upgrading memory - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

upgrading memory

ok i know i dont have crap for it 64mb i ahve three slots what should i do. btw its a compaq. i just want it to run a little faster than it is and i heard this will help. also best place to buy? would be helpfull as well. i dont know jack about this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 02:42 AM
\(_o)/

Thumbs up

You're in luck, ram is cheaper then its ever been. Its very easy to upgrade as well, and it improves system performance BIG time. I recommend going here:
http://www.pcboost.com/store/memory.asp
and ordering the cheapest 512mb ram DIMM you can get ( should be like $28 ). This will make your computer run faster then it ever has with 64mb of ram. Its also very easy to install as well.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

yeah i can see how to install it is easy just not sure on what to buy. its a compaq 5000 series.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 05:36 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by sleeperLS
yeah i can see how to install it is easy just not sure on what to buy. its a compaq 5000 series.
This is probably the one Abex is talking about. Only $27. Basicly, you will want the PC133 over the PC100 because it it faster.

http://www.pcboost.com/store/viewite...IDProduct=2144

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:12 AM
Warden

It all depends on his computer system. Older systems will only support pc100 and not 133. If its really old, it might take simms.
And some systems require ECC memory which is different yet. You need to go to Compaqs site, look up your computer and find out what Ram your PC takes.

EDIT: GO here http://www.orderingmemory.com/compaqconsumer/

It will applow you to select your system and it will give you the memory you need. But dont buy it from them, just get the type and go someplace else.

-Chris

Last edited by chris; 12-02-2002 at 07:21 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:31 AM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally posted by chris
It all depends on his computer system. Older systems will only support pc100 and not 133. If its really old, it might take simms.
And some systems require ECC memory which is different yet. You need to go to Compaqs site, look up your computer and find out what Ram your PC takes.
Well he most likely has dimms because he has 3 slots and very rarely have I seen any simm setups accept non pair'd ram. Most vendors will always recommened ECC ram but it will cost you more, I guess thats one of the advantages of building your own computer.

I dont think he will notice to much difference between pc100 and pc133, I still use pc133 in my mainbox ( 1gb of it ) and it seems to work good ( non ecc as well ). I'm going to upgrade my box in the next few months to a beast, I wonder if I'll notice a bunch of performance gains going from pc133 to that crazy pc800? p4 rambus stuff.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:45 AM
Television taste funny

PC133 should clock back to PC100 if that is all his system will support and also I do not think that any of the Presario series from Compaq came with ECC memory.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 09:18 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by 96MYSTIC
PC133 should clock back to PC100 if that is all his system will support and also I do not think that any of the Presario series from Compaq came with ECC memory.
Agreed, I had an old compaq from about 5 years ago and it had pc100. Even if his only supports pc100, it won't hurt to put pc133 in it, since it is the same price. I believe these systems came with either pc100 or the pc133, depending on the model.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

ok this is what it said.

http://www.orderingmemory.com/smbe/i...ario&x=16&y=11

tell me what to get
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 10:11 PM
Warden

Go buy a single stick of 256 MB PC133 and just get rid of your 64 MB since its probably pc100, its not generally a good idea to mix speeds. Check circulars for best price, should be between $9 and $25. If more than that, you are paying too much.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 09:18 AM
Lifer

I am thinking about doing this to the one I was working on the other day. I did notice there is a difference in the length of the boards?? Whats up with that. I had some short boards and the one I am working on needs longer ones??
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 07:36 PM
Time Served

Your best bet would be to pull your current memory stick and bring it with you to CompUSA/etc. and have them identify it. Their prices are a little bit higher than online stores but you not going to have to wait plus you'll get what you need instead of what you "think" you need. IMHO.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 04:16 AM
Don't Mess with Texas!

How old is this Compaq? You cant just stick any generic stick of ram in there, I dealt Compaq and dell and HP computers, especially the older ones that used PC-66 ram and people were buying PC-133 and even 100 and it wasnt registering the ram properly. Take out the stick that you have and read off what is exactly on the seperate black chips on the memory board. I can tell you what Nanosecond the ram is and what speed it is.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

update i went and baught a stick of 256 pc133 and it works fine. the didnt have any pc100 so i said fuck it and they said i could bring it back if it didnt work. well its working like a champ. i should have done this along time ago im now a happy camper again. and i get my broadband next week two years of dial up its time for a change.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:16 PM
We lost one.....

I tried to put a 512 stick of PC133 in my gateway system and it wouldn't even boot! I put that same stick of ram in my old laptop and it worked perfectly. So I took the 256 and swapped it in for the 512 in my gateway system. So I guess I'm happy with 384mb of ram for now. Still don't under stand why that stick of 512 wouldn't work and I'm running XP so there shouldn't have been a problem with it not recognizing the additional memory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement