CD to MP3 Ripping?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

CD to MP3 Ripping??

What do you guys mostly use for ripping to MP3?? Just looking at recommendations. I'd also like something that can adjust Sound Level as I've noticed some of the songs I've burned to CD having varying Sound Level's. Is there any way to adjust the Sound Level of an MP3???

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 02:00 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

For ripping/encoding, I use CDex

For editing, I use GoldWave

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

Last edited by DarkWolf; 03-01-2003 at 02:02 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 06:42 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
For ripping/encoding, I use CDex

For editing, I use GoldWave
Ditto on the CDex, I haven't really gotten into the editing part yet but I may give GoldWave a shot.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Has anyone had any experience with Music Match??? I was talking to my boss last night and that's what he was recommending for ripping and adjusting Sound Level.

Also, will GoldWave edit the sound level??? Guess I'll be checking them out today and see what features they have.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 11:19 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Personally I dont like Music Match. I hear good things about it but I just dont care for it. It seems to want to take control of every type of file and it locked up on me several times. Maybe it is just me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
Personally I dont like Music Match. I hear good things about it but I just dont care for it. It seems to want to take control of every type of file and it locked up on me several times. Maybe it is just me.
One thing I liked that my boss was telling me about was that Music Match will group the music together in Folder's with the Artist Names and when you go online it will look up the info on the song and insert the ID3 tag info and also let you use the whatever taggin convention you want to use. Sounds pretty cool and would save time as well as make things more uniform.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 01:40 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

CDex will do all that too

Music Match is outclassed by orders of magnitude by Windows Media Player, or even WinAmp. WMP will rip / encode to WMA, or MP3 (with a plugin), and will also grab the artist/album/trackname information from the internet.

With CDex, you can set up a template for how your files / folders are named.

I have it set up to create a folder for the artist, a subfolder for the album, and inside the album folder, the trackname with the number (ie: Metallica > Kill 'em All > 02 - The Four Horsemen.mp3). When you load a CD in, it'll give you all the tracks, then just hit the CDDB button, and it'll fill in all the information for you. It'll also automatically generate the ID3 (either v1 or v2, or both) tags if you want it to (under the options).

CDex is hands down, better for ripping / encoding. And it's faster. Plus, it's free. Legally free that is

GoldWave will edit volume levels, and you can do other effects too. GoldWave is very similar to SoundForge, or Cool Edit, in that it's a full on wave editing program. Except it's free. And, if you need the registry patch, and batch file I created to always have it reset it's counter back to 0 whenever you start the program, let me know. But it's really easy to do it yourself.

The counter reset is more to avoid being annoyed when you reach 150 actions, and you're in the middle of editing something, and you can't save the file, as that counts as another action. So you have to close the program, and restart it ... and restart all over again from a 0 counter. I just wrote a batch file that copies the unmodified goldwave.ini file to the Windows folder (overwriting the one that stores the counter data), and also resets the registry key GoldWave uses, to also store the counter data. Then you just run the batch file, it installs the registry key/patch, and copies the ini file, then runs the program, so you always start the program from a 0 counter (the program keeps counting up until 150, even if you close it and re-open it, you'll start off at whatever number you left off at. Once it reaches 150, you can't do anything, until you close the program, and restart it ... then it'll reset the counter back to 0. So it's free, there's technically no limit on it's usage.).

It'll open just about ANY wave form file. I've opened .ac3 files created by DVD2AVI while ripping a movie. I've also opened .wma files and did a batch convert on them to .mp3's (though it choked when I tried opening protected .wma files In fact, copy protected wma files are the only files I've run into that it hasn't opened yet.)

[rant on]
Copy protection on .wma files is the fucking most retarded shit! The files will ONLY play on the computer that created them... that means my cd player that will play mp3's and wma's, can't even play them. I mean ... what's the point of copy protecting your music, if you can't take it with you?!

Mp3's kick ass. None of this namby pamby copy protection bullshit.
[/rant off]

And I know you can dissable the copy protection. But then again ... what's the point of HAVING it ... if you can just uncheck a box to dissable it? BAH!

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement