Microsoft wants you to pay for emails... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Microsoft wants you to pay for emails...

to reduce spam. Discuss

http://www.research.microsoft.com/re...sv/PennyBlack/

Quote:
The Penny Black project is investigating several techniques to reduce spam by making the sender pay. We're considering several currencies for payment: CPU cycles, memory cycles, Turing tests (proof that a human was involved), and plain old cash. There are multiple system organizations that can support this: senders can pre-compute the appropriate function, tied to a particular message; senders can come up with the payment in response to a challenge after they've submitted their message; senders can acquire a ticket pre-authorizing the message. Recipients would aggressively white-list good senders.
I wouldnt mind paying some 'computer cycles' but what about people using slow PDA's or sending email from their digital wireless phone? I doubt this research will get anywhere close to being implemented, at least I hope not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:47 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: Microsoft wants you to pay for emails...

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
to reduce spam. Discuss

http://www.research.microsoft.com/re...sv/PennyBlack/

I wouldnt mind paying some 'computer cycles' but what about people using slow PDA's or sending email from their digital wireless phone? I doubt this research will get anywhere close to being implemented, at least I hope not.
I personally do not see anything like this happening in the near future. Companies rely to heavily on email to do business on a daily basis. Spare CPU cycles would be a good idea, but I am not even sure companies would totally buy into that. For a smaller company that may mean upgrading every computer which in turn would tear into revenue. Which could be just enough to send them into bankruptcy or cause them to have to close the doors. Just my opinion.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Re: Re: Microsoft wants you to pay for emails...

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
that may mean upgrading every computer which in turn would tear into revenue.
No offense agasint microsoft, but this seems to be what they like to do, and I am actually all for it. It forces people to upgrade, which makes the computer market thrive. It froces changes in the industry, rather then to promote legacy technologies.

I agree though, I dont see it getting big. Good concept though.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 02:23 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

I'd be for it as long as it wasn't monetary based ... or a monetary charge based on computer generated e-mails ... say flag an account that sends more than say 50 emails in a second, and charge that user a scaling amount based on how many emails were sent out per second. That'd pretty much keep legit home users, and businesses from having to pay anything, while spammers will finally get what they have coming to them. Of course, they could just modify their programs to send fewer e-mails per second to avoid the payment, which would result in them sending fewer spams.

I employed a "fight fire with fire" method, and started collecting the email addresses from the shitloads of spam I was getting. I'd check for spoofing and redirection, to make sure I was getting the right email address. And then I compiled some of this list on Lethal Death

We've gotten one of the fuckers to write us, demanding we take down his email address. He even tried claiming he was a lawyer, and was going to sue us for, get this "defimation of character" ... yes, he spelt defamation, defimation. And "persuit" My thought is that one of his own spiders found his address on our site, and he ended up spamming himself because of it.

Fortunately ... or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, we don't get any more spam, since I changed the default webmaster address, and also changed all the e-mail links to point to a form, so none of our addresses are on the site anymore.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 10:31 AM
IA2

I think it's time to come up with a new RFC that is a "secure email" transport of some kind. Instead of trying to filter out spam over the existing smtp/pop protocols - come up with a new transport that incorporates some of the techniques mentioned above, like challenge-response and sender authentication.

To be successful the new protocol would have to be relatively painless to adopt and would require support from the big dogs of the computer industry.

Anyone that figures out how to successfully implement a system like this could make a lot of money.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
I'd check for spoofing and redirection, to make sure I was getting the right email address. And then I compiled some of this list on Lethal Death
Is that some sort of website? Id be interesting in fighting back some of these jerks that just send a ton of mail.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkWolf
I'd be for it as long as it wasn't monetary based ... or a monetary charge based on computer generated e-mails ... say flag an account that sends more than say 50 emails in a second, and charge that user a scaling amount based on how many emails were sent out per second. That'd pretty much keep legit home users, and businesses from having to pay anything, while spammers will finally get what they have coming to them. Of course, they could just modify their programs to send fewer e-mails per second to avoid the payment, which would result in them sending fewer spams.
Now that's an idea! Charge just the spammers!

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:08 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang_marc
Is that some sort of website? Id be interesting in fighting back some of these jerks that just send a ton of mail.
Aye, I'd say the address is in my sig ... but http://www.lethaldeath.com ... Under Lethal Essays > Target Practice, there's a link to the "Big List of Spammers".

Feel free to send me any addresses you get (not the e-mails themselves, just the addresses ), and I'll add them to the list. You can check the headers of the e-mails to determine where they actually came from ... for a pretty good writeup on how to do this, check out http://www.all-nettools.com/ , and click on Privacy Guide, and then Working with E-mail. It's a good place to start.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement