Laptop memory question...Dell Latitude CPiR 400GT - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:23 AM
fast1992us

Laptop memory question...Dell Latitude CPiR 400GT

I wanted to maximize the RAM in the laptop but have found conflicting info. The Dell site says 256mb max, but the Dell Documentation says 512mb max. Furthermore, some RAM sellers say I can use a PC100 DIMM, but the DIMM in the laptop now is PC66. WTF is going on. Can I run two 256mb DIMMs or only two 128 DIMMs or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

How much do you have in there now? And is there a slot open still?

As for PC100 vs. PC66 ... if your board only supports PC66, getting PC100 won't be a problem, the memory will just slow down to the 66MHz bus speed. However, if you have a 100MHz bus, with PC66 ram on it, it's slowing your whole computer down. Get some PC100 in there and enjoy the little speed boost.

There's usually 2 slots for ram in laptops. If the manual says it'll go to 512meg, that's usually right. But sometimes they'll post updated information on the website, that may conflict with what the manual says. Since the website says 256meg ... ehhh... I'd call the support line, and ask to speak to an L2 tech, or an L3 tech, who'll know to do more than to just look on the website for the answer

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:10 PM
Texas Rangers #1

The Latitude CPi's have two slots, I've upgraded many of them at work, and I know for a fact that 512MB did work, I believe that they where PC100 non-ecc SDRAM chips. BTW, we order our Dell memory through Simple Tech ( http://www.simpletech.com/estore/ind...er=STD0422/256 ), probably cheaper than buying it from Dell.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 11:39 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

DEFINITELY cheaper than buying from Dell. 1GB upgrade for mine when I was purchasing my Inspiron, would have cost an additional $900. So I stuck with the base 256MB, and I've found multiple places with PC2100 512meg chips for $200 or less. One of these days I may pick a couple up, but no need for it right now.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 08:19 AM
IA2

Another good place to check memory prices is crucial:

www.crucial.com

They sell only quality memory, not no-name questionable stuff. I learned long ago to avoid buying cheap-o crappy memory; it causes more trouble than it's worth.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 04:54 PM
fast1992us

Thanks guys. I ordered 66mhz DIMMs and they sent me PC100 anyway. The PC100 did work in my computer, which has me pissed since I bought 256 when I guess I could have gotten 512 after all. Well, the laptop is really only going to be used for Word, internet, and the Tweecer RT on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement