Odd buzzing sounds from desktop - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Odd buzzing sounds from desktop

We have a typ clone pc on win 98, works fine but now it make a random buzzing sounds, and the fan sound sort of varies as the buzzing goes on.

I replaced the atx power supply with a new one but it didn't help, acts and sounds the same as before. The pc works fine but that random buzzing sounds like it will go out soon.

My next guess is that little box cpu fan, is that a good thing to replace next or how about some clues from any pc savvy people?

The only other thing it started doing is hanging on the internet connection, like about 20-30 sec, not sending/recving and data, then, it will just start up receiving again fine. Any ideas what that might be?

THks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 07:00 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

make sure your drive is mounted firmly, if you think it is your cpu fan, I put my finger on it and stop it, if the noise stops then its the fan.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 07:59 PM
98 SVT Cobra

I am guessing it is the fan. I have pretty much the same problem with my cpu fan, but once it warms up the sound goes away.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 03:37 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, usually buzzing sounds are fans. Cpu and video card fans are easy enough to check, like AbecX suggested, just put your finger on it to stop the blades, and see if the noise stops as well ... if it does, time to replace. If the noise continues, it's most likely the p/s fan.

As for the modem connection, best suggestion, make a note of the brand / model of the modem, and call your ISP. They'll usually have initialization strings you can enter, and test out to see if that helps the connection issues. If none work, it could indicate a faulty modem, or faulty phone lines. I know personally, before finally getting broadband, I went through a long period of really shitty connections (and 28.8 is the max where I'm at, so really shitty ... is really shitty. I think I was averaging about 4800baud, and maxing about 9600baud most of the time ), and it turned out to be the phoneline. Hooked a phone up to it, and I could barely hear the dial-tone, over the crackles, and static.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Yeah, usually buzzing sounds are fans. Cpu and video card fans are easy enough to check, like AbecX suggested, just put your finger on it to stop the blades, and see if the noise stops as well ... if it does, time to replace. If the noise continues, it's most likely the p/s fan.

As for the modem connection, best suggestion, make a note of the brand / model of the modem, and call your ISP. They'll usually have initialization strings you can enter, and test out to see if that helps the connection issues. If none work, it could indicate a faulty modem, or faulty phone lines. I know personally, before finally getting broadband, I went through a long period of really shitty connections (and 28.8 is the max where I'm at, so really shitty ... is really shitty. I think I was averaging about 4800baud, and maxing about 9600baud most of the time ), and it turned out to be the phoneline. Hooked a phone up to it, and I could barely hear the dial-tone, over the crackles, and static.
Thks. On the phone line, I am sure it is the pc, not the line as my laptop and the pc both do get 49.3 connections, but only the pc has the intermittent pausing issue. I have replaced the modem card last summer, but the problem didn't go away. I should chk w/ the ISP, that's may help get the settings fine tuned. Thks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks for the replies -- yes the fan was the culprit.

It eventually made a constant screeching sound. I changed it out, and now it's nice and quiet.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement