Anybody use a Blackberry to get their Outlook Mail? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Anybody use a Blackberry to get their Outlook Mail?

From what I am gathering my company will need to have a hosted service on their end for me to get a fully functional Outlook mailbox, has anyone had better luck?

As it stands I can get my mail through our web interface, but it doesn't at all sync with my mailbox like my HTC with Windows mobile would.

It's a BB Bold if that matters.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Ya, I've got one and it works great. Your company needs an exchange server. Is this a company Blackberry or personal? If it's personal and you're the only one trying to do it then your company doesn't have much of a reason to get an exchange server. If it's a company phone and everyone has one then I can't imagine why they don't already have an exchange server.

You might also be able to accomplish what you're trying to do if your web based e-mail supports POP or IMAP.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing View Post
Ya, I've got one and it works great. Your company needs an exchange server. Is this a company Blackberry or personal? If it's personal and you're the only one trying to do it then your company doesn't have much of a reason to get an exchange server. If it's a company phone and everyone has one then I can't imagine why they don't already have an exchange server.

You might also be able to accomplish what you're trying to do if your web based e-mail supports POP or IMAP.
My company has several Exchange servers, as that's what we use for company e-mail, and is what I want to sync up on my Bold. What I think you mean is a BES server (Blackberry Enterprise server), which is a competitor of Exchange.

Microsoft does offer several Exchange hosted services, one of which is for a Blackberry interface, but I don't know yet if my company has invested in it yet. This is a personal phone (I got it for free from my BB rep), so I don't know if there are enough of them in the company for them to justify the expense.

There's gotta be some app out there that emulates Windows mobile...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM
$uper $low

Sorry, to my knowledge, blackberry has that on lockdown. Your company will at least need to install Blackberry Enterprise Server Express on your mail servers for it to work.

Until then, your best bet is to install the Blackberry Desktop Manager software on a machine you have Outlook installed and configured for you account, and manually synch up.

Any time you make a change in Outlook to your calendar or address book, you'll have to manually resynch again.

FYI: I hate blackberries, with a passion.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Very Interesting

BES is not a competitor of Exchange, it is a competitor of ActiveSync

have you tried to go to the Blackberry Internet Services for your carrier?

ATT - https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

Sprint - https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=sprint

You can setup your account there, and it will use activesync to sync mail. You don't have all the functionality, but you have some.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Resident Epicurean

I used to. I don't know the technical side of it, but I can tell you that we all were forced to get iphones, because the company had to pay for a license for each blackberry. With the iphones, we didn't have to do that. And yes, we already had an Exchange server.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
My company has several Exchange servers, as that's what we use for company e-mail, and is what I want to sync up on my Bold. What I think you mean is a BES server (Blackberry Enterprise server), which is a competitor of Exchange.

Microsoft does offer several Exchange hosted services, one of which is for a Blackberry interface, but I don't know yet if my company has invested in it yet. This is a personal phone (I got it for free from my BB rep), so I don't know if there are enough of them in the company for them to justify the expense.

There's gotta be some app out there that emulates Windows mobile...

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...erver/express/

It's deployed on the same server where Exchange resides unless you have over 75 blackberry users and then it's deployed on it's own dedicated server. Still requires your company to invest in it so they may not go for it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Crackalack!

My work BB is sync'd to my Outlook. Don't know how it works or care to... we have an IT group for that! Works great though!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I used to. I don't know the technical side of it, but I can tell you that we all were forced to get iphones, because the company had to pay for a license for each blackberry. With the iphones, we didn't have to do that. And yes, we already had an Exchange server.
Bingo. Turns out that we actually do have a BES, but IT didn't make it public due to the additional cost involved with adding licenses. I talked to IT this morning, and have a BES cal now, so I'm good to go, no manual syncing needed.

If you didn't have to do anythoing special Doug, your company likely has BES.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement