Hey AbecX, some Linux questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Hey AbecX, some Linux questions

I want to dual boot a system with either Win98 or Win2k and a version of Linux, can you do this ? ( and how? )
I have never loaded linux before so which version should I download from where ? Any good sites with info on how it works and what utilities and software you can get for free ? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:18 AM
Custom Title

I have no opinion on which version or where to download one from, but you can dual boot Linux/Windows. Go to Yahoo or Google and for the search, type in
dual boot linux
and you'll find all sorts of stuff!

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:19 AM
\(_o)/

Thumbs up

Dual booting Linux is much easier then one would think. Perhaps the best way to do it is to install your Windows OS's first, and then with the space you have left, install the Linux Partition and set LILO ( it stands for Linux loader, its just a boot loader for the OS ) to the MBR during install of your distribution. I would recommend using Redhat 8.0 or 7.2.

I've only dual booted a system once ( win2k and rh 7.1 redhat ) and it worked like a charm with the setup I stated above. It was a laptop 266mhz pentiurm w/ a 4gb drive.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 09:30 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I currently have a dual boot that I did about 3 weeks ago. It was the first time I attempted something like that and it was very easy. I am running WinXP and Mandrake 9.0 using LILO as my boot loader. Linux will walk you through step by step in the process of creating a partition and formating to the new file system.

You can pick up the Linux iso's at http://www.linuxiso.org/.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

Last edited by MoonDog; 12-06-2002 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement