Value of 60GB PS3? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Value of 60GB PS3?

I've currently got a 60GB PS3, but am wanting to get a new PS3 Slim 120GB Move. Since the 60GB PS3 is the only one that has backward compatibility for PS2 games, I know that they are inherintly more valuable.

So what do you guys think my PS3 is worth? I just had it professionally repaired and refluxed after I got the Red Light of Death, so it should work perfectly fine for a long time.

The PS3 Move is $399, and I'm wondering how close to that I can come.

- BigJason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Lifer

$250ish I'd expect.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

Why do you want to change systems? If all you want is the move part, you can buy it seperately. It's $100. If you want a bigger harddrive, go buy whatever size you want and have somebody install it. It'll be cheaper all around and you'll still have backwards compatibility. Plus the build quality of the older systems is 10x that of the slims.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I am a Motherfucker

Really it's not worth alot. The old fat systems come with a shelf life with YLoD syndrome just like xbox RROD xboxes. If you can get someone to spend 200 bucks I take it in a hurry. 250 is about what gamestop and pawnshops sell them for. They would give you less then 100 bucks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Worth about 10 bucks, I'll give you 20.

My 60gb got the red light error a few months ago, still haven't had the time or money to get it fixed.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRR View Post
I've currently got a 60GB PS3, but am wanting to get a new PS3 Slim 120GB Move. Since the 60GB PS3 is the only one that has backward compatibility for PS2 games, I know that they are inherintly more valuable.

So what do you guys think my PS3 is worth? I just had it professionally repaired and refluxed after I got the Red Light of Death, so it should work perfectly fine for a long time.

The PS3 Move is $399, and I'm wondering how close to that I can come.

- BigJason
My 80 gig is backwards compatible, and I picked up the move for a $100 at best buy.

just sayin....

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I was under the impression (per a google search, and what I'd heard) that only the 60GB were backwards compatible, and since I have no PS2 games, I thought that maybe I'd take advantage of any moderate level of demand there may be and get a new system with zero hours.

I had my YLOD error fixed by a guy outside of Keller that had a professional board to heat up the solder & flux and do a proper repair. Charged me $45.

I guess it's caused by dust building up on the heat sincs (or something like that), and while I'm rarely here, my house does seem to be particularily dusty. I'll change my HVAC filter more often, but there's probably not much more that I can do....short of buying a new PS3 or repairing it every so often.

Thanks for the input guys.

- BigJason
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 AM
I am a Motherfucker

Quote:
I was under the impression (per a google search, and what I'd heard) that only the 60GB were backwards compatible, and since I have no PS2 games, I thought that maybe I'd take advantage of any moderate level of demand there may be and get a new system with zero hours.

I had my YLOD error fixed by a guy outside of Keller that had a professional board to heat up the solder & flux and do a proper repair. Charged me $45.

I guess it's caused by dust building up on the heat sincs (or something like that), and while I'm rarely here, my house does seem to be particularily dusty. I'll change my HVAC filter more often, but there's probably not much more that I can do....short of buying a new PS3 or repairing it every so often.

- BigJason
Hahaha, Sorry but taking it to "a guy in keller" isn't a propper fix to YLoD syndrome just a temporary fix. Sony has a deal where you trade in your PS3 FAT for a Slim if you send them your Fat one plus 100 bucks. Since you took it to a guy in keller im sure he had to break all the factory tamperment seals so that deal doesn't apply anymore. I've had a slim since launch and ity works great. Before that I went through 2 fat 80gig and about 20 xboxes. 20xbox+2 PS3 80gig < 1 PS3 Slim soo far.
I boycot microsoft xbox even though my little bro bought one of their new "fixed" black systems. We will see how that one holds up lol.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM
dead

Quote:

- BigJason
the 60GB units werent the only backwards compatible units, but there is 1 60gb model that is the considered the best ps3.

of the TWO 60gb models.
1. model CECHAxx. it has hardware based ps2 emulation and is the most sought after. they used to sell for a lot more but now are around $250 on ebay.
2. model CECHCxx has partial software ps2 emulation. this isnt that special b/c there was an 80gb model released after.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well the "guy in Keller" showed me his repair board that was designed just for these types of repairs...it contacted the motherboard in the right places, heated them up to a very specific temp to allow him to add flux back in the right places. Just cleaning the heat sincs is the temp fix, right? I thought that what he did was a more compreshensive fix. Either way, it was worth the $45...but maybe you get what you pay for?

And yes, I actually broke the seal when I initially attempted to fix it myself following an online video tutorial, so that option isn't available anymore.

Oh well...I'll probably just keep this until it stops working again and then upgrade to a PS3. Was just interested in seeing if there was a market for this backward compatible unit.

Thanks again.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Time Served

People still play ps2 games?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 AM
dead

Quote:
Oh well...I'll probably just keep this until it stops working again and then upgrade to a PS3. Was just interested in seeing if there was a market for this backward compatible unit.

Thanks again.
it shouldnt break.

if it's overheating due to dust build up, just keep a can of compressed air around.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I am a Motherfucker

Yup, actually sony has just as lousy as a repair as that huy I bet. I would have spent the 45 bucks too rather then paying 100+shipping to sony for another fixed YLoD console. But really theres no win win...Just buy a game console and hope it lasts..The odds are not with you just play the odds. I concider myself a loser in the console game but Im still buying them lool.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Well the "guy in Keller" showed me his repair board that was designed just for these types of repairs...it contacted the motherboard in the right places, heated them up to a very specific temp to allow him to add flux back in the right places. Just cleaning the heat sincs is the temp fix, right? I thought that what he did was a more compreshensive fix. Either way, it was worth the $45...but maybe you get what you pay for?

And yes, I actually broke the seal when I initially attempted to fix it myself following an online video tutorial, so that option isn't available anymore.

Thanks again.
Can you PM me his info?

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_A_G View Post
People still play ps2 games?
Hell, I'll bust out ps1 games at times.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well, this one had an error code about a year ago and I sent it back to Sony then for a $100 or $150 repair, I forget.

I think it's all about dust, so I'm trying to think about buidling some kind of dust shield that would still allow access for cooling. Honestly, I rarely take the COD disk out of the machine, especially now that you can download the Netflix software.

PM sent.

- BigJason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement