Overclocking CPU - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Overclocking CPU

I have never actually gone through and tried to do this before. My understanding of things like multipliers, frequency, core voltages etc is pretty damn slim. Can anybody here shed some light on how correctly overclock your CPU and why it works ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:52 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Many parts of the system can be overclocked, but the processor is the most common. Processors are designed to run at different speeds, just like your other hardware. This way, it can work with a variety of systems. Besides, chips are often labeled slightly lower than their actual speed so that the manufacturer can guarantee it will work at that speed.

The actual speed of the processor is controlled by jumper settings on the motherboard. These jumpers control the bus speed and the processor speed. The reason this is built into motherboards is so one board can operate a number of different processors.

Since system speed is controlled by jumpers on the motherboard, you change the jumper settings on the board and make it think it has a faster processor. For example, if you have a Pentium-200 on a motherboard, you change the settings to make the board think you are running the next fastest Pentium, you could try 233MHz if you're brave. This works because the chip does not have an inherent speed. It accepts the speed given to it by the motherboard. If you're lucky, this will work. If it doesn't work, you may have periodic errors and crashes, or, if overclocked too much, you could damage the chip. A lot of times, you can add extra cooling to the chip to increase the chances of a successful overclocking.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Timmay

Re: Overclocking CPU

Quote:
Originally posted by EquusCriollo
I have never actually gone through and tried to do this before. My understanding of things like multipliers, frequency, core voltages etc is pretty damn slim. Can anybody here shed some light on how correctly overclock your CPU and why it works ?
i have never done it before but I know that you have to be careful. The easiest way is to increase the FSB. The higher the voltage you set the higher the temp. You also have to be careful with the PCI bus speed cause some of the older ide hard drives and such have a problem when you increase the mhz. there are some articles online that I have read. don't remember them off hand but just use google to search. I don't know much at all but that is about all I can remember.. don't quote me on it though

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:27 PM
Rolling with the homies

I bought a Dual Processor MB a couple of years ago with Dual Celeron 333 MHz's that were overclocked by that vendor to 550 MHz each and bench tested. Ran great for over a year and than I started having overheating windows lock up problems. Unclocked it and it ran fine.

I did clean up the fans but it still ran hot so I just left it that way. If I had to do it again I'd probably not OC it and just buy the speed of processor I want. Just my $.02.

Check out OverClockers.com for info about different combinations you can try.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 05:41 AM
\(_o)/

Overclocking isnt it worth it imho, with today's prices so cheap on cpus, I'd just spend the extra cash for something faster, I mean, who really cares when you have a 2.4GHz cpu to go faster, do you really need it?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement