WinXP command line install tips. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Somewhat off topic ... but anyone know where I could find a list of commandline switches for installing XP? Or, better yet, anyone know of a way to install XP so it doesn't put every fucking driver known to man on the hdd, and instead, only uses the ones it needs/has for the hardware in your system?

It kills me, that a fresh, basic installation of XP takes up 1.2gigs. I know about 400 of that is for system restore. But that remaining 800 megs is like 500 megs of useless drivers that are just there, and 300 megs (possibly even less) of actual operating system files, and used drivers.

It'd be great if I could just install the needed drivers (and if XP doesn't have them, I've got the manufacturer ones), and the rest of the useless crap stay on the CD. On the off chance that I ever need one of those drivers, I can just pop in the cd.

If there's no way to do this automatically on installation, I guess I could do it manually by deleting the shit I don't need. So in lieu of installation switches, anyone know where I can find a list of all the drivers w/ filenames and any secondary uses they may have, that XP copies over, so I can go through and delete what I don't need, and leave only what's being used?

This has been something that's bugged me since 95. DOS was on 3 floppies, and Windows 3.x was on 4 - 6. Once 95 came out, MS had the brilliant idea to start including default drivers ... thus exponentially increasing the size of the OS installation. It's retarded.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 06:30 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

I know this doesnt help but...

To gain access to a command prompt during GUI-mode Setup, press SHIFT+F10.

Shift+F11 - To display "old-style" wizards that give more detail

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 06:38 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_tips.asp

Add/Remove optional features of Windows XP
Contributed by Ong Choon Keong and Hans Breemer

I first mentioned this technique in an old Technology Showcase for Windows 2000, but it still works in Windows XP, and can be quite useful: For some reason, Microsoft has removed the ability to specify which Windows components you want to install during interactive Setup, and when you go into Add/Remove Windows Components in the Control Panel, you still don't have the full list of applications and applets you can add and remove. Thankfully, this is easy to fix.

To dramatically expand the list of applications you can remove from Windows XP after installation, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\inf (substituting the correct drive letter for your version of Windows) and open the sysoc.inf file. Under Windows XP Professional Edition, this file will resemble the following by default:

[Version] Signature = "$Windows NT$"
DriverVer=06/26/2001,5.1.2505.0

[Components]
NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,,4
WBEM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wbemoc.inf,hide,7
Display=desk.cpl,DisplayOcSetupProc,,7
Fax=fxsocm.dll,FaxOcmSetupProc,fxsocm.inf,,7
NetOC=netoc.dll,NetOcSetupProc,netoc.inf,,7
iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,,7
com=comsetup.dll,OcEntry,comnt5.inf,hide,7
dtc=msdtcstp.dll,OcEntry,dtcnt5.inf,hide,7
IndexSrv_System = setupqry.dll,IndexSrv,setupqry.inf,,7
TerminalServer=TsOc.dll, HydraOc, TsOc.inf,hide,2
msmq=msmqocm.dll,MsmqOcm,msmqocm.inf,,6
ims=imsinsnt.dll,OcEntry,ims.inf,,7
fp_extensions=fp40ext.dll,FrontPage4Extensions,fp4 0ext.inf,,7
AutoUpdate=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,au.inf,hide,7
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
msnexplr=ocmsn.dll,OcEntry,msnmsn.inf,,7
smarttgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msnsl.inf,,7
RootAutoUpdate=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,rootau.inf,,7
Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7
CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7
ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7

[Global]
WindowTitle=%WindowTitle%
WindowTitle.StandAlone="*"

The entries that include the text hide or HIDE will not show up in Add/Remove Windows Components by default. To fix this, do a global search and replace for ,hide and change each instance of this to , (a comma). Then, save the file, relaunch Add/Remove Windows Components, and tweak the installed applications to your heart's content

Cool, eh? There are even more new options now under "Accessories and Utilities" too.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 06:57 AM
98 SVT Cobra

This last one is a good one AbecX. I have used it myself to get rid of the annoying ms messenger. Good tip.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Texas Rangers #1

This is the only thing I could find in Microsoft's KB concering setup switches. I have a book that details the setup switches, but I don't have it with me at the moment. I can try to get it this afternoon, but I do not remember an option for not installing all the drivers.

XP Setup Function Keys
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Awesome. I'll check those out, and I've been meaning to do the add/remove tweak, just haven't gotten around to it.

Didn't realize I'd made this a seperate thread ... or did I?

DarkWolf
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:33 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Didn't realize I'd made this a seperate thread ... or did I?
<--- Moderator

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Texas Rangers #1

I found the command line switches, here they are:

/checkupgradeonly Runs the Upgrade Advisor without installing Windows XP
/cmd:command_line Specifies a command to be carried out after the graphical portion of Setup has completed; often used to install applications as part of the Windows XP Setup
/cmdcons Adds the Recovery Console to the Windows XP startup menu (see "Adding the Recovery Console.")
/copydir:folder_name Creates a subfolder within the Windows XP folder and copies the contents of the specified folder there; useful if you need to make drivers available for later installation
/copysource:folder_name Creates a temporary subfolder within the Windows XP folder; this subfolder is deleted when Setup finishes
/makelocalsource Instructs Setup to copy installation source files to your local hard disk; use this option if the CD will be unavailable during installation
/noreboot Eliminates forced reboot after file-copying phase of Setup; useful if you need to execute another command before restarting
/s:sourcepath Specifies source location of Windows XP Setup files, typically on a server; repeat this switch up to eight times to specify multiple servers
/syspart:drive_letter Allows you to copy Setup files to a hard disk, mark the disk as active, move it to another machine, and restart to continue Setup on the new computer; must be used with /tempdrive and can be run only on Windows NT/2000/XP machines
/tempdrive:drive_letter Used in conjunction with /syspart to specify the primary partition to be used for storing Windows XP Setup files and installing a new copy of Windows XP; an upgrade installation will be placed on the partition from which Winnt32.exe is run
/udf:ID[,UDB_file] Identifies a Uniqueness Database (UDB) file that modifies an answer file
/unattend[seconds ][:answer_file ] Used in conjunction with an unattended Setup; optional [seconds ] parameter is only required on Windows NT4 upgrades, and the file name can be omitted if the default name Unattend.txt is used

These came out of the Windows XP Inside Out book, it has very good info on it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
<--- Moderator
Hehehe, aight. Just making sure I wasn't going nuts because of windows blue screens.

Last edited by AbecX; 02-19-2003 at 02:28 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:28 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
Hehehe, aight. Just making sure I wasn't going nuts because of windows blue screens.
J/K!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

DOH! Shit, now I'm getting blue screens that I don't even remember?!

DarkWolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement