Is it illegal or not? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Location: You've seen mine, Now lets see your's...Come with what you GOT!! No excuses!!
Question Is it illegal or not?

I need Windows Xp software for my computer. Can i get the software from anyone and download it to my computer. That goes for any kind of programs?

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:42 AM
Lifer

With the XP, I think it would be very difficult to pirate. You have to register it on line for it to run. There are MANY computer people on this site who are wiser than I...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:43 AM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally posted by Vertnut
With the XP, I think it would be very difficult to pirate. You have to register it on line for it to run. There are MANY computer people on this site who are wiser than I...
You can get around it, but I've heard people having issues doing windows updates with specfic serial numbers. Go spend the $200 and get WinXP, its well worth it!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:45 AM
STILL EVIL!!

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Go spend the $200 and get WinXP, its well worth it!

Alright you must be lacking sleep because that doesn't seem to be sarcastic
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:49 AM
\(_o)/

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by OvrKill
Alright you must be lacking sleep because that doesn't seem to be sarcastic
Wouldnt you pay $200 for such a great operating system?

Wait, its only $99 for the upgrade and $159 for the full version, not bad !!!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:58 AM
Lifer

We just put a new system together, and the XP is awesome. It was $99 at Frye's with the purchase of some hardware.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:49 AM
98 SVT Cobra

There are serial numbers and crackz to get around the product activation but you would need to do some searching around the net to find them. A good place to start is http://astalavista.box.sk/. This is a good site for finding serials and crackz for just about anything you need.

Once you do this though you will not beable to do any kind of updates to the software at all, as it will deactivate the serial number.

Windows Activation crack can be found here: http://cracks.thebugs.ws/pages/W/4.shtml

A good working serial number will be alittle harder to find.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:51 AM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
There are serial numbers and crackz to get around the product activation but you would need to do some searching around the net to find them. A good place to start is http://astalavista.box.sk/.
Once you do this though you will not beable to do any kind of updates to the software at all, as it will deactivate the serial number.
Windows Activation crack can be found here: http://cracks.thebugs.ws/pages/W/4.shtml
A good working serial number will be alittle harder to find.
Sounds like a lot of work!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:21 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Sounds like a lot of work!
He asked. He could just download Red Hat and not have to worry about whether it is legal or not.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Location: You've seen mine, Now lets see your's...Come with what you GOT!! No excuses!!
seriously i know nothing technical about computers. just windows and microsoft. all that was greek to me. how much would it cost if one of you computer guys (moondogg) came over and did all the work to my labtop? $$

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:10 AM
Lifer

I have a copy of XP pro that requires no activation (registration) and will do whatever updates that you want.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Lifer

I would just get windows 2k, or LINUX
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Quote:
Originally posted by bartman
I have a copy of XP pro that requires no activation (registration) and will do whatever updates that you want.
really is there a price or you gonna hook me up. Please bartman Please. can you install in?

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:13 AM
Christian Woman

Cool

It took about 2 extra minutes to change the product key to update XP, including figuring out how to do it...and now I've burned the copy of SP2 into the install, so it's set right from install on.

Then again, 2000 rocks XP's world, fuck XP...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:16 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by M.O.D.
really is there a price or you gonna hook me up. Please bartman Please. can you install in?
I'm sure we can work something out, as long as you promise not to call me fartman I'll PM you after my morning meeting.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Quote:
Originally posted by TAMUz06
It took about 2 extra minutes to change the product key to update XP, including figuring out how to do it...and now I've burned the copy of SP2 into the install, so it's set right from install on.

Then again, 2000 rocks XP's world, fuck XP...
why is 2000 better then xp. Just curious. I know nothing remember, be nice.

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:22 AM
Christian Woman

Thumbs down

Personal preference...I've always only been able to characterize XP as too much of an 'AOL' version of Windows...
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:30 AM
Warden

I'll do it for $40 hr labor and it will cost $100 for the XP OS. If its only an OS install, it will take an hour, if its backing up your data and then reinstalling all programs and data, 2-3 hours. Thats also if you are close by or will deliver to me.

I own my own IT company and I do this stuff regularly for clients.

I have had no problems with XP as long as you upgrade to the lastest service packs. Seemed a little flaky before that. I would do XP over 2K because its newer.

As far as the legality, yes its illegal to download it from the internet and install it. Unless you get a special version with a certain registration key, it will not even work. While it is possible, it can take work and possible future maintenance. I do not suggest it for non-nerds and especially if you are worried about legalities.

-Chris

Last edited by chris; 12-09-2002 at 08:34 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Quote:
Originally posted by bartman
I'm sure we can work something out, as long as you promise not to call me fartman I'll PM you after my morning meeting.
alright cool, and you caught that huh. well i was kidding but let me know.

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:15 AM

XP vs 2k

XP is hands down better than 2000. Much more solid.

Here are a few CLEAR advantages over Windows XP vs Windows 2000 professional.

1. System Restore.
2. Remote Desktop. (Helpful for administrators to remote control the workstation to troubleshoot issues)
3. MSCONFIG (great at troubleshooting startup problems)
4. File and transfer wizard (nice if you have to disjoin a workstation from a domain, rejoin without losing the user's profile settings)

Basically Windows XP is what Microsoft wanted Windows 2000 to be.

I can't tell you how many hours I have saved trying to diagnose networking issue with remote desktop. I don't have to wait for the customer to relay errors to me. I can see it for my self.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:23 AM

Unhappy Am I legal?

http://www.howtotell.com/ww/script/select_wizard.asp

Here's a link to Microsoft. This is an easy way to tell whether or not you have a legit copy of Windows.

Piracy sucks.

Stealing sucks.

Nobody here in this forum would like it if they got ripped off. I know a lot of people in these forums don't see it as stealing, but it really is.

Pirates are just as bad as common theives.

No matter how you slice it, it's still stealing.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:48 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: Am I legal?

Quote:
Originally posted by boozin_late

Here's a link to Microsoft. This is an easy way to tell whether or not you have a legit copy of Windows.

Piracy sucks.

Stealing sucks.

Nobody here in this forum would like it if they got ripped off. I know a lot of people in these forums don't see it as stealing, but it really is.

Nobody here condones stealing. Crackz, serialz and warez are out there for testing purposes only. If you like a product and intend on keeping it, buy it.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Lifer

Re: Am I legal?

Quote:

Piracy sucks.

Stealing sucks.

You work for MS, huh?
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:01 AM

I think stealing sucks. One of my pet peeves. Until you have been ripped off (which i have) you'll know what I mean. I have had a car stolen, car broken in to, stereo ripped out of my dash.

It's all the same.

It's still stealing!

Stealing is not cool.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:34 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
I think stealing sucks. One of my pet peeves. Until you have been ripped off (which i have) you'll know what I mean. I have had a car stolen, car broken in to, stereo ripped out of my dash.

It's all the same.

It's still stealing!

Stealing is not cool.
You have made your point, like I said, noone here condones stealing. If you have a beaf about stealing you need to address it in the Back Porch.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 01:35 AM

XP is crackable. My buddy spent a grip of time and I threw some in too, now we have a excellent copy of XP running flawlessly. Updates work and all. The only thing is nothing is automatic. BIG DEAL! Install is not for the inexperienced however. Lots of little details that could kill you in the long run. I will agree with many that posted in here, XP is worth it. I came from 2000 professional and its still a huge leap.........and I've only had it up for maybe 6 hours! IMHO skill level dictates whether you should buy it or hack it. This is my morally devoid opinion.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 07:35 PM

Ive got a corporate edition that doesnt need to be activated, you just install and run it. I have it running on 3 systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement