Is there anyway to use a router and antenna to receive a signal? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
stephen4785's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: \
Posts: 6,645
Is there anyway to use a router and antenna to receive a signal?

Im trying to get internet service out in my shop which is about 60-70 feet from my house. I use a 3 foot omni-directional antenna for my house but I cant get any signal to my shop. Iv got another linksys router that has dd-wrt on it and a yagi directional antenna I can use but Im not sure how to setup the router to receive the signal. Would I just set the router up as a repeater then plug an ethernet cable from my computer to the router? Im thinking that I could change the settings to have the yagi receive the signal on the left side of the router than leave the right side disabled. Im just unsure if it'll work or not or of there's a better way to do it.
Thanks
stephen4785 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
There are some options and I'll let others talk to you about them. By default I hate wireless and will always recommend a small trench with cat 5 or 6 in pvc. Then use a switch and/or AP to get your connectivity. At least you know the link between your home and your shop is solid.

Do you even see the SSID from your shop?

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
There are some options and I'll let others talk to you about them. By default I hate wireless and will always recommend a small trench with cat 5 or 6 in pvc. Then use a switch and/or AP to get your connectivity. At least you know the link between your home and your shop is solid.

Do you even see the SSID from your shop?
I would do this. You can get it to work but wired is the best.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
A shop environment will create a lot of interference for a radio shot. At my home, I can easily get a signal at 60 ft. from my Linksys dd-wrt firmware router on my laptop. Actually, I can get a signal from about 3 houses down. However, in a shop you have many variables such as load bearing walls, EMF radiation from equipment, etc.. Dropping some Cat 5 is probably the best option in your situation. However, I do have a couple of recommendations you can try. Since you are running dd-wrt firmware, go into the Wireless settings and bump up your transmit power from the default 70 mW to 100 mW. And enable Afterburner, if it's not already enabled. And use high gain antennas and and angle them towards your target, not straight up and down. Make sure the router is placed as high as you can get it in the building. The higher the better. Make sure it is not sitting next to a big TV or other electrical devices that have a high current draw. And verify that your router is broadcasting your SSID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
A shop environment will create a lot of interference for a radio shot. At my home, I can easily get a signal at 60 ft. from my Linksys dd-wrt firmware router on my laptop. Actually, I can get a signal from about 3 houses down. However, in a shop you have many variables such as load bearing walls, EMF radiation from equipment, etc.. Dropping some Cat 5 is probably the best option in your situation. However, I do have a couple of recommendations you can try. Since you are running dd-wrt firmware, go into the Wireless settings and bump up your transmit power from the default 70 mW to 100 mW. And enable Afterburner, if it's not already enabled. And use high gain antennas and and angle them towards your target, not straight up and down. Make sure the router is placed as high as you can get it in the building. The higher the better. Make sure it is not sitting next to a big TV or other electrical devices that have a high current draw. And verify that your router is broadcasting your SSID.
Is there anything you don't know?
Osiris is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
just run cable, you'll be happier

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Is there anything you don't know?
LOL. Nah, I just happen to know about this stuff because I've been in the IT field for 8 years. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome