Linux - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Da Bomb like ticktick

Linux

figured AbecX could help me here

how is it so hard yet so easy , where can i get it , how do i get it , i see all this mess about it and im pretty much fed up with how much crap i put up with windows , i need something BETTER

answers please

1984 Mustang GT ( T-Tops ) "Beware of the 4-eyes"
www.angelfire.com/tx5/bombsquadracing

Stock n Slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Warden

You can buy linux from the store, but if you have DSL/cable you can download it for free.

There are many different distributions, they are essentially the same core software with different delivery methods and features enabled.

I personally like Redhat, you can download a boot disk, and install the entire os via FTP in about 2 hours depending on your internet speed.

-Chris
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Da Bomb like ticktick

ive got cable , do i need certain requirements on my comp. to run the thing and where can i get it ?

Stock n Slow

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:47 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Re: Linux

Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfKaos219
figured AbecX could help me here

how is it so hard yet so easy , where can i get it , how do i get it , i see all this mess about it and im pretty much fed up with how much crap i put up with windows , i need something BETTER

answers please
Here are a couple of links to help you find a good distro. Abex is running Red Hat, I have Mandrake. They both are very good and are very easy to set-up. Abex is the linux guru so I am sure he can answer any question you have.

http://www.linuxiso.org/
http://www.distrowatch.com/

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Da Bomb like ticktick

kool , im at my tech class right now , but its only till 11 , ill start readin n downloadin when i get home.

off to play Counterstrike ( man this class is sooooo hard )
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:51 AM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
kool , im at my tech class right now , but its only till 11 , ill start readin n downloadin when i get home.

off to play Counterstrike ( man this class is sooooo hard )
Most of the links for downloading are going to be ISO images. So you will need to burn them to a cd first before you can use them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:51 AM
\(_o)/

Re: Linux

Quote:
how is it so hard yet so easy
To me it was hard because I had spent so much time in the windows world ( almost 6 years at the time ) and grown accustom to having stuff done for me, in the linux world, its a lot more user involved, but the plus side is, once something works, it works and doesnt break.

Quote:
where can i get it, how do i get it
Linux is basically the kernel or the brain, what you want to get is a distrobution ( commonly referred to as a distro ). There is a bunch of different distro's out there, redhat, mandrake, slackware, and the new unitedlinux which is a conglomerate of some the older smaller distro's, and this is just a short list. There is other versions like WinLinux which strive to give you Linux stablity with a windows style GUI and software compatiablity.

Quote:
i see all this mess about it and im pretty much fed up with how much crap i put up with windows , i need something BETTER
I myself do not like RH8.0, I feel they have turned towards desktop WAY to much in that version, but to others, thats just what they would need. I would recommend RH8.0, or Mandrake for a beginner, and even WinLinux ( which I havent tried ) for use on your desktop computer.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:57 AM
98 SVT Cobra

I installed Winlinux 2003 on WinXP Pro and it did not work. It installed just fine with no errors but came up with some missing file error when I tried to run it. So I went with Mandrake 9.0 instead.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:48 AM
\(_o)/

Thumbs up Windows to Linux FAQ

Not much info, but it might help you out a little.
http://www.control-escape.com/lx-win-faq.html
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:56 AM
ls...who?

All this linux [email protected]!
Thats it, its time to reinstall it...
Slackware 8.0!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Da Bomb like ticktick

kool , thanks for all the info , ima be doing alot this afternoon i see.

Stock n Slow
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Da Bomb like ticktick

one more quik Q now that im at home , will i loose everything on my desktop if i download it or what?

Stock n Slow
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:01 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
will i loose everything on my desktop

I dont understand.

Disclaimer:
No other posters were flamed, ridiculed, persecuted, belittled, berated, judged or otherwise in the making of the above-posted reply. It is with respect all are asked to observe this and to provide the same courtesy bestowed upon those who have posted and those who will post. Yada, Yada, doublespeak and so forth!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Mmmm.. Nekkid Twins

I am seriuosly considering swtching back to Linux after a 8 year hiatus.. other than Win2K pro I have been less than impressed with the commercial software lately. I was running Linux at home before win95.

Last week I installed 7.2 RH on an office machine that will do remote connection and RADIUS. It gave me the bug again, no pun intended. I just d/l'd ALL of the 8.0RH ISOs and I should have them burned before walking out the door today.

BTW
Has anyone run a RTCW server on a linux box? I have a dedicated T1 on the above mentioned box that would make a great server. I've already d/l'd the bins ad pathes but have been waiting to do the install untill I upgrade the box to 8.0.. any advice would be great.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Da Bomb like ticktick

will i loose n e thing , ie - files , folders , games , music , aohell , etc. is installing linux just like starting completly over?

Stock n Slow
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:27 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
is installing linux just like starting completly over?
Yes and no, it just depends on how knowledgeable you are on the install, you can keep most of your data files, as far as applications migrating over, its not for the weak at heart, sometimes it does take some tinkering with to get application specfic dll's to work in wine. For the most part, be preparied for a format/reinstall type experience if you do the linux conversion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Llama_BoyHas anyone run a RTCW server on a linux box? I have a dedicated T1 on the above mentioned box that would make a great server. I've already d/l'd the bins ad pathes but have been waiting to do the install untill I upgrade the box to 8.0.. any advice would be great.
I've installed and setup multiple gaming servers, quake 3, solider of fortune, unreal torunament, and even a battle net clone. Its really rather easy, just install the game in console mode, and then just run the right syntax of commands. quake3 -dedicated 192.168.0.1 I think thats what I typed to get quake 3 in dedicated server mode on ip address 192.168.0.1 pretty easy
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:35 PM
98 SVT Cobra

Quote:
will i loose n e thing , ie - files , folders , games , music , aohell , etc. is installing linux just like starting completly over?
You dont have to. I would create a new partition and install Linux on there. You can run a dual boot, that way you will still have Windows with all your current programs and files. Partition Magic is pretty easy to use and you can download it off Kazaa.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Da Bomb like ticktick

i know enough to get me through this im sure , so this shouldnt be that hard , just wanted to know if i was gonna loose n e thing or if i had to put them away in a folder , thanks.

Stock n Slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement