Best phones on the market? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Best phones on the market?

I'm still looking into buying a brand new phone..... Just curious as to what are some of the best phones available at the moment and also if anything new is coming out that I should possibly be waiting for.

I've been looking into all of these phones so far.

-Nexus One
-Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
- HTC Evo
- Iphone 3gs
-Samsung Vibrant
-Coming soon G2 with google for t-mobile

Any I'm missing?

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Lifer

Nexus One is no longer available is it?

My list of the top phones out there right now, in the order I would consider them.

Droid X
Evo 4G
iPhone 4

And people dig the new samsung android phones although the specs are worse than the Droid X and Evo and no can give me a reason why they like them more.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Droid X
Droid X?

I believe the Nexus One is still available.

I'm looking at the phone now....... Damn it's nice as fuck kinda like the Evo though seems like. What service provider?

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

what phone is better?

Droid X or Droid Incredible

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAjeff View Post
Droid X?

I believe the Nexus One is still available.

I'm looking at the phone now....... Damn it's nice as fuck kinda like the Evo though seems like. What service provider?
Yes Motorola is getting confusing with the droid name. First was the droid, then the droid X and right after the x came the droid 2. The droid X has better specs than the droid 2 though but hte droid 2 has the slide out physical keyboard like the original droid does.

The Nexus is a nice phone, I currently use one everyday. But google announced the program was a failure and last I heard they were shutting down the google store and sold off the excess of phones to Android developers. Where did you find it for sale? Here is the messege I get when I go to google.com/phone

Sorry, folks...
The Nexus One is no longer available for purchase directly from Google. For more information on how to purchase the Nexus One, check out our help center.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Lifer

I read the other day to stay away from Samsung phones. They will give you about 6 months support and discontinue them after that. Meaning, I have a moment and Samsung will not make the 2.2 update for it. 1 update for the phone's life. Pathetic.

Don made me remove my sig
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTFanatic View Post
I read the other day to stay away from Samsung phones. They will give you about 6 months support and discontinue them after that. Meaning, I have a moment and Samsung will not make the 2.2 update for it. 1 update for the phone's life. Pathetic.
Just flash a 2.2 ROM then and get over it. www.xda-developers.com

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Curious how many of you are with Verizon?

What is you guys average monthly bill? They seem a bit excessive.... $120 a month?

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Time Served

I have Verizon, i have the droid x with unlimited everything and i pay $107 a month. Thats including insurance.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
what phone is better?

Droid X or Droid Incredible
Performance wise they are basically the same. It depends on if you want a bigger phone with a bigger TFT display (X) or smaller with an AMOLED display (Incredible). The X also has an HDMI port so if you ever plan on plugging it into a larger display then it's the obvious choice.

Verizon here as well, it's $29.99 for a data plan plus whatever voice plan you are on. My bill is close to $200 every month but there are 5 phones on the account.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
$uper $low

Question

If you need a physical keyboard, the Samsung epic on Sprint, or wait for the G2 on t-mobile. If not, and you like simple smart phones, it'll be a toss up between HTC evo, Samsung epic, Droid x, Samsung vibrant or captivate. If you like to tweak and mod your phone a lot, any of the Android phones will suit you. If you just want ease of use, and are willing to be happy with out customizing, iPhone 4 is for you.

A lot more comes into play. What are you going to primarily use the phone for? I use line heavily for remote desktop and typing on forums (like I'm doing now), and I can't imagine trying to do that on a screen smaller than 4 inches now.

Samsung epic has my vote for now:

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Time Served

I'm waiting on the G2 from tmobile. I sill have the G1. Its damn durable.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

Im with Verizon on a DroidX. I have the 450 min. Unlimited messages and data -$74 a month. I love the Droid X.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Time Served

EVO 4G is amazing .. ive had the nexus one, g1, my touch, iphone(s), hd2, etc etc .. my favorite to date is the EVO on sprint

"I'd rather be rich than stupid"
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Time Served

my vote is the vibrant or whatever is on your carrier IE: vibrant for TMO the captivate for ATT, the Epic 4g for sprint or the fascinate for Verizon. i think the display is way better than any phone out there except the iphone 4. but that's just my opinion. i was gonna go with the either the droid x or the vibrant but i was already with TMO so i decided just to stay with TMO.

edit. o yeah keep an eye on amazon when the galaxy s came out amazon had smoking deals on them. i think they have the fascinate for verizon for 1 cent right now. yes 1 penny.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Fascin...5714929&sr=8-1

and a epic review from here:

from this:
https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420904
to this:
https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=421811

Discount tire Reppin TXD 17

Last edited by my fear; 09-28-2010 at 04:55 PM.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
The Medium Kabuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscraper1 View Post
I have Verizon, i have the droid x with unlimited everything and i pay $107 a month. Thats including insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post

Verizon here as well, it's $29.99 for a data plan plus whatever voice plan you are on. My bill is close to $200 every month but there are 5 phones on the account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord19 View Post
Im with Verizon on a DroidX. I have the 450 min. Unlimited messages and data -$74 a month. I love the Droid X.

I think I'm getting hosed on my plan... I have the 2000 minutes and 300 text, with friends and family, for 2 blackberries (so 2 data charges) and my bill is $180-$200/month. That is with a 19% discount on the plan from my wife's work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquished
tou must think i am dumb or returded
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldecharmoy
i know what a long block is and i know what a short block is
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
I think I'm getting hosed on my plan... I have the 2000 minutes and 300 text, with friends and family, for 2 blackberries (so 2 data charges) and my bill is $180-$200/month. That is with a 19% discount on the plan from my wife's work...
You're definetely getting fucked. I pay $75 for unlimited everything. I'm with tmobile.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
fuckcanada

my evo 4g is better than my iphone as a phone, but media + "gaming" apple wins that hands down.
Its a tough call, but I would ultimately go with my iphone simply due to the whole package..

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Does Droid have some sort of pad similar to the iphone? Or are they going to make one?

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Does Droid have some sort of pad similar to the iphone? Or are they going to make one?
pad?

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Do you mean Android OS on a tablet? Or a motorola droid type tablet? If so, samsung has a tablet coming out that runs on android, not sure about motorola.

post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Android is an operating system, not a manufacturer. Other than the G1 Google didn't/doesn't offer an actual phone, just the software. If you want Android on a tablet the closest thing I know of is this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/mobile-stre...=mobile-streak

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
my evo 4g is better than my iphone as a phone, but media + "gaming" apple wins that hands down.
Its a tough call, but I would ultimately go with my iphone simply due to the whole package..
Ipod for media, evo for everything else.
It's so much easier controlling remote computers with the larger screen. Web browsing is so much better, etc etc etc.
IPhone does win in terms of media and gaming, but even the best iPhone games are either being ported, or have copies on Android. Then, paying them with a bigger screen makes it all the awesome sauce.
I gave up my 3gs, and could never imagine doing what I do with this phone on that little screen. Including the browsing and posting I'm doing right now.
If Apple seriously steps up the screen real estate next year, it mayyyy get my vote. But even then, I only used Pandora for music and not the itunes software.

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:17 AM
duh...duh....duh

I have a Droid X and pay about 163 dollars a month for it. Unlimited everything and it is a business phone that I get reimbursed for and all that. Verizon is the provider.

I'm a Droid X fan. It's basically the largest phone on the market and the cons to that are...

Battery life can suffer if you're not careful
It can sometimes can be difficult to handle

The pros IMO are with the 4.3" screen....
Watching movies on it is enjoyable
GPS works well and can be seen since it is the size of most other GPS devices

Otherwise the android market is slowly but surely maturing and it does everything needed. Generally a lot of the apps that are popular on the iPhone market are on the Droid market, just not as mature.

If you're not a Droid fan, I'd just buy an iPhone.

DX Picture for reference....

My '03 Sold.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM
2girls1cup

I would like to get the Blackberry Torch if I had ATT.

Verizon roughly $150 a month unlimited everything and all features. I have the BB Storm.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I have a Droid X and pay about 163 dollars a month for it. Unlimited everything and it is a business phone that I get reimbursed for and all that. Verizon is the provider.

I'm a Droid X fan. It's basically the largest phone on the market and the cons to that are...

Battery life can suffer if you're not careful
It can sometimes can be difficult to handle

The pros IMO are with the 4.3" screen....
Watching movies on it is enjoyable
GPS works well and can be seen since it is the size of most other GPS devices

Otherwise the android market is slowly but surely maturing and it does everything needed. Generally a lot of the apps that are popular on the iPhone market are on the Droid market, just not as mature.

If you're not a Droid fan, I'd just buy an iPhone.

DX Picture for reference....
I hate the material the screen cover is made out of, and i hate how Moto made it 4.3 taller than say the evo's 4.3 that's a little wider and better for page viewing.

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:
I'm still looking into buying a brand new phone..... Just curious as to what are some of the best phones available at the moment and also if anything new is coming out that I should possibly be waiting for.

I've been looking into all of these phones so far.

-Nexus One
-Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
- HTC Evo
- Iphone 3gs
-Samsung Vibrant
-Coming soon G2 with google for t-mobile

Any I'm missing?
Go take a look at the Galaxy S model for whatever carrier you want. People have already named them: Vibrant, Epic, Fascinate, etc. The screens are phenomenal and the performance is as well.

I am currently rockin the Samsung Epic 4G from Sprint. This thing is awesome and I'm very picky about handsets.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

can't go wrong with either the evo or the epic, or on a different carrier any of the current galaxy s phones. Believe sprint has another galaxy phone coming out, probably sans keyboard. Don't like the new VZ one coming out but my friend has the fascinate, pretty cool but maybe a little too thin for my taste? all good phones though.

My next phone will have android or possibly depending on how things go.... windows phone 7.... definitely no iOS.

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I hate the material the screen cover is made out of, and i hate how Moto made it 4.3 taller than say the evo's 4.3 that's a little wider and better for page viewing.
Fair enough, I hate anything Sprint though. What the screen is made of is null and void to me after putting invisa-shield on it. I find the screen width to be a wash.

My '03 Sold.
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Lifer

I've got an Evo and we just picked up an Epic for my mom this weekend. The only think I like better on the Epic is having the physical keyboard but the screen had a weird grainy dot matrix look to it which made text more pixelated when the screen was zoomed all the way out. I'm going to go look at another one to see if there is an issue with her phone.

BTW, 2 phones w/ 1500 minutes and unlimited everything else for $122 a month after taxes.

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Hired Hand

The only thing wrong with my BB Bold is that it isn't the new model. My clutzy hands have to have a full-size keyboard, and the scroll button is "Iphone"esque enough for me.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
The only thing wrong with my BB Bold is that it isn't the new model. My clutzy hands have to have a full-size keyboard, and the scroll button is "Iphone"esque enough for me.
black berry huh?
Sorry to hear that.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:28 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTFanatic View Post
I doubt Samsung is going to scrub their new Galaxy S line of phones so soon, the phones themselves are pretty damn nice IMO.

Quote:
What sort of discount are you getting because I've got that same plan and it runs me about $105 a month after insurance, taxes, and fees.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
black berry huh?
Sorry to hear that.
Yeah, we're about to have to switch to all Blackberry's here at Dell.

No more Active Sync per company policy. Even though Dell is now making Android phones...

I guess I'm going to try a Torch

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post

What sort of discount are you getting because I've got that same plan and it runs me about $105 a month after insurance, taxes, and fees.
Well I don't have the insurance and I get a government employee discount. 20% I believe.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Well I don't have the insurance and I get a government employee discount. 20% I believe.
Ah that makes sense, the insurance is only an extra $6 a month I think, I was trying to figure out what the other difference was from.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:43 PM
mannish boy

been rocking a G1 for a while, I'm going to try a MyTouch slide
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
been rocking a G1 for a while, I'm going to try a MyTouch slide
Why not try a G2?

I'm running a leaked 2.2 rom on my galaxy s, everything is working perfect for me.

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50 View Post
Why not try a G2?

I'm running a leaked 2.2 rom on my galaxy s, everything is working perfect for me.
aren't the G2's brand-ass new?

I've got a no contract plan w/ T-mo, so I rock the used phones only! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement