network folks - testing question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

network folks - testing question

Does anyone have a piece of network performance measurement software they really like? I've used iperf/jperf for bandwidth/throughput testing before but we were looking to install a server to more permanently use as a test box. Basically we'd like to avoid buying another RFC2544 test set, etc. If we could find a client/server software that would run RFC2544 (frame loss, back-to-back, latency, jitter, throughput, etc.) between 2 PC's, that'd be great.

We're getting an Accedian shelf and some of those EtherNID's soon, so maybe we'll end up using those most of the time, dunno. I'm actually going to be configuring a few of those later this week, so maybe I'll end up just using sets of those.

Thanks!

--Scott

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:59 AM
duh...duh....duh

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're looking for but for network performance type things I've used 2 different products that work. These products are NETWORK based though and generally will not test server/application performance. There are other apps for that.

1. Solarwinds with their SLA and netflow apps. Long story short it's SNMP, Netflow and IP SLA. With the IP SLA portion you get some fairly advanced testing. When doing a network path assessment for a telepresence install, Cisco just uses various IP SLA configurations. Withe Solarwinds it'll configure it for you and provide the output in a decent format along with alerts and such.

2. Cisco Unified Operations Manager/Cisco Unified Service Manager: FOr this it has been awhile for me so I'm not 100% sure I got the software packages right. Basically, same concept as the IP SLA, however probes are added to the picture as well. I think a pack of like 4 probes if 1500 list. It's a Cisco NMS application, so it'll work well if a little flukey.

I don't want to say much more about the Cisco apps since it has been awhile since I used it. I did quote it about 6 months ago and it was expensive still.

Take care

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Hustlin'

Thx for the input! I'll check both of those out. Our SLA's hinge around latency, that is the critical measurement for us, and we measure/report on every Ethernet circuit we sell to establish SLA compliance. We have a nice EXFO FTB-200 test-set that we use to run the tests, but were considering adding to our test gear inventory (in a cost effective way).

--Scott

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement