Netbook Owner's - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Netbook Owner's

My cheap Toshiba crapped out on me and the cost to replace the motherboard was too expensive for the cost of the laptop. I noticed I only used it for web surfing and some general office usage and remote connections.

Curious if you like your Netbook and if the screen is not too small? I would only use it for a few minutes at a time that is why I'm considering one.

Looking at the Dell's due to having an account with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Time Served

My girlfriend has the dell 10.1" netbook. She loves it but I would upgrade the battery quick.

I have the Acer Eee netbook with the 10.1 screen. It also has the 160gig SSD drive w/ 1.5ghz atom processor. I haven't ever had an issue with it - also running windows 7 extreme. My work netbook is a Acer Aspire 8.9" - again no problems at all.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Lifer

We have a Acer Aspire One and have used it as the primary computer in the house for the past year. I recently dug the desktop back out only because I started playing WoW again. For normal web surfing a netbook is fine. I thought the screen was too small at first but got used to it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Lifer

I really don't like the small screen. And when watching videos i dunno what it is but it seems to never wanna play them smoothly. I can watch them on my iphone fine but when i go to watch it on my mini it doesn't work nearly as good.

Although just for web surfing maybe chatting with people on video it is decent. I just need a new computer. Maybe just me being bitter.

Don't talk about it! Be about it!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
We have a Acer Aspire One and have used it as the primary computer in the house for the past year. I recently dug the desktop back out only because I started playing WoW again. For normal web surfing a netbook is fine. I thought the screen was too small at first but got used to it.
I bought two of those, one is dead (apparently an overheated motherboard) and the other's battery died. Oh, and the sound drivers have always sucked.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I bought two of those, one is dead (apparently an overheated motherboard) and the other's battery died. Oh, and the sound drivers have always sucked.
Damn that is some bad luck! Mine has been great with the only exception being the vertical scroll on the track pad stops working from time to time. A restart gets it working again though.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick96GT View Post
My girlfriend has the dell 10.1" netbook. She loves it but I would upgrade the battery quick.

I have the Acer Eee netbook with the 10.1 screen. It also has the 160gig SSD drive w/ 1.5ghz atom processor. I haven't ever had an issue with it - also running windows 7 extreme. My work netbook is a Acer Aspire 8.9" - again no problems at all.
Asus makes the EEE - Acer makes the Aspire One

I love my Acer for work(remote site troubleshooting)/portable, but don't use it at home. I hate the trackpad and the audio leaves a lot to be desired, but other than that I can't complain. I do run an upgraded battery(9-cell) that gives me 8.5-9 hours of usage before needing a charge. This is my second Acer (9")- the first one I dropped and killed the HDD.

My Dad has the Aspire 10.1 and likes it.

Last edited by 71chevellejohn; 08-17-2010 at 01:12 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
SLOW

I have the HP 10.1 inch screen and I absolutely love it.
The one complaint I have is that google maps are one size and that is it.

Mustang Sally aint got shit on me!!!

2003 Mustang GT
2007 Black & Blue GSXR 600

http://www.myspace.com/aprils_stangpage
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Toshiba's NB305 is nicer than the mini10 IMO. Just wish they'd get this Pinetrail / Flash 10.1 bullshit figured out.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBlownSnake View Post
I have the HP 10.1 inch screen and I absolutely love it.
The one complaint I have is that google maps are one size and that is it.
Holy shit... where have you been little lady?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Lifer

I bought an HP 2133 last spring and while I liked the hi-res screen and build quality I found the mouse keys and battery life horrible and found I missed having an optical drive. I replaced it with a much newer Samsung netbook that was faster and had longer battery life but found I still needed an optical drive for burning cd's and DVD's. Netbooks are great for surfing the net and maybe typing a paper but are worthless for much more unless you buy an external DVD drive (defeats the purpose of it being portable). I ended up selling both and finding a used Fujitsu P7120 ultraportable and haven't looked back. My fujitsu is about the same size as most Netbooks but has a built in DVD burner. Sony sold a comparable Ultraportable series called the TX line up until about 2 years ago that also had incredible battery life and weighs about 3 pounds..but is a FULL computer (DVD burner, bluetooth, wifi, Core Solo, LED screen, card-readers, fingerprint scanner, etc, etc, etc). IMHO these ultraportables blow away ANY netbook because they don't compromise any of the features of a full blown laptop.

FUCK Canada
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick96GT View Post
also running windows 7 extreme
extreme?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
extreme?
http://www.win7extreme.project-os.org/
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
thanks for the link, might have to load up a vm with it to give it a shot.
thanks

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
any clue if there is an x64 version out?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
any clue if there is an x64 version out?
Actually, I know nothing about it... I'm just good at the internet(and it was the very first link on google).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement