TurboTax, copy protection, dual booting - must read - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
IA2

Exclamation TurboTax, copy protection, dual booting - must read

FYI-

I saw this over on /. the other day and I though i'd pass it along. TT this year is encrusted with copy protection, namely something called c-dilla. It also writes directly to sector 33 of the boot track on your hard disk. For windows users this is no big deal but if you have a dual boot system it can write over your boot loader (saw some complaints about GRUB getting wiped out).

Also, uninstalling TT leaves the c-dilla crap in place - there is a separate uninstaller for it. Go to www.intuit.com and there is a link on the front page that has all the info.

My little old P1 233 has been real doggy ever since I installed TT and now that i've removed all of it it's much faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 08:16 AM
»\(║_o)/»

What a peice of junk.

How do I uninstall TurboTax 2002 and remove the associated Macrovision SafeCast« (C-Dilla) components from my computer?

To uninstall TurboTax 2002 and remove the associated SafeCast« (C-Dilla) components from your computer, follow the appropriate instructions for your operating system.

Important: Complete your tax return(s) and uninstall TurboTax 2002 before you run the SafeCast Uninstaller referenced in the instructions below.

Windows 95, Windows 98 or 98SE, or Windows Me:
On the Windows taskbar, click Start, choose Programs, choose TurboTax [version] 2002, and then choose Uninstall.
Click Yes at the message "This will permanently remove this program from your computer. Are you sure that you wish to continue?"

Click Yes To All in the Remove Shared File window, and then click OK.
After TurboTax has been removed from your computer, run the SafeCast Uninstaller.
Important: Make sure that you complete Steps 1 through 3 before you run the SafeCast Uninstaller.
When finished, restart your computer.

Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP:
Log on to your computer as an administrator using your administrator user name and password. (If necessary, refer to Windows Help for assistance.)

On the Windows taskbar, click Start, choose Programs, choose TurboTax [version] 2002, and then choose Uninstall.
Click Yes at the message "This will permanently remove this program from your computer. Are you sure that you wish to continue?"

Click Yes To All in the Remove Shared File window, and then click OK.
After TurboTax has been removed from your computer, run the SafeCast Uninstaller.
Important: Make sure that you complete Steps 1 through 4 before you run the SafeCast Uninstaller.
Document ID: 0050001347

Last edited by AbecX; 02-27-2003 at 08:18 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 08:27 AM
World Record Holder!

Man that is BS! I've used TT since it came out.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:34 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Forgive my ignorance... but but I don't quite see the benefit of installing copy protection to the HDD, and not being built onto the CD itself, to try to keep people from copying the CDs?!

Secondly ... why the fuck would they write that shit to the boot sector?! Wouldn't a simple file suffice?

Ahhh well, TaxCut is better

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Unless you are using a cracked version of TT you have to register it first. There is a key number that has to be entered from a sticker on the sleeve, and the registration process takes this key, does something with it on-line with TT's servers, and then writes registration data of some kind to sector 33 of the boot track. After that there is some kind of background process that is installed that incessantly checks/verifies the registration with TT's servers (I think this is the c-dilla thingy). c-dilla is not uninstalled if you uninstall TT, and continues to soak up machine cycles.

If you try to install the CD on another machine it checks the sleeve serial number on TT's servers and refuses to allow the install to proceed unless you "buy" another copy right then and there (a purchase form is apparently available at install time).

Of course, any copy protection can be defeated, even pro-locked diskettes LOL.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement