Coax cable... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Coax cable...

do you have about 20 ft. laying around or do you know a good local place that has competitive prices? I looked at Radio Shack and they are very expensive compared to the stuff sold on Ebay. I don't really want to wait for an order if someone had some they weren't using. We have wireless at the house but it sucks, so we are going to hard wire it to our cable internet and I need to run a new cable where we have our new computer set up. Let me know how much if you are willing to sell me some. I need the screw on connectors please.

I am in FW and can pick it up anywhere close to FW.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

I've got a box of it at the house , but I'm in Sachse.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Lifer

You should probably specify that you need RG6 for your cable modem, so people won't be offering you the standard RG58/59 grade stuff. And you can go to Altex Electronics and get a roll of it or have a specific length cut if you can't find a donor. Also try http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstang1 View Post
I've got a box of it at the house , but I'm in Sachse.
Do you ever come close to FW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
You should probably specify that you need RG6 for your cable modem, so people won't be offering you the standard RG58/59 grade stuff. And you can go to Altex Electronics and get a roll of it or have a specific length cut if you can't find a donor. Also try http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
I have plain-jane coax cable hooking up my internet to my other cable and it works fine. What is the issue with using regular coax cable?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin

I have plain-jane coax cable hooking up my internet to my other cable and it works fine. What is the issue with using regular coax cable?
RG58/59 is typically used for baseband transmission and short throws. RG6 is heavy shielded for long cable throws and designed for cable modems/Satellite TV. It is the standard for all Satellite TV.

If you compare the width of the cable jacket and copper thickness between the two you'll see a striking difference. They both use the standard F connector. If you are going to run a long cable length, save yourself the headache and get RG6. They are less susceptible to electrical noise interference and signal attenuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
RG58/59 is typically used for baseband transmission and short throws. RG6 is heavy shielded for long cable throws and designed for cable modems/Satellite TV. It is the standard for all Satellite TV.

If you compare the width of the cable jacket and copper thickness between the two you'll see a striking difference. They both use the standard F connector. If you are going to run a long cable length, save yourself the headache and get RG6. They are less susceptible to electrical noise interference and signal attenuation.
Learn something new everyday.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
On a 20' run you don't need RG6, you'll be fine w/ standard stuff. I have some leftover sans connectors from when FIOS was installed and it's white. I'd be willin to ship if you can wait or pass through N Garland sometime.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
On a 20' run you don't need RG6, you'll be fine w/ standard stuff. I have some leftover sans connectors from when FIOS was installed and it's white. I'd be willin to ship if you can wait or pass through N Garland sometime.
Pm sent

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Replied

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Do you ever come close to FW?

not usually man

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Licking the windows!

Paladin, I got what you need. If you are near South FW/Crowley area...PM me, I have plenty and put my own compression connecters on.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 AM
duh...duh....duh

I'm not trying to start and argument here, but generally speaking isn't coax shared media? Meaning not CS/CDMA type media. Splitters are splitters, not any sort of device that intelligently distributes the signal it receives.

So if you're running the lower end cables, that may or may not be cheaply made then you risk issues on a cheaply made/installed cable causing issues with other segments. I understand in this case we're talking about the MOCA type or similars standards and not network. However, I think the concept would still apply to use the same cabling types throughout if at all possible. If for no other reason but to reduce the risk of problems on the overall segment.

I concur that you're likely okay with whatever you put in there. I would just advise to start now on putting better cables in, it's one less you'll down the line if you decide to upgrade. Also, I noticed some on-site troubleshooters will whine at some people running cheaper cables to their CPE. At least in reference to FIOS, to clarify.

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
Paladin, I got what you need. If you are near South FW/Crowley area...PM me, I have plenty and put my own compression connecters on.
TX Redneck has offered to help me out. If he can't do it then I will hollar at you. I live in SW FW in the Candleridge area so I am close to you.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I'm not trying to start and argument here, but generally speaking isn't coax shared media? Meaning not CS/CDMA type media. Splitters are splitters, not any sort of device that intelligently distributes the signal it receives.

So if you're running the lower end cables, that may or may not be cheaply made then you risk issues on a cheaply made/installed cable causing issues with other segments. I understand in this case we're talking about the MOCA type or similars standards and not network. However, I think the concept would still apply to use the same cabling types throughout if at all possible. If for no other reason but to reduce the risk of problems on the overall segment.

I concur that you're likely okay with whatever you put in there. I would just advise to start now on putting better cables in, it's one less you'll down the line if you decide to upgrade. Also, I noticed some on-site troubleshooters will whine at some people running cheaper cables to their CPE. At least in reference to FIOS, to clarify.

This will be my 2nd computer hooked up by standard cable. The first one has been hooked up that way for over 4 years at this house with no problems, so I am okay staying with this cable for the new computer. I appreciate the information though.

The stuff the cable compnany is running from the outside source into my house is what I call standard cable anyway, so putting high end stuff all through the house doesn't make sense if the stuff coming in is standard.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
TX Redneck has offered to help me out. If he can't do it then I will hollar at you. I live in SW FW in the Candleridge area so I am close to you.
Just hollar if you do, you are right, I am not far from you.. maybe a couple of miles at most.

GIFSoup
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Hey Paladin, if he's gonna give you the cable w/ compression connectors, it wouldn't hurt my feelins one bit if you got it from him. Whatever you prefer if fine by me. I won't have the pretty connectors though, my Father in-law is out of them but you're still welcome to the cable if you want/need it.

Lemme know,
Bryan

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Lifer

Frys should have what you need.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
Just hollar if you do, you are right, I am not far from you.. maybe a couple of miles at most.
PM sent

Quote:
Hey Paladin, if he's gonna give you the cable w/ compression connectors, it wouldn't hurt my feelins one bit if you got it from him. Whatever you prefer if fine by me. I won't have the pretty connectors though, my Father in-law is out of them but you're still welcome to the cable if you want/need it.

Lemme know,
Bryan
Okay, hold up on that PM then. I will get back to you soon.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 AM
dead

compression connectors arent cheap!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

I PMed you back before seeing your previous post so if it doesn't work out, I'm gonna get me some crimp on connectors this evening anyhow and I'll have the crimpers as well if it doesn't pan out w/ Mirefire.

Just call me at the number in my PM reply, it's much easier for me.

Bryan

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
I PMed you back before seeing your previous post so if it doesn't work out, I'm gonna get me some crimp on connectors this evening anyhow and I'll have the crimpers as well if it doesn't pan out w/ Mirefire.

Just call me at the number in my PM reply, it's much easier for me.

Bryan
Okay, I will call if it doesn't work out with Mirefire. I really appreciate the response guys!

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
This will be my 2nd computer hooked up by standard cable. The first one has been hooked up that way for over 4 years at this house with no problems, so I am okay staying with this cable for the new computer. I appreciate the information though.

The stuff the cable compnany is running from the outside source into my house is what I call standard cable anyway, so putting high end stuff all through the house doesn't make sense if the stuff coming in is standard.
Fair enough. Networks/systems like this are only as good as their weakest link/component anyway.

My '03 Sold.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Cool, lemme know.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
compression connectors arent cheap!
Correct... the tool cost me $75 if I remember correctly and the ends were like $15 for a bag of 25 or 50...don't remember

GIFSoup
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks to Mirefire (David) I now have enough coax cable to run the line. It was really nice meeting you David.

Don

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Thanks to Mirefire (David) I now have enough coax cable to run the line. It was really nice meeting you David.

Don
You too Don!

GIFSoup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement