Help Abex - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Boost is Good
 
The Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: With Weapons of Mass Instruction
Posts: 3,135
Unhappy Help Abex

GETTING NO SOUND FROM ANYTHING
From the beginning, when I first installed Red Hat, I was using the GNOME interface and my sound worked fine, but I reinstalled Red Hat to go with the KDE interface and now my sound is not working. So now I have re-installed Red Hat again thinking I messed up something is why my sound will now work, but it is still not working. The irony behind the whole thing is that each time I do the install it has the spot where you test your sound to see if it works and that worked every time. Any suggestions?
The Punisher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:02 AM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
run sndconfig as root

If it plays sound in root, but not when you are logged in as a regular user, check the permissions on your /dev/snd0

chmod 777 /dev/snd0

AbecX is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:05 AM
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Re: Help Abex

Quote:
Originally posted by 281R
GETTING NO SOUND FROM ANYTHING
From the beginning, when I first installed Red Hat, I was using the GNOME interface and my sound worked fine, but I reinstalled Red Hat to go with the KDE interface and now my sound is not working. So now I have re-installed Red Hat again thinking I messed up something is why my sound will now work, but it is still not working. The irony behind the whole thing is that each time I do the install it has the spot where you test your sound to see if it works and that worked every time. Any suggestions?
Click on the Red Hat at the left hand side of the screen, go to "Prefrences" then "Sound". Make sure "Sound Server Startup" is enabled. You can the click on "Sound Events" and test to see if you hear sound. When I first installed Red Hat, the "Sound Server Startup" was not checked.

-k
Kenny_Stang is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:07 AM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Re: Re: Help Abex

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny_Stang
Click on the Red Hat at the left hand side of the screen, go to "Prefrences" then "Sound". Make sure "Sound Server Startup" is enabled. You can the click on "Sound Events" and test to see if you hear sound. When I first installed Red Hat, the "Sound Server Startup" was not checked.

-k
WHAT THE FRUCK IS ALL THAT SHIZCRAP!?

Good god I hate gui crap
AbecX is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:08 AM
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Re: Re: Re: Help Abex

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
WHAT THE FRUCK IS ALL THAT SHIZCRAP!?

Good god I hate gui crap
I'm guessing if you have the "Sound Server Startup" checked it automatically starts sound when GNOME or KDE open up? Just guessing.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:10 AM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Angry Re: Re: Re: Re: Help Abex

You guys need to install Enlightenmnet, KDE/Gnome is about as cool as Windows

AbecX is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Pimp Juice ca. 1997
 
Roscoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Black at heart
Posts: 12,220
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help Abex

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
KDE/Gnome is about as cool as Windows
LFMAO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
Roscoe is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 11:57 AM
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help Abex

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
You guys need to install Enlightenmnet, KDE/Gnome is about as cool as Windows
is there an easy way to install enlightenment? I downloaded it and it required half a dozen other files that had to be downloaded and installed first. they, they had to be configured and what not. WAAAAAY out of my league.
Hollywood is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:08 PM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
All you have to do is install 3 other packages. Damn lazy windows users! The only thing you have to configure is your .xinitrc file which thats easy:

echo "exec enlightenment" > ~/.xinitrc
AbecX is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
All you have to do is install 3 other packages. Damn lazy windows users! The only thing you have to configure is your .xinitrc file which thats easy:

echo "exec enlightenment" > ~/.xinitrc
I'll load enlightment, i've used it in the past but don't remember the differences between it and KDE or GNOME.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:53 PM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Thumbs up

Enlightenment:

AbecX is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 01:51 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
You all now know why I went with Mandrake. It came with all that stuff installed. I can pick and choose what type of desktop I want and all I have to do is logout and back in. I have a choice between Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, WindowMaker, IceWM, and BlackBox.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
MoonDog is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good
 
The Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: With Weapons of Mass Instruction
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
You all now know why I went with Mandrake. It came with all that stuff installed. I can pick and choose what type of desktop I want and all I have to do is logout and back in. I have a choice between Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, WindowMaker, IceWM, and BlackBox.
You suck!
The Punisher is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 04:07 PM
98 SVT Cobra
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central IL
Posts: 5,109
Yeah, I know. But I am smart too.
MoonDog is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 08:31 PM
We lost one.....
 
Mychael101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Red Oak TX
Posts: 6,415
Can somebody please walk me thru this process step by step? How much should I set aside for the Linux O/S 5-8 Gigs sound about right? I was thinking about having something user friendly so I can kinda get my feet wet. Thanks!
Mychael101 is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Boost is Good
 
The Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: With Weapons of Mass Instruction
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally posted by Mychael101
Can somebody please walk me thru this process step by step? How much should I set aside for the Linux O/S 5-8 Gigs sound about right? I was thinking about having something user friendly so I can kinda get my feet wet. Thanks!
I can help ya. (I think)What step or problem are you at right now. And what Linux system are you installing? Red Hat?
The Punisher is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 04:55 PM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
One of the great things about running linux is the base install maybe a little bit larger, but most of the applications are VERY small since they use most of the same applications. I would set aside at least 2 - 4gb if you are just going to use it to test the waters, that'lll give you a good amount of space for applications and virtual memory, you can always mount your windows partation and use it for extra storage if need be.

AbecX is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good
 
The Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: With Weapons of Mass Instruction
Posts: 3,135
I went with the 20GB/20GB combo
The Punisher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome