What kind of laptop should I get? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Ghetto Vaquero

What kind of laptop should I get?

I'm looking to get a descent priced laptop in the next couple days, so what do you guys recommend as far as processor and memory and all that? Anyone got the hookup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Rolling with the homies

I've always liked the Toshiba Satellite Pro's. Fast computers and very nice Video Cards with GeForce 4's (great for gaming).

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Thumbs up

I think Dell laptops are great, that have everything from entry level to mobile desktops with great 3D graphics. Check them out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 06:27 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I'll put my vote in for Dell. Inspiron line is a good line. I've got an Inspiron 8200 w/ the 15" UltraSharp UXGA screen (1600x1200 resolution).

Whatever you get ... I'd HIGHLY recommend the UltraSharp screen upgrade. I've used a top of the line Toshiba Satillite, without an UltraSharp screen ... and the visibility is terrible! You can't move your head more than a few degrees from the center of the screen, before it starts to white out. With the UltraSharp screens, you can almost view the screen from a 180* angle, and still see it.

I dunno if UltraSharp is unique to Dell, or if it may be called something different by other manufacturers. But if it's available ... get it!

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Time Served

If you're looking to be on the cheap, check EBay for a Dell. What's good about Dell is all their drivers are on their website. Most of the laptops on EBay come with a freshly formatted drive and no copy of windows. This is no big deal if you buy a Dell - just locate your favorite flavor of Windows, hit the dell website for drivers and your on your way!

Just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Mmmm.. Nekkid Twins

I've owned (2) Toshiba Tecras and (2) Dell Latitudes, all very high-end when bought. I can say the Toshibas were better products and Dell has REALLY pissed me off almost every time I have called them.

My current Dell has a few annoying bugs like the touch-pad not working intermittently and about 1/20 times it will crash when trying to hibernate. The video will occasionally loose "red" which requires a reboot. BTW I have it connected to a docking station 95% of the time and the issue is prolly in the docking station.

My wife also has a Dell, I forget the model but it's not a cheapo either.. it has the same touch-pad issue and about once every month or so it will loose all the PCMCIA cards, which requires a reboot to fix. When we first bought it (new from Dell) it arrived with a bad bearing in the fan and had to be shipped back.

Don't even get me started talking about their customer support and accounts receivable! @#[email protected]#[email protected]#$

With the Toshibas the only problem I ever had was a PCMCIA modem went bad.. prolly had more to do with a line surge than quality.

Last edited by Llama_Boy; 02-27-2003 at 10:03 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 12:59 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

IMO you just can't go wrong if you buy either a Toshiba or a Dell. All others are crap IMO.

As the sys admin for my company, I have final say in all IT purchasing matters. We only buy Dells as a result. The basic laptop for our people is the Dell Inspiron 2650 with a P4m 1.8ghz, 256MB RAM, XP pro, 20GB HDD, and a 14.1inch screen.

All for $1075.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 01:04 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Heck, I just checked Dells website and they are throwing in a free CDRW. Now the price is 1003 and that is with a P4m 2GHz.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:32 PM
IA2

I'm a little late to this thread but i'd like to throw in my .02

If you are ever buying a laptop for work and you can't afford for it to be broken for more than 24 hours be sure that whatever you buy has next day on-site support. I know dell does this. I think that toshiba and HP have depot maintenance - you ship it off and it comes back fixed in a few days, possibly with a freshly imaged hard disk.

Another thing about dell is that they put up instructions on how to take it apart (thanks kenny_stang!) so if you don't mind working on laptops you can usually fix it yourself once the on-site service expires (on-site = 1 year, parts = 3 years for dell).

My motherboard on my latitude took a crap last thursday. I had the part at my house friday and had a tech out to install it monday morning and I was back in business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement