Question about dual boot with Win98 and Red Hat - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Boost is Good

Question about dual boot with Win98 and Red Hat

Ok guys, maybe Abex can help out. But I have only Red Hat 8.0 installed on my system. But now I would like to duel boot with Win 98 also, but now I cant install Win98 or delete the Linux partition using the Win98 boot install CD or even using FDISK from a Win98 boot disk. Anybody ever done this or know how I can do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 01:37 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Thumbs up

Do you still have the Linux install CD's? Boot off the CD, when it gets to the part asking about the partitions, remove all the partitions and then shut the computer down. That should allow you to use FDisk to recreat the partions, then make one partition for your Win98 installation, and leave enough space for Red Hat. Install Win98 first then install Red Hat and use Lilo to dual boot them. I think that will work.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 02:14 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Yes, it is easier if you load windows first, create your partitions and then load linux. If you are having trouble doing this, maybe we can get together sometime this week and we can go through it.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Warden

Agreed, but its not an issue if being better to load W98 first, you have to.

Since W98 has no bootloader and is stupid about such things, it would over-write any boot stuff another OS installs, unless you already had a 3rd party loader installed.

For future reference, always install the "dumbest" OS first. The
"smater" ones will have bootloaders and not screw it up.

So an order would be:

W98
W2K or XP
Linux

And always try to install the different OSes on different partitions. You have to with linux, but its a good idea with windows.

As far as removing linux or other partitions, get a dos based tool called delpart.exe of the web, it will delete any kind of partition. Its mandatory when needing to rebuild boxes that have/had linux or NTFS and you are dealing with W98.

Last edited by chris; 12-10-2002 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement