Wifi wireless at 3000 feet? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: If I listened to you, i would have a mustang just like yours!
Wifi wireless at 3000 feet?

has anyone had any success with a product at this range? I am in the middle of nowhere so there will be minimal interference from microwave ovens and cordless phones.

This one says 1.2 miles but i am extremely skeptical.
http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-...pr_product_top

This one includes a router and im less skeptical but it claims 1 mile
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...-MILE-LITE-K12

price range is around $200 total including router.

I did some research and they have wifi in some parts of the country that can cover 120+ miles using an old satellite dish... that is crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Full tilt boogie !!

try this place www.air802.com

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

looks like this actually may be pretty easy, I didnt know 802.11 went so far

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 AM
duh...duh....duh

I've seen wireless over some distances, but not with 300 dollar products. Are you trying to bridge to areas together? What's in-between those two areas? Typically our guys find a way to get the devices above ALL trees and such with poles, towers, building mounts...whatever they can. heh, the one they tried to shoot between two trees recently (short building, customer had no budget for a tower/pole) did not work out well in the end.

Anyway, in short I've never heard of the cheaper things working well and some more information would be helpful.

Oh, two fo the products our folks seem to like are...

DragonWave

Motorola PTP line..

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Lifer

I have equipment that will run it 2.4 and 5.8 over 2 miles. I use to run a wifi compand have the antennas still. I also have a 1 watt amp for this which pushes it to almost 6 miles if the transmitter is high enough. PM me and I will give you price for the transmit and receive antennas and the amp if you want it. you will just need to have a router and wireless bridge.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman85turbo View Post
looks like this actually may be pretty easy, I didnt know 802.11 went so far
With line of sight and directional antennas it can go pretty far with off the shelf cheap stuff. Wokfi and cantenna projects have gone as far as 15 miles under ideal conditions.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
duh...duh....duh

IMHO, when doing these things clear line of site and solid mounts are clutch. I still hate wireless in general, but when done right it can work in situations where cabling just is not feasible.

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

yah im exploring my options, my property is about 2 miles long, my house is in the middle and my uncle lives on the far end near the highway. he has access to cable and dsl, whereas i only have access via 3g/1rtt or satelitte internet, both of which are not what i want.

the house that has broadband access is about 200ft higher elevation than the house that needs it, and there is pasture and some trees between the two. i found one wireless bridge system that does not require line of sight and will go up to 1.2 miles, which is twice what i need, and will operate at the standard 54mbps 802.11g speed. the dsl is 12mbps so thats fine. the only problem with that setup is the price, $459
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Google cantennas, it's easy and cheap to make a strong directional antenna that will boost the range well beyond what you are looking for. Basically two pringles cans, two USB wifi adapters and two old dish or direct dishes are all you need. The trees might be a problem but as long as most of the signal makes it through you are good.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Lifer

I have what is called rootenna that you put a wireless bridge in and a 15db omni antenna vertical polarization and 16db horizantel. 100.00 will get you a new Rootenna and the 15db omni. 160.00 will get the 16db with a rootenna.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Lifer

Few years back I started experimenting with homemade "cantenna's" and discovered that if built and setup right you might be amazed how well they work. Important thing is no obstructions...it really needs to be line of sight. I was able to get a clean usable "free wifi" connection from a whataburger about half a mile from my house. Weather drastically affected it but under most conditions it was pretty reliable.

FUCK Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement