iPhone 3G, OS4.x downgrade to 3.2.1...? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Got Lateral G's??

iPhone 3G, OS4.x downgrade to 3.2.1...?

Anyone successfully pull this off? I've been reading and trying since 2pm today and ZERO luck....

bout to throw this 3g in the lake because it's so slow.

help!

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97 View Post
Anyone successfully pull this off? I've been reading and trying since 2pm today and ZERO luck....

bout to throw this 3g in the lake because it's so slow.

help!
did you ever jailbreak it on the older software? if so, when you started up cydia for the first time, did you select "make my life easier"? if so, i can tell you how to do it. if not, then you won't be able to...at least i don't know of another way. if you make that selection, saurik saves your info, and you can direct itunes to his server to sign off on the older software...apple won't sign off on it anymore.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
did you ever jailbreak it on the older software? if so, when you started up cydia for the first time, did you select "make my life easier"? if so, i can tell you how to do it. if not, then you won't be able to...at least i don't know of another way. if you make that selection, saurik saves your info, and you can direct itunes to his server to sign off on the older software...apple won't sign off on it anymore.
Never did the jailbreak. It's a phone that gets my email, surfs the net occaisonally and makes calls. Only thing I prefer the phone for is the map feature which is now so painfully slow, I bought a GPS unit for my car cause I use it so much for work.

I like the idea of the iPhone but I am at the end of my two year contract and want something new. I'm considering the iPhone 4 but honestly, I already have an ipod and GPS...although there are a couple apps I like but I am sure android has them too.

I'd like to give this phone to my mom as her phone is one of my old ones from 2005 but I doubt she could deal with the slow speed and required data plan.

Maybe I will just take it to the range and shoot it?!

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 01:28 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Never did the jailbreak. It's a phone that gets my email, surfs the net occaisonally and makes calls. Only thing I prefer the phone for is the map feature which is now so painfully slow, I bought a GPS unit for my car cause I use it so much for work.

I like the idea of the iPhone but I am at the end of my two year contract and want something new. I'm considering the iPhone 4 but honestly, I already have an ipod and GPS...although there are a couple apps I like but I am sure android has them too.

I'd like to give this phone to my mom as her phone is one of my old ones from 2005 but I doubt she could deal with the slow speed and required data plan.

Maybe I will just take it to the range and shoot it?!
in that case, I don't think that there is a way to downgrade. It sucks, but that's apple for ya. You might try to take it to an apple store and ask if they'll downgrade it for you, but it's not likely that they could even do it. If you have another phone, you could always just sell that one on craigslist and pick up another one...there's always people looking for iPhones.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:23 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Put Android 2.2 on it.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50 View Post
Put Android 2.2 on it.
Holy shit. I thought you were joking, but apparently thats actually possible. I might have to try this out

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Time Served

I did the same with my 2G iPod touch. iTunes automatically updated me to 4.0 when it first came out and I quickly realized that it sucked badly on the 2G. So, I downgraded it to 3.1.2 and all is well.

Search the interwebz and find the ipsw file. For example, mine is called "iPod2,1_3.1.2_7E18_Restore.ipsw". From iTunes, Hold down the Option key (on a Mac) or whatever that is on a PC (Left Shift I think?) and click Restore. It will pop up a window that will allow you to browse to the ipsw and restore from that file.

There may be more to it on an iPhone, so don't take this as gospel but I would think the same technique would get you started. I love my Apples, but shit like this becomes a pain in the ass. Gladly I don't have to fuck with it too often

Hope this helps

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post
I did the same with my 2G iPod touch. iTunes automatically updated me to 4.0 when it first came out and I quickly realized that it sucked badly on the 2G. So, I downgraded it to 3.1.2 and all is well.

Search the interwebz and find the ipsw file. For example, mine is called "iPod2,1_3.1.2_7E18_Restore.ipsw". From iTunes, Hold down the Option key (on a Mac) or whatever that is on a PC (Left Shift I think?) and click Restore. It will pop up a window that will allow you to browse to the ipsw and restore from that file.

There may be more to it on an iPhone, so don't take this as gospel but I would think the same technique would get you started. I love my Apples, but shit like this becomes a pain in the ass. Gladly I don't have to fuck with it too often

Hope this helps
i don't know how you did it...maybe apple was still "signing" the old software for a short while after the new software came out, but i doubt that they still are. you can download the ipsw and go through the process, but when itunes looks to apple's server to sign the old software, it will bring up and error code and you'll have to install the new software again. you might want to give it a try, but i really doubt that it will work...i hope it does, though!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Got Lateral G's??

There Is a way to do it and there is a program to sign the version but I could not get the old version to load. Posting this from an iPhone 4.... Lol!!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue302stang View Post
Holy shit. I thought you were joking, but apparently thats actually possible. I might have to try this out
More info please! I might give the old phone to my mom.

Thx

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
More info please! I might give the old phone to my mom.

Thx
Google it. I know it's possible, but I've never done it, nor seen it done, or even know the specifics of it.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Strong to Quite Strong

Sounds like this has been resolved, but I successfully downgraded my old iPhone 3g a few weeks ago.

I had updated to 4.01 but it was so painfully slow I couldn't take it. I didn't want to upgrade to 4.1 because I use that phone when I travel internationally. I finally tracked down all the right ipsw files and auxillury programs to reactivate it as a 3.1.2 3g. Seems to be working well now but I haven't spent much time using it. If anyone cares I can probably find the info again.

Currently I have a 4 and am eagerly awaiting the unlock that has been promised after iOS 4.2 comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement