Wireless networking - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Wicked98Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Valley Ranch
Posts: 1,169
Wireless networking

I recently moved to a new apartment and the internet connection is of course on the other side of the room from where I want to put the computer. I already have a Netgear wireless router from the old apartment and I would like to use it to send the signal out to my computer and my xbox. What do I need at the computer to receive the signal from the router? I'm sorry I'm sort of techno-tarded

Powdered doughnuts make me go nuts!
Wicked98Snake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
I recently moved to a new apartment and the internet connection is of course on the other side of the room from where I want to put the computer. I already have a Netgear wireless router from the old apartment and I would like to use it to send the signal out to my computer and my xbox. What do I need at the computer to receive the signal from the router? I'm sorry I'm sort of techno-tarded
I would make sure you have a N router, and any standard wireless card will do.
mstng86 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Wicked98Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Valley Ranch
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
I would make sure you have a N router, and any standard wireless card will do.
What is an "N" router? The router I had at the other apartment is a Netgear router and I had it sending the wireless signal to my XBOX before. I found some kind of antenna that you plug into the usb port on the computer, will that pick up the signal?

Powdered doughnuts make me go nuts!
Wicked98Snake is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Pushed to the limit
 
PWTRTXSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In the shadow of a big mountain
Posts: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
What is an "N" router? The router I had at the other apartment is a Netgear router and I had it sending the wireless signal to my XBOX before. I found some kind of antenna that you plug into the usb port on the computer, will that pick up the signal?
Wireless "N" is the fastest available to the public. Your gaming experience would be enhanced with "N" technology. You can get away with using your current Netgear as long as it actually works.

For your PC to talk to the router, you will need some type of wireless adapter. The USB type is popular these days and is pretty inexpensive. You can find a few on Ebay for around $20.

Buying dogs kills.
PWTRTXSS is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Lifer
 
Lason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: arlington
Posts: 11,144
Can the wireless USB's move alot of traffic? Like to game with?

I just went through this and bought a D-Link wireless B/G/N PCI card and installed it in my desktop. Works pretty good.
Lason is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS View Post
Wireless "N" is the fastest available to the public. Your gaming experience would be enhanced with "N" technology. You can get away with using your current Netgear as long as it actually works.

For your PC to talk to the router, you will need some type of wireless adapter. The USB type is popular these days and is pretty inexpensive. You can find a few on Ebay for around $20.
exactly. You can probably get a cheap N router for around 40 or 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Can the wireless USB's move alot of traffic? Like to game with?

I just went through this and bought a D-Link wireless B/G/N PCI card and installed it in my desktop. Works pretty good.
I am wondering the same. How much did you spend on your wireless NIC?
mstng86 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Lifer
 
Lason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: arlington
Posts: 11,144
Lason is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Wireless router:

http://www.frys.com/product/5913714?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

There you go, enjoy your gaming/porn surfing wireless entertainment.
mstng86 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Wicked98Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Valley Ranch
Posts: 1,169
Well I used the Netgear router before to play online and it wasn't bad, I could actually hardwire the XBOX since the cable comes out right by it, I'm not too concerned with gaming, I just want internet to my computer on the other side of the room and don't want to run a cable accross the floor.
Thanks for the replies though I will check out one of those USB types

Powdered doughnuts make me go nuts!
Wicked98Snake is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
Well I used the Netgear router before to play online and it wasn't bad, I could actually hardwire the XBOX since the cable comes out right by it, I'm not too concerned with gaming, I just want internet to my computer on the other side of the room and don't want to run a cable accross the floor.
Thanks for the replies though I will check out one of those USB types
Are you planning on streaming video? Because it will be sluggish with your current router.
mstng86 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Wicked98Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Valley Ranch
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Are you planning on streaming video? Because it will be sluggish with your current router.
I probably will at some point, I will go with what I got and if it's sluggish maybe I'll check out a better router at Frys by my house.

Powdered doughnuts make me go nuts!
Wicked98Snake is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Wicked98Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Valley Ranch
Posts: 1,169
So I got everything I need and tried to set this up last night, but I couldn't pick up a signal from my router. I have the internet to the moden then to the router, is there another step I am missing?? I tried to search for Networks on the Xbox but it didn't have my router listed??????? Am I doing it right??

Powdered doughnuts make me go nuts!
Wicked98Snake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome