Computer randomly shutting down? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Computer randomly shutting down?

This has happened twice in the past 3 days, my PC just random turns off where all power to it but the fans turn off. I'm not sure if it's my CPU fan or the fan on the graphics card so I'm trying to see what I should start with.

I'm guessing that's some sort of preventative measure for when either of those starts to overheat. Any ideas?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
This has happened twice in the past 3 days, my PC just random turns off where all power to it but the fans turn off. I'm not sure if it's my CPU fan or the fan on the graphics card so I'm trying to see what I should start with.

I'm guessing that's some sort of preventative measure for when either of those starts to overheat. Any ideas?
In my experience, you are guessing correctly. My comp would reboot because the cpu got too hot. I had accidentally overclocked it. I clocked it correctly and the restart went away.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
In my experience, you are guessing correctly. My comp would reboot because the cpu got too hot. I had accidentally overclocked it. I clocked it correctly and the restart went away.
Mine's not overclocked though so I'm having trouble figuring out why it would be overheating... hell the damn thing's only a couple years old.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Dl and run it to see what your temps are. Also post your specs.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Dl and run it to see what your temps are. Also post your specs.
Running an AMD 64 X2 6000+ (3Ghz processor) with 4Gb DDR2 Ram, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb video card, Biostar TA770 A2+ motherboard

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Does it shut down under load or just at anytime? Also, what kinda PSU do you have?

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

It started doing it just any time. I was just surfing the net a couple nights ago and it just crapped out, then it crapped out the other night while I was playing a game.

PSU is a RaidMax RX-530SS

I can't find crap out there on the fan speeds either... seems like they may be running a little low but then again I'm not real knowledgable on how to set them up in the BIOS either.

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I bet it's the PSU. Try removing peripheral cards and unplugging optical/hard drives that are not in use to lower the load on the PSU, see if it stabilizes. I'm just going to take a guess that you don't have an oscilloscope on hand?
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I bet it's the PSU. Try removing peripheral cards and unplugging optical/hard drives that are not in use to lower the load on the PSU, see if it stabilizes. I'm just going to take a guess that you don't have an oscilloscope on hand?
How will I know if it stabilizes? Just the fact that it won't shut down or what?

EDIT - and I don't see how it could be running too hot because I keep the side panel off to allow it to breathe. It doesn't even come close to a wall or anything.

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
CJ

Quote:
How will I know if it stabilizes? Just the fact that it won't shut down or what?
exactly. PSU's have lots of capacitors which over time go through electromigration and eventually start to lose potency (as I'm sure you're aware). Over time the output of your PSU lowers, and eventually it starts to affect your stability. Usually it will start with freezes or bluescreens and then manifest itself as restarts. It could be a piece of hardware (which is true for anything computer related) but usually a instant shutdown is PSU. Under heavy loads PSU's can cause a sudden shutdown, however it's almost always a reboot. My 1000w Antec true power shit the bed last week, and just now I received my RMA'ed unit. It lasted for 2 years in my system, as a benchmark. I usually recommended buying a wattage over your requirements to maximize it's longevity. If you have a multimeter you can measure the voltage coming off each rail and check to see if there is any issues - however it's not always the voltage, the quality can also be an issue - which is why you need an oscilloscope.

Another thing I would suggest trying is lowering the load on your mobo rail. The wire you have running to your motherboard may daisy chain off - make sure nothing else (or at least high-draw) is plugged into that wire - and also check to see if there is another lead that runs on the same 12v rail. System stability is greatly affected by voltage degradation on the system rail. A quick and easy trick I've used before is to remove all but one stick of ram, it greatly reduces the voltage on your southbridge - if your system stabilizes you know what the issue is. You may be able to solve it by moving things off the system rail, but if it was stable before, it usually means your PSU is on it's way out.

Last edited by CJ; 08-31-2010 at 08:12 PM.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
exactly. PSU's have lots of capacitors which over time go through electromigration and eventually start to lose potency (as I'm sure you're aware). Over time the output of your PSU lowers, and eventually it starts to affect your stability. Usually it will start with freezes or bluescreens and then manifest itself as restarts. It could be a piece of hardware (which is true for anything computer related) but usually a instant shutdown is PSU. Under heavy loads PSU's can cause a sudden shutdown, however it's almost always a reboot. My 1000w Antec true power shit the bed last week, and just now I received my RMA'ed unit. It lasted for 2 years in my system, as a benchmark. I usually recommended buying a wattage over your requirements to maximize it's longevity. If you have a multimeter you can measure the voltage coming off each rail and check to see if there is any issues - however it's not always the voltage, the quality can also be an issue - which is why you need an oscilloscope.

That's some good info. It probably doesn't help that I leave the damn thing on all the time.

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 PM
CJ

Quote:
That's some good info. It probably doesn't help that I leave the damn thing on all the time.
same reason mine shit the bed. I usually flog my system with torrents - last time I checked the log my system had 26,433 hours on, 49 hours downtime. But, make sure to get the good warranties and it doesn't matter, haha.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Thanks CJ. I was going the way of PSU myself.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0294050

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0281688

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0301545

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0303417

Any of these will do you a GREAT job for a meager price and all have 3yr warranty's.

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Lifer

In my experience in the world of IT. We use a mnemonic called KISS. KISS = Keep it simple and stupid. Look at the most basic cause first.

My experience with random shut downs is that it is a bad power supply about 80% of the time. Especially, on machines that aren't over-clocked and are in a well ventilated area. I will sometimes take a DVM and test the molex connectors feeding the drive peripherals and the motherboard. You will typically see 3.3v, 5v, and 12v on a connector depending on what it is connected to. I had a machine doing the auto reboots and sure enough I read about 10.8 volts on the motherboard connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Replaced the power supply this morning with a Thermaltake TR2 600w PSU and all has been good up untill a couple minutes ago... once again the computer just randomly shut off. So now that I've replaced the PSU and I'm still having the problem where should I head to next?

post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Lifer

visually verify that your cpu fan is working and is not bogged down with dust and pet hair. verify that the heat sink is properly seated. or better yet, remove the heat sink and add some thermal compound to the chip. blow out the fan with an air can and then put it all back together.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
visually verify that your cpu fan is working and is not bogged down with dust and pet hair. verify that the heat sink is properly seated. or better yet, remove the heat sink and add some thermal compound to the chip. blow out the fan with an air can and then put it all back together.
I haven't had a chance to do this yet, I need to run to Frys to get some thermal compound and an air duster, but I'll do that in the morning. Just curious though, what would typically cause a processor that's less than 2years old that's not overclocked to just randomly start over heating... if that's the case? It's a dual core processor two and from what I understand they run pretty cool.

post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
CJ

Have you run memtest86? Also flog it with orthos for a few hours...
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Lifer

Is your tower on the carpet, tile, wood, shelf, etc..??

Sometimes it can be as simple as the CPU fan rpm slowing down due to heavy dust or pet hair. I had an individual who's desktop was blue screening with a stop code related to the video card. After troubleshooting it at a software level, I couldn't figure it out what the problem was. Drivers were up to date, DirectX X was up to date, etc... I finally decided I was going to uninstall the drivers, power down, and re-seat the video card. Then reinstall the video card drivers. When I cracked open the tower case it was full of dust and hair that the pulling chassis fans had sucked in over time. This person had it sitting on the carpet in a den room and had pets. Upon first glance at the video card fan it was caked with dust and matted hair. Therefore, it had completely stopped running. The video card was over heating and causing the blue screen of death. I sprayed out the fan and the rest of the inside of the case. And even one of the chassis fans wasn't barely spinning due to the same reason. After cleaning out the fans and getting them freely spinning again, he never had another BSOD related to the video card. Well, no more problems, period.

This is just an assumption I'm making in your case as I've seen this be the cause for random shut downs related to the CPU heat sink or fan. Or when a person built their own machine and didn't know to use thermal compound. The majority of the time random shut downs is almost always the power supply. Since you've replaced that you need to start looking at other heat related culprits. Another thing you can do is review your crash dump logs to see what is happening prior to the fault. It's not that difficult to do, but lengthy to explain. Just Google it.

Quote:
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Have you run memtest86? Also flog it with orthos for a few hours...
Can you walk me through the mem test real quick? Dunno that I could get it to stay on long enough. What's the orthos thing you speak of?

Sorry, posting from my ipod

post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Is your tower on the carpet, tile, wood, shelf, etc..??
It sits on my desk top about 4 inches off both walls.

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to do this yet, I need to run to Frys to get some thermal compound and an air duster, but I'll do that in the morning. Just curious though, what would typically cause a processor that's less than 2years old that's not overclocked to just randomly start over heating... if that's the case? It's a dual core processor two and from what I understand they run pretty cool.
Go to Microcenter and get a CM Hyper 212+ It's less than $30 and comes with TIM. I'll go one step further and let you use some of my MX3 to install it w/ for better results.

post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Go to Microcenter and get a CM Hyper 212+ It's less than $30 and comes with TIM. I'll go one step further and let you use some of my MX3 to install it w/ for better results.
Quote:

Went over to Frys (since it's closer) and picked up this fan along with some Thermal Compound as Mustangman suggested. Got home, opened up the computer and found that I'd pretty much have to take the computer completely apart pulling the mobo and all just to install the Hyper212+ because of it's size. It looks like a really nice fan but I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to. So in the mean time I pulled my cpu fan out, sprayed it down well using an air duster, and cleaned off the old & dried up thermal compound before adding new thermal compound and reseating it. The guy at Frys said to check the thermal compound since I already checked that the fan was working and that the PSU was working. He said often times the stock compound that comes on the cooling units doesn't last long.

Soo with that being said I'm hoping that it'll be a fix as simple as putting some new compound on.

EDIT: Currently running some heavy loads to see if it still shuts down.

EDIT 2: Ok so under some heavier loads the core temps are sitting around 50-52 degrees celcius but have gotten as high as 57 degrees celcius. Is that too hot for a CPU?

Last edited by MotoMan; 09-12-2010 at 11:57 AM.
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Just crashed again...

post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Lifer

Do you have onboard video/sound and a video card and sound card? If so, I would pull the cards and run the onboard audio/video to see how it does.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Do you have onboard video/sound and a video card and sound card? If so, I would pull the cards and run the onboard audio/video to see how it does.
Also leave, pull ALL USB stuff except your mouse/keyboard and use only one stick of RAM. From there, run it a while and see what it does then slowly add components back in till it crashes again. That'll help you see where the issue lies.

post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Onboard video, no. Onboard sound, yes. I'd think if my video card was going out I'd see problems in my graphics, which I have yet to see.

Quote:
Also leave, pull ALL USB stuff except your mouse/keyboard and use only one stick of RAM. From there, run it a while and see what it does then slowly add components back in till it crashes again. That'll help you see where the issue lies.
Only thing that's plugged into my USB ports is my mouse.

How would I tell if my Mobo was going bad? Just called up to Frys and spoke to a tech and he suggested to try replacing the CMOS battery next since I've already tried a new PSU along with adding new compound and reseating the CPU. What are your thoughts on the CMOS battery being a possibility? and the Mobo going bad?

post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Nvm, it's not the CMOS, computer just shut off again. Just an FYI, every time it shuts off my graphics card fan kicks up real high untill I pull the power cord.

post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

call me, you have/had my number. Bryan

post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Nvm, it's not the CMOS, computer just shut off again. Just an FYI, every time it shuts off my graphics card fan kicks up real high untill I pull the power cord.
Try to swap an old video card in to see what happens. I just think you probably need to take the video card out of the equation.
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
call me, you have/had my number. Bryan
Pm sent

Quote:
Try to swap an old video card in to see what happens. I just think you probably need to take the video card out of the equation.
Unfortunately I have no other videocards to swap out.

Last edited by MotoMan; 09-15-2010 at 10:57 PM.
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.ph...shutting-down/

To get some more eyes on the problem.

post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.ph...shutting-down/

To get some more eyes on the problem.
Bryan, saw a couple replies and one suggests the mobo or the CPU, another says to check the logs. What logs can I check?

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

I'm thinkin he's referring to event viewer but I'm not sure. I asked so we'll see.

I just posted this at another forum for more ideas.

http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/in...shutting-down/

post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

You read the replies from the links yet Greg?

post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
You read the replies from the links yet Greg?
Yeah I read the replies to the link from the Raptor Pit and it's so confusing... some think it's memory related, some think it's over heating, some think it's video card...

EDIT: I did get it running for a couple hours last night after being turned off all day so that's always good. Checked my capacitors and no capacitors are bulging. I'll try changing the 6 pin plug in for the video card. I think just for my own piece of mind I'm going to get a couple after market fans to replace the stock ones, as well as adding one of the fans that has the built in channel to push heat out of the case itself.

EDIT 2: Bryan, the ram I'm using is G-Skill DDR2 PC6400 RAM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231122

Last edited by MotoMan; 09-14-2010 at 10:00 AM.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
lol, this place sucks now

stupid suggestion, but try it anyway

completely disconnect your DVD/CD ROM. I know it sounds stupid, but I had a bad DVD burner and was causing the same symptoms.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4 View Post
stupid suggestion, but try it anyway

completely disconnect your DVD/CD ROM. I know it sounds stupid, but I had a bad DVD burner and was causing the same symptoms.
I'll give it a shot when I get home, hell I'll try anything.

post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Still fighting the random crashes, it'll stay on for about 10-20 min at a time right now but not long enough to make it through some of these tests I need to run.

Bryan I took your advice and pulled everything out of my case, just have the mobo sitting on a cardboard box, hoping the problem is heat related so I can finally get started in the right direction for a fix.

post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

What are you doing next Monday? Maybe we can meet up and try you proc in my mobo and vice versa.

EDIT: Have you tried w/ just one stick of ram yet?

post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
What are you doing next Monday? Maybe we can meet up and try you proc in my mobo and vice versa.

EDIT: Have you tried w/ just one stick of ram yet?
I'll try that tonight.

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Just tried the memory stick test and it crashed out on both sticks... So now what?

EDIT: it's been crashing left and right about every 15-25 minutes. Tried running the Prime95 and it crashed out after about 15 minutes. I have no clue where to go with this.

Last edited by MotoMan; 09-15-2010 at 07:26 PM.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

I'm gonna say mobo or processor at this point. Let's try and get you processor in my board and see what happens.

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Still working on this issue, times where it crashes out are still inconsistent. Did check the event viewer and I've had a critical event, source was kernel power, event ID was 41... plus a number of other errors.

Here's what I don't get, my computer has been on all day in safe mode yet I boot into regular settings and it crashes within 20 min...

post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

That means there's some third party software that's causing your stability issues. Safe mode only installs/uses generic drivers built into windows to get you basic functionality.

Look this article over and see if it helps you pinpoint the issue.

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
That means there's some third party software that's causing your stability issues. Safe mode only installs/uses generic drivers built into windows to get you basic functionality.

Look this article over and see if it helps you pinpoint the issue.
Unfortunately it didnt really help me much.

EDIT: Backing everything up for a reinstall of Win7. Guess that's really the next step before sending the motherboard in.

Last edited by MotoMan; 09-25-2010 at 07:35 PM.
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Trying to rule out a 3rd party software, just reinstalled Windows 7, got through the first round of updates and it crashed out. Back into Safe Mode and it's yet to crash out... this is getting fucking annoying. Back to thinking this is hardware related.

post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Is it possible that something in my copy of Windows 7 has gone bad, because I've reinstalled Windows without installing anything else and it'll still crash out. But I boot into safemode and it's just fine and that's what's driving me nuts.

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Lifer

Do you have multiple sticks of memory?

If so, run one at a time and see what happens.

I still think it is either a bad cpu, mb, or memory.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Do you have multiple sticks of memory?

If so, run one at a time and see what happens.

I still think it is either a bad cpu, mb, or memory.
Yeah I have multiple memory sticks, the computer crashes when they're each in one at a time as well as when they're both in. I don't see how it could be a mobo/cpu issue, I'd think it would crash out regardless of whether it's in safe mode or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement