tuner (the ATI TV Wonder is no longer being manufactured ... only option was either TV Wonder VE (mono sound), or All-In-Wonder (mucho denero)) only works for the supplied software. It has no capability to control the mouse pointer or buttons ... effectively dissabling any possibility of only needing a keyboard / mouse for gaming. Instead, I'm constantly having to use at least the mouse to do anything ... unless I want to drag out the keyboard for some keyboard commands (what fun!). All it does is start the TV app, switch the TV app from Windowed to Full Screen and back, and control the volume (but only while the TV app is both running ... and is the active application). Supposedly, it has more functions ... but all of them only pertain to the TV app.

What I want is for it to function like the ATI Remote Wonder ... in that it will act like a mouse, controlling the pointer, and buttons ... so that I can use it to launch my DVD player, or Media Player, or either of my video game emulators. I've done a few searches, but so far have come up with nothing useful ... and it's looking like the only way I'm going to get the Remote Wonder's functionality ... is to actually buy the Remote Wonder

So should I go ahead and get that as well? (BTW, it's $50 through ATI's online store. I've looked at numerous online sources, including pricewatch, pricegrabber, and some others ... and no one else seems to carry it. Which sucks.)

Or does anyone know of any freeware (or even commercial) software out there that will turn my current PCTV Remote into a Remote Wonder clone?

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement