GIMP ... yikes - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

GIMP ... yikes

This little dojobby's going to take some getting used to.

I'm trying out the Windows port, and seems very promising. A little buggy, but haven't run into anything major.

One thing I've noticed from the start, and I know I'll need is brush sized cursors. So far, I've only seen the option of either "Tool Icon", "Tool Icon w/ Crosshair", and "Crosshair Only". These are ok ... but it's an immense help knowing exactly what portion of your image is going to be affected by a brushstroke, before you actually make that brushstroke. (ie: in Photoshop, if you choose a 100px brush, the cursor changes to a 100px circle, and you can position it more accurately when making a brushstroke)

Is there anything in GIMP that will do this ... or perhaps a plug in available? I haven't checked the various plug in resources yet, so I dunno. Will get to that eventually though.

AbecX ... being the only person I know who actively uses GIMP ... Help a brotha out?

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 05:38 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

I'm sure in the conversion to windows it lost some things, GIMP uses a lot of GTK ( GIMP Tool Kit ) for visual output, perhaps it had some issues with cursor manipulation. Some warnings I found off their site:

Quote:
No GIFs?
Because of patent issues with the LZW compression algorithm the installer does not install the ability to save GIF files. To be able to do this, make sure that either you are in a country where Unisys doesn't have a patent on the LZW algorithm, or that you have a license from Unisys. Then download the file gimp-gif-1.2.3-20020310.zip (from a server in Finland). Unzip and put the gif.exe in your GIMP plug-ins folder.

Warnings
The program(s) might crash unexpectedly or behave otherwise strangely. (But of course, so do many commercial programs on Windows.) The stability seems to depend a lot on the machine, display drivers, other software installed, and whatnot. Presumably the more memory you have, the better GIMP works. (For any real image work, I would say 128 megabytes is minimum.) Many people do find GIMP very useful. But it is not a Photoshop killer (for real Photoshop users, that is), Photoshop has lots of features that the GIMP lacks.

Many people with ATI Rage Pro cards have complained about display errors. It seems that this is a known problem with the drivers for these cards, and can be worked around by setting DEVBMP=0 in the [display] section of the Windows system.ini file, like this:

[display]
DEVBMP=0

If you have NT 4, and a Microsoft Wheel Mouse, some people tell me GIMP hangs unless you remove the mouse icon from the taskbar, or update the mouse software to the latest version. Go figure.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 05:51 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Short Gimp Tutorial -:- Official GIMP Manual w/ Tutorial

I also know that in the Linux version, you are able to download additional cursors, but according to the win conversion site, they don't have support for them.

Quote:
Future Support:
Multi-image file support. For instance icon or cursor archive files (.ICO and .CUR files in Windoze)
The whole gimp to windows conversion took place because Tor Lillqvist couldn't get his scanner to work inside Unix ( no communication modules had ever been made ), he tried to reverse engineer his own scanner to work but then decided to port Gimp to windows instead. I'm sure in future releases they will put out the support, but the windows backing obviously doesnt have as much open source writers behind it as the unix side so who knows what an eta would be.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Aye, yeah I looked at all that stuff. Sucks they're not available for the Windows port

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement