Windows XP Installation help. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
\(_o)/

Red face Windows XP Installation help.

I've got a buddy who intrusted me in formating and installing Windows XP on his current crashing Windows XP laptop. Unfortunatly the copy of Windows XP CD that I have is unbootable. The only computers my dad and brother have are Win2k and I cant create a good bootable floopy with all the nifty DOS tools to format c:

Any ideas on what I can do? I have my brother scouring the web for a copy of the old pimp windows format tools. Thanks for any links to the stuff I need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
\(_o)/

Angry

Alright, I got a win98 boot disk, removed the partation for NTFS, and now I find out the copy of WinXP I have is a freaking upgrade only version. [vent]*sigh* and people wonder why I got sick of messing with this secular, boring, and annoying OS. [/vent]

I'm going to try and find a copy on kazaa(sp?)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:23 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
Alright, I got a win98 boot disk, removed the partation for NTFS, and now I find out the copy of WinXP I have is a freaking upgrade only version. [vent]*sigh* and people wonder why I got sick of messing with this secular, boring, and annoying OS. [/vent]

I'm going to try and find a copy on kazaa(sp?)
I have Win98. I could make an .iso for you and upload it to your server. Then all you would need to do is load the Win98 and then upgrade to XP.

http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!

Last edited by MoonDog; 11-27-2002 at 11:26 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonDog
I have Win98. I could make an .iso for you and upload it to your server. Then all you would need to do is load the Win98 and then upgrade to XP.
To much legacy, I dont want to slow the laptop down by doing an install like that. We are downloading the supposed full version from a buddy, hopefully it'll work.

On the plus side, I just picked up a great laptop for myself, a 700MHz p3 Compaq I think I am going to put windows on it and give the 600p3 currently running windows to my sister. Nothing like saving some space Although the video card is really shitty!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:34 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
To much legacy, I dont want to slow the laptop down by doing an install like that. We are downloading the supposed full version from a buddy, hopefully it'll work.

On the plus side, I just picked up a great laptop for myself, a 700MHz p3 Compaq I think I am going to put windows on it and give the 600p3 currently running windows to my sister. Nothing like saving some space Although the video card is really shitty!
Thought I would lend a hand. Anyway, hope that download works. I have gotten some bad software off there before, never an OS though. Good deal on the laptop, my wife would like to have one but with Christmas right around the corner I cant really afford to get one right now. Let me know if that download works, I have a full version of XP Pro I might let you use, for a small fee ofcourse.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 12:05 AM
None

I'm gonna be in Rowlett for Thanksgiving. I can let you borrow my copy of Win98 SE CD if you want to go that route. Give me a PM before 8am tomorrow with directions and I'll drop it in your mailbox tomorrow morning.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:09 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Check out the following article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;305595

This has everything you will to get your machine up and running without a bootable cd. Please PM me if you have any direct questions.

Thanks,
Brian

1998 White Mustang GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 05:47 PM
Timmay

i think that you can make a boot disk in XP. rightclick on the A drive, select format and check the boot disk option. maybe that'll work
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
\(_o)/

Yeah, boot the boot disk XP makes just boots, doesnt have any cool tools on it like fdisk or format. MS thinks of everything to piss you off sometimes

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 10:35 PM
Warden

I have the boot image and directions to make an XP disk bootable if you have the rest of the files on a HDD. PM if you still need it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:23 PM
Pimpin ain't Eazy

Boot Floppies

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310994

You can download the boot floppies from MSFT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement