AT&T Smartphone gurus... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

AT&T Smartphone gurus...

I currently have just a phone with messaging (QWERTY keyboard) and am thinking about taking the plunge and going with internet as well.

Been looking at a few phones, the IPhone, Samsung Captivate, or an HTC phone.

Does any smartphone stand out as far as features?

I bought my youngest a 32GB Itouch for his birthday and have gotten to really like it. It would make getting an Iphone easy since I already know the Itouch.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Rolling with the homies

Go with the iPhone since you are already familiar with the iTouch. I do want to get an Android OS phone soon but only because I like trying out new devices and hadn't had one yet.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Lifer

You should make this a poll. I vote HTC hands down.

"The problem with doing nothing is you never know when your finished."

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Time Served

since i already have a galaxy s line phone i would say captivate because i like android. but ultimately its up to you

Discount tire Reppin TXD 17
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:09 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Captivate, similar to an iphone layout in apps, except it doesn't drop calls like crazy, and isn't an apple product.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Big Rooster Racing

HTC phones are pretty nice but IMO the iPhone is top notch. Even android OS phones can be a little glitchy at times. GRANTED HTC phones are less......proprietary than an iPhone but i wouldnt trade my iphone for anything......also the new HD big screen phones are nice....ive never had much luck in liking HTC branded phones.....and every samsung phone i had was a turd in the end......JUST MY .02

BIG ROOSTER RACING , we aint cluckin around !
RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN ...... AND WIRING GURU
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Big Rooster Racing

and my iPhone doesnt NOT drop calls......the AT&T 3G service however does. switch your iPhone to edge network when your not streaming internet and you'll be fine. AT&T doesnt have enough 3g capable towers to provide the demand for 3G customers.

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
and my iPhone doesnt NOT drop calls......the AT&T 3G service however does. switch your iPhone to edge network when your not streaming internet and you'll be fine. AT&T doesnt have enough 3g capable towers to provide the demand for 3G customers.
Ugh, it's not the network, it IS the iphone. I've dropped maybe 1 or 2 calls EVER since AT&T has had their 3g network.

post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Big Rooster Racing

UMMM OK......considering when i turn my phone onto the edge network i drop 0 calls......on 3g i drop a call but only in a certain area.......(green oaks and ascension area and green oaks cooper area)........its done that with EVERY AT&T phone ive had. NEVER had an issue with dropping them with my 3GS other than dead zones

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
UMMM OK......considering when i turn my phone onto the edge network i drop 0 calls......on 3g i drop a call but only in a certain area.......(green oaks and ascension area and green oaks cooper area)........its done that with EVERY AT&T phone ive had. NEVER had an issue with dropping them with my 3GS other than dead zones
User error.

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Time Served

You're both right technically.

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin View Post
You're both right technically.
Elaborate, duh.

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Time Served

Get the iPhone if for no other reason than ease of use. The captivate is a great phone but it is a bit more difficult to use. Feature to feature they're pretty comparable.
While some people hate iTunes, it does make for a very pleasant interface for the phone. Battery life swings in favor of the captivate by a pretty good margin. While the captivate has a very impressive display, I find the iPhone more pleasing to look at day to day for things like text messaging and phone calls. I also prefer the iPhones keyboard.

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Big Rooster Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50 View Post
User error.
user error because i dont drop calls......maybe its because im right handed

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Elaborate, duh.
While the iPhone does have a problem with the antenna and reception to an extent, part of the problem is network bandwidth. Because of the iPhones, there is now a ton of devices on the 3G network but like anything else there's only so much "3G" to go around. It can help to drop to edge if you're not using the Internet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/te...ies/03att.html

However, the irony is that this problem is more a result of media hype just like anything else. Because of all of the media hate, everytime someone drops a call it's because the iPhone sucks.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-08-13/t...wer?_s=PM:TECH

post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Is there any difference with the hsupa network? Because if so, I'm going to just go root my phone and maybe change the rom, heh.

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
It is a combonation of your phone and service actually. My wife and I both had 3G iphones. I got tired of dropped calls so I went to a Nexus One and I still get bad signal and still hard to make calls but my phone hasnt dropped calls. My wifes 3G still drops calls like a mofo though. Only thing I can think is my nexus will cut in and out with signal strength but hangs onto the signal better than the iphone. The iphone basically gives up and drops the call.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Is there any difference with the hsupa network? Because if so, I'm going to just go root my phone and maybe change the rom, heh.
Hsupa isn't really a network type in itself as much as a way a network talks. The iPhone 4 uses hsupa although it's a 3G phone just like the samsung blackjack uses hsdpa and it's still a 3G phone.

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ugh, it's not the network, it IS the iphone. I've dropped maybe 1 or 2 calls EVER since AT&T has had their 3g network.
I'm sorry homey, but you're wrong. AT&T's 3g network is hyper saturated during peak times, and you WILL drop calls.

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
I'm sorry homey, but you're wrong. AT&T's 3g network is hyper saturated during peak times, and you WILL drop calls.
What are "peak times"??
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
LOL, you retard, I don't drop calls, as in I've never had trouble with them while using AT&T's network.

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Agreed. After using Verizon for 9+ YEARS, my company forced me to switch to AT&T last fall. I ended up with an LG phone that dropped calls constantly on the 3G network. Keep in mind that I work from home and 90% of my calls are made sitting still in my home office. I'm not jumping from tower to tower or anything like that. Cell reception while sitting still should NOT be an issue in 2010.

Four months later, I switched back to a Verizon Blackberry and no more dropped calls.

As much as I love my iPod Touch, I would really be interested in trying an iPhone, but not as long as they are on the AT&T network.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Doughnut Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
What are "peak times"??
24/7! I have no idea about AT&T peak times. I know my Mom and my ex use them and both are always dropping calls.

HTC seems to make good phones. I just got an HTC EVO last week. I'm loving it and the Android OS so far.
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
LOL, you retard, I don't drop calls, as in I've never had trouble with them while using AT&T's network.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...for_Texas.html

First thing I pulled up on Google.

I had multiple 3g devices that would drop calls like clockword in Dallas (along 75 and 35 mainly), and if i switched them to edge only, the problem magically disappeared. This has been the case with many people that I've talked to.

If you want to believe that the problem is the iPhone then go ahead, but believe it for the right reason. That is uses an ass-load of bandwidth to do anything.

post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Lifer

Quote:
If you want to believe that the problem is the iPhone then go ahead, but believe it for the right reason. That is uses an ass-load of bandwidth to do anything.
That still doesnt explain why my dropped calls suddenly went away with a simple phone change yet my wife still drops calls. If we are at the house and she cant call out she will pick up my phone and it works everytime. Like I said, it has to be combonation of the two.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Lifer

Arrow

I have the Captivate and love it.

It has a bigger screen than Iphone.
It has better graphics than Iphone.
It has the ability to add more memory via a memory card and Iphone doesn't.
It doesn't have the added charges that the Iphone has just to have the privilege to own an Iphone.
It is readily available for purchase.
Swype texting can enable texts up to 60 words/min.

etc. etc.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Old school 4-eye'd

I got the Blackberry Torch this weekend. Its pretty awesome.

post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Texas Rangers #1

I've posted this in several similar threads, but both my wife and myself have Samsung 3G phones, and never have a problem with dropped calls and we use the phones all the time. Maybe the 3G network in Fort Worth isn't as "saturated" as it is in Dallas or other areas, but all the people that I've heard complaining about AT&T's service have iPhones. Most others that have other brands, have little to no issues.

post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I got the Blackberry Torch this weekend. Its pretty awesome.
my gf got one saturday morning. it broke itself by saturday night. the screen selects things but doesnt take action. i looked online and it seems to be somewhat of a common problem.

the remedy is to turn it off and take out the battery. she's had to do that 3-4 times already.

she's returning it today.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM
dead

after using a hero for a couple of hours, i dont want an HTC phone. my friend hates his, even after updating and rooting the pile just crashes on all kinds of shit.

the new samsungs would be my only entry to droid land.
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
my gf got one saturday morning. it broke itself by saturday night. the screen selects things but doesnt take action. i looked online and it seems to be somewhat of a common problem.

the remedy is to turn it off and take out the battery. she's had to do that 3-4 times already.

she's returning it today.
other than a text message with a picture not opening, I have not had a single issue.

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
other than a text message with a picture not opening, I have not had a single issue.
yea, she likes blackberry so she wants to try another before she gives up on the phone.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...for_Texas.html

First thing I pulled up on Google.

I had multiple 3g devices that would drop calls like clockword in Dallas (along 75 and 35 mainly), and if i switched them to edge only, the problem magically disappeared. This has been the case with many people that I've talked to.

I was saying I'VE never had a problem dropping calls with MY phones.

And I do believe it is the iphone, considering everyone I know with one has a problem with theirs dropping calls. When I worked for Nick, almost every phone conversation we had was interrupted by his phone dropping the call, never mine. We're both on AT&T, both in the same area, but one of us drops calls all the time, and another doesn't. The only difference, he has an iphone, and I don't. What would that lead you to believe?

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 AM
dead

Quote:
I was saying I'VE never had a problem dropping calls with MY phones.

And I do believe it is the iphone, considering everyone I know with one has a problem with theirs dropping calls. When I worked for Nick, almost every phone conversation we had was interrupted by his phone dropping the call, never mine. We're both on AT&T, both in the same area, but one of us drops calls all the time, and another doesn't. The only difference, he has an iphone, and I don't. What would that lead you to believe?
yea, but you seem to be very much in the minority on this issue. either your phone or head is a magnet for reception, or you just dont call much/extended amount of time.

the majority of at&t users i have talked to say they drop a shit ton of calls. i'll go with the majority on this one.

my coworker has my old iphone 3g on tmobile. he doesnt have a problem with dropped calls. he just complains about tmobile coverage dead spots and slow data.
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Lifer

Ive had my iphone for a month. Does more than what I need a phone to do. But I havent dropped a single call, but I only talk on it once a day (twice max).
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 06:51 AM
duh...duh....duh

In West Plano ATT is definitely the carrier to have. I have a Verizon Droid X, people in the office have iPhones, Droids and Blackberrys. With AT&T I'd get the iPhone or Galaxy S.

From what I can tell from people who use both, they both have their pros and cons. The biggest plus of the iPhone is the market. The droid market is somewhat retarded and limited right now. It is new and open.

I'm not going to argue carrier network issues, since there are a million variables and by design they are oversubscribed. Personally, I hate AT&T based off principle. However, they do have a good phone line to choose from.

My '03 Sold.
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
However, they do have a good phone line to choose from.
Not really. If you mean the iPhone then yeah but as a whole, their phone lineup is lacking IMO. Their android lineup is horrible and what few android phones they do have are loaded down with crapware. Sprint is known for loading their phone with added bloatware but at least they have high end android phones.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Not really. If you mean the iPhone then yeah but as a whole, their phone lineup is lacking IMO. Their android lineup is horrible and what few android phones they do have are loaded down with crapware. Sprint is known for loading their phone with added bloatware but at least they have high end android phones.
Meh, they only take 5 minutes to root and remove all the shit you don't want.

post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Just got my iphone4 today and love it. Of course I did have a palm pre. It's for sale $300.
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Meh, they only take 5 minutes to root and remove all the shit you don't want.
You're stoned. That Captivate as as nice of a phone as Samsung makes.

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 PM
DERP DERP DERP

as as?

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
as as?
I'm a moron. What can I say?

post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
after using a hero for a couple of hours, i dont want an HTC phone. my friend hates his, even after updating and rooting the pile just crashes on all kinds of shit.

the new samsungs would be my only entry to droid land.
The Hero's old, and I think only the second Android phone that HTC put out (or second generation of the second phone, or something). Their new Android phones - Evo, Epic, etc. - are pretty nice from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
The Hero's old, and I think only the second Android phone that HTC put out (or second generation of the second phone, or something). Their new Android phones - Evo, Epic, etc. - are pretty nice from what I hear.
The Epic is a samsung, and the EVO has been having PLENTY of problems. At least it is fast before it breaks, unlike the Hero.

post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 AM
dead

i was on a 32 minute phone call yesterday.
it was while driving,
into dallas proper,
during afternoon traffic.

and it never dropped! amazing.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Just got my iphone4 today and love it. Of course I did have a palm pre. It's for sale $300.
Can't go wrong with iPhone (even though I bought a Droid since I feel it is more geek friendly). It'll work.

Maybe in a couple of years the other phones will reign supreme, but right now the iPhone owns the consumer market for a great smart phone.

My '03 Sold.
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:01 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
I'm a moron. What can I say?
as as apparently. But yeah, they take about 5 minutes to root using the one click root.

post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
i was on a 32 minute phone call yesterday.
it was while driving,
into dallas proper,
during afternoon traffic.

and it never dropped! amazing.
Wow! Talk about weird! I did the same thing yesterday afternoon going down Loop 12 during rush hour traffic for maybe 15-20 minutes and it never dropped

Now there is one point going east bound on 114 when I cross under William D. Tate/121 I've dropped calls fairly regularly but no where else during my drive home at 3:30pm.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
as as apparently. But yeah, they take about 5 minutes to root using the one click root.
If it makes my Hero less of a piece of shit, do you want to root my Hero?

post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Very Interesting

I drop calls occasionally on my iphone4 in my apartment, but i also only get 1-2 bars there.

And I'm not even touching the phone when it drops, usually on speaker.

But the iphone4 hasn't dropped a call on my anywhere else.

Must be a phone problem.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement