HP or Gateway? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

HP or Gateway?

Which of these two computers is the better system for basic internet? Looking for something that has decent speed and the ability to play good quality video more than anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-SX2801.../dp/B003N2OYNQ
Gateway SX2801-05 Desktop PC comes with these specs: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E6700, Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel G43 Express Chipset, 6144MB DDR3 Memory, Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD, Hybrid TV Tuner, 1TB SATA Hard Drive (Green Product - variable RPM), Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader, High-Definition Audio Support with 5.1-channel Audio Support, 9 - USB 2.0, Keyboard and Mouse, 12.0 lbs. | 5.4 kg (system unit only), 1 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty with Toll-Free Tech Support, Registration/ Limited Warranty Card, Norton Internet Security Suite 2009 Trial

or

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Grey-Edition/
HP Pavilion p6540f Magnesium Grey Edition PC stands out from the rest. Manage all your photos, videos and music effortlessly with 8GB of memory. Connect to a digital camera, MP3 player and other digital devices using eight USB ports. Transfer photos directly from a memory card and connect a digital camcorder to your HP desktop using the FireWire® port. This desktop computer also has built-in Wi-Fi, so you can browse the Web without using cables and connect to a wireless printer easily. Have more fun with your HP Pavilion p6540f Magnesium Grey Edition PC. Create photo slideshows, share home videos, play your favorite tunes and watch DVDs using the exclusive HP MediaSmart Software Suite, your one-stop multimedia and entertainment center. Burn files onto CDs and DVDs, create custom disc labels with text and images, and burn the labels directly onto the discs using LightScribe Technology. Plus, enjoy high-definition audio and count on great service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with a desktop icon that provides one-click access to the Help and Support Center.

Last edited by 1carcrazyguy; 08-20-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
HP hands down, but why not build? I'd be willin to help ya out and get 7 on it for ya.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Canada is welcome here.

For the internet, both of those are great machines. The HP is the better machine, but if you are looking to save a buck and all you are doing is the internet, then I would go with the lesser, cheaper machine. But you can come out a lot better building one. You'll get a heck of a lot more bang for your buck if you build your own. Its easy to do, its just like a lego set. You can't really screw it up.

But as for OEM computers, the only one I wouldn't buy would be a dell. Or an apple for obvious compatibility reasons. And the fact that the computers are freaking laptops glued to the back of a monitor. And the fact that they are very very overpriced. And the fact that I just don't like the apple company in general. But yeah, dell is one of those companies that thinks they can buy a bunch of parts from all different companies, and make them proprietary. Like apple they can try, but they can never succeed. But they can make life a pain for you in trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

Last edited by justinsn95; 08-21-2010 at 09:05 AM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I have some reward points built up that I need to spend, otherwise I would take you up on the offer to build one! Thanks for input, I appreciate it.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Alright, go w/ the HP, spec for spec, it's a superior machine.

EDIT: If you'd like some help getting all the factory bloatware and junk off of it, a good AV and anti-malware(free), lemme know.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

No problem, I appreciate it! Placed the order just now and it should be here sometime next week. Thanks!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Sweet!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

New system came in yesterday. Going to make a stab at it Tuesday. I have never had the chance to hook one up right out of the box so we will see how that goes!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

It's gravy. BTW, have fun and my offer still stands.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
It's gravy. BTW, have fun and my offer still stands.

Once I get it hooked up I will let you know. That is if it does not get the best of me!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

You really can't hook it up wrong. If you have any questions, you're welcome to call me @ 9-926-3236

Bryan

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Lifer

I've had great luck with HP Pavilion. I've had one with an AMD and another with a Pentium Core 2 Duo. The Pentium's run much cooler. I like the finish and the keyboard layout of the Pavilion. Lot of features and processing power/memory for the price I paid. They are reliable and have very good battery life from just a 6 cell battery. Well, at least they do with the settings I use for battery usage in my power plan.

I've had a Sony Vaio and a Toshiba. And I prefer HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

New HP is online now! It appears much faster than my old system. Still trying to work my way through to set up my email? That setup menu has to be hidden here somewhere!

Edit: Looks like I will not be able to use Outlook Express with the new system to access my Charter email....bummer. I think I have had the email since ~2002.

Last edited by 1carcrazyguy; 08-31-2010 at 10:32 AM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
New HP is online now! It appears much faster than my old system. Still trying to work my way through to set up my email? That setup menu has to be hidden here somewhere!

Edit: Looks like I will not be able to use Outlook Express with the new system to access my Charter email....bummer. I think I have had the email since ~2002.
Here are some free alternative's to Outlook or Outlook Express.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:

This comment confuses me. Windows 7 Home Edition comes with Windows Live Mail, which is just a upgraded version of Windows Mail in Vista. Both are based off the Outlook platform. My came with it, if yours does not, it's free to download from Microsoft. They are still standalone POP3 email clients. I've have Verizon FIOS for a while in which I was using Outlook Express with my older versions of Windows. I like using a stand alone email client over web based email. You will still be able to configure Windows Live Mail to access your POP3 email from charter. You will just need your POP3 (110) and SMTP (25 or 26) port numbers and the name of the incoming and outgoing mail servers. You can get that info from their help or FAQ section, just as I did with FIOS.

Windows Live Mail is essentially Windows Mail/Outlooks Express with an upgraded GUI. It's still a POP email client.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 09-02-2010 at 09:56 AM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I am working with the email deal again. Here is the screen I get when I try to locate Outlook Express.............

Outlook Express isn't included in this version of Windows. To use e‑mail, you'll need another e‑mail program from Microsoft or another company. Another option is to use a web-based e‑mail service, which doesn't require you to install a program.

For more information about programs you can use, go to So long, Outlook Express! on the Windows website.

So I look up "So long Outlook Express" on the windows site and.................

Trying to download Outlook Express in Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Outlook Express isn't available in Windows Vista or Windows 7—you can't download it or run it on either version of Windows. However, you can install an e‑mail program from another company or use Windows Live Mail—a free program that is part of Windows Live Essentials.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Lifer

I guess you didn't read my previous post.

Quote:
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Quote:
Here are some free alternative's to Outlook or Outlook Express.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail
Quote:
I am working with the email deal again. Here is the screen I get when I try to locate Outlook Express.............

Outlook Express isn't included in this version of Windows. To use e‑mail, you'll need another e‑mail program from Microsoft or another company. Another option is to use a web-based e‑mail service, which doesn't require you to install a program.

For more information about programs you can use, go to So long, Outlook Express! on the Windows website.

So I look up "So long Outlook Express" on the windows site and.................

Trying to download Outlook Express in Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Outlook Express isn't available in Windows Vista or Windows 7—you can't download it or run it on either version of Windows. However, you can install an e‑mail program from another company or use Windows Live Mail—a free program that is part of Windows Live Essentials.
See above. Both are free.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
I guess you didn't read my previous post.
{------computer challenged. Its not english to me. lol Still trying to figure the email setup out. Just not a tech savy person.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
See above. Both are free.
windows.live.mail came installed on this new computer. That is what I will use (to simplify).

Last edited by 1carcrazyguy; 09-01-2010 at 12:03 PM.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Got it done. Called Charter to get settings and it works. Feel dumb, that is was that easy.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Okay now that I can send receive email. Is there a way to take my contact list from my old computer and get it on this one?
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Take from old.

Put in new.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks, I will mess with that tomorrow morning.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Have fun and good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement