netbook owners what are you using for a external dvd drives? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
DFWS

netbook owners what are you using for a external dvd drives?

just need one to play not necessary to write.

really i'd like to have one that doesn't sound like a jet when it spins up a dvd to play

Keepin' The Old School Alive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post

really i'd like to have one that doesn't sound like a jet when it spins up a dvd to play
Other than having to carry around an external DVD drive and usb cable, the noise is one of the other reasons I got rid of my netbook and got a REAL ultraportable laptop instead...same size as a netbook with a lot more functionality. NOW...to answer your question...Frys, Amazon.com, Best Buy, Microcenter, CompUSA, Ebay, or even Craigslist is a good place to look for external USB powered DVD drives. I doubt in this day and age you can find one NEW that isn't a Double Layer DVD+-rw burner, and for a few more bucks you can even get one that is slot loading (no tray to break). I've seen em advertised multiple times for about 30-50 bucks..or on Ebay you can use BUY IT NOW with free shipping and get one for prolly 20 bucks. They pretty much all use the same mechanism (NEC or Panasonic/Matsushita).

FUCK Canada
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Rolling with the homies

I picked up the cheapest one I could find at Fry's, I wanna say they all make the jet sound as they spin up. Hell even my desktop does that. Don't use it to often so it's never really been a problem.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Lifer

I use my old XBox HD-DVD drive. Figure I might as well get some kind of use out of it.

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmbre97 View Post
I use my old XBox HD-DVD drive. Figure I might as well get some kind of use out of it.

HAHAHA Hell yea.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
DFWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
Other than having to carry around an external DVD drive and usb cable, the noise is one of the other reasons I got rid of my netbook and got a REAL ultraportable laptop instead...same size as a netbook with a lot more functionality. NOW...to answer your question...Frys, Amazon.com, Best Buy, Microcenter, CompUSA, Ebay, or even Craigslist is a good place to look for external USB powered DVD drives. I doubt in this day and age you can find one NEW that isn't a Double Layer DVD+-rw burner, and for a few more bucks you can even get one that is slot loading (no tray to break). I've seen em advertised multiple times for about 30-50 bucks..or on Ebay you can use BUY IT NOW with free shipping and get one for prolly 20 bucks. They pretty much all use the same mechanism (NEC or Panasonic/Matsushita).
yea i've got a nice laptop but the netbook is easier to travel with! thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
I picked up the cheapest one I could find at Fry's, I wanna say they all make the jet sound as they spin up. Hell even my desktop does that. Don't use it to often so it's never really been a problem.
thanks

Keepin' The Old School Alive
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
That's a dang good idea.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post

I know this would be more difficult, but if you have the HDD space, you could install Daemon Tools Lite and make copies of your flicks/progs(ISO) and mount them w/ the virtual drive you created via DTL.

Technically, you wouldn't have to do that for your flicks but you get the concept. You could also invest in a 32Gig flash/small portable HDD drive or several smaller FDD's. They're rather cheap these days.

Just "thinkin out loud." Hope it helps.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The Velocity Micro USB drive I picked up for my netbook had the NEC drive go out on me. I picked up a used internal Blu-Ray/DVD Burner combo drive with the same interface and installed it in the USB case I had. Works great for data, but unfortunately neither my Dell M1210 or my Sony TX has the video hardware to play back Blu-Ray, and SO FAR I don't know if my Macbook Pro can play them or not until Apple decides to support Blu-Ray or I decide to install Win 7 on it.

FUCK Canada
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
The Velocity Micro USB drive I picked up for my netbook had the NEC drive go out on me. I picked up a used internal Blu-Ray/DVD Burner combo drive with the same interface and installed it in the USB case I had. Works great for data, but unfortunately neither my Dell M1210 or my Sony TX has the video hardware to play back Blu-Ray, and SO FAR I don't know if my Macbook Pro can play them or not until Apple decides to support Blu-Ray or I decide to install Win 7 on it.
Don't be scuuured!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement