Computer build: opinions? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Computer build: opinions?

Okay nerds, here's the build I've made on Newegg. Don't really think I need a case, already own an Antec Lanboy that I'm going to strip out. Give me your opinions.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
CPU heatsink: Zalman CNPS10X Performa
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Juniper XT
HDD: WD Caviar Green 1.5Tb
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W 80 Plus Silver
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4Gb(2x2) DDR3 1600

The whole system comes out ~$900, budget was $1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 PM
fuckcanada

I would recommend getting a case, the lanboy is ancient and wasn't the best case for air flow.
Also if your not going to be overclocking, ditch the BE edition with its unlocked multiplier. Although it probably isn't "that" much more than the proc right below it.
That's too much power supply for that system in all honestly, i think you could get by with a CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX. I power a similar amd system with a beefier gpu + more drives and an overclocked 550BE. Finally, scrap the 5770 and look at 5830 or even better a GTX460.

But I guess for a better opinion, you need to tell us a few things. What resolution is your monitor and what is the end goal for this system? Gaming? Office Work? Browsing the net? Hulu? ETc.....

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
I would recommend getting a case, the lanboy is ancient and wasn't the best case for air flow.
Also if your not going to be overclocking, ditch the BE edition with its unlocked multiplier. Although it probably isn't "that" much more than the proc right below it.
That's too much power supply for that system in all honestly, i think you could get by with a CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX. I power a similar amd system with a beefier gpu + more drives and an overclocked 550BE. Finally, scrap the 5770 and look at 5830 or even better a GTX460.

But I guess for a better opinion, you need to tell us a few things. What resolution is your monitor and what is the end goal for this system? Gaming? Office Work? Browsing the net? Hulu? ETc.....
I'd say go w/ a 500 watter just so he's not running in the headroom of the PSU. I'll second the GPU and case suggestion. Also, get a different cooler like a Hyper N-620 or 212+ and save some scratch. DOn't go through NE for the cooler, their chargin to much on their coolers.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Overclock the CPU and RAM and you got a winner. Except for the slowness of the "Green" hard drive. I don't know it might be ok. But all the "Greens" I've ever delt with were slow compared to my blacks. But watch your CPU temps with that cooler. Just to be safe. I'd go with a thermalright ultra 120 extreme cooler, or a Xigmatek if you are on a budget. You won't have temp problems with that one. The power supply, I'd stay with the 750W just cause I like to have headroom in case my next GPU is a gas guzzler. But I hear the 5770 isn't very bad about that. And paint the inside of the Antec black. Looks way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

-Moved up the the 965BE since this will be my workhorse for a few years. -Overclocking both CPU and RAM
-Changing to the 1TB Caviar Black 6.0Gb/s
-----might go SSD eventually, but still thinking about it
-Changed GPU to Gigabyte's 1Gb GTX460
-Changed cooler to the Scythe SCMG-2100
-Changed PSU to Antec TP-650

Still haven't decided on the case, but I am going to get a new one, ideas?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I've noticed AMD being pretty popular since I built my last rig about a year and a half ago or so. Is AMD perfered over Intel? I know there was always "groupies" for each brand, but is AMD good now or something?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

You cannot get the performance in an Intel chip that you can in AMD at the same price point.

ATM, Intel has the RAW power title but I think this will change once Bulldozer comes out.

Details

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Overclocking capabilities and price gets AMD for me, all my other computers have been Intel, but I'm not paying that much for an i7 and that's the only Intel chip I'd be buying since this is going to have to last me a while.

I'm upgrading from a 8 year old desktop btw, so I know I'll be happy with this build
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I was just curious. One of my long time gaming pals swears by AMD, and has for a while. I'm still using an E8400, which was one of the first 45nm chips that had some serious OC capability. Then I got a QX9650 for winning a COD tourny at ROGCON, which is really the only reason I have it. I'd never be able to afford a $1000+ part for a computer, but it was a nice prize. I knew AMD was making some real advancements in the GPU's over the last couple of years, it's cool to know their cpu's are competitive again too.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Say, when you get ready to get rid of that Q, lemme know. I'd like to fold the piss outta it.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
Say, when you get ready to get rid of that Q, lemme know. I'd like to fold the piss outta it.
LOL, you're first on the list. When the guy at the convention handed it to me after the tourny, he asked if I would wear a ROGCON shirt, and take a picture fir the site. I had a hard time letting go for him to hold while I sliped on the shirt. LOL, then I carried it around the rest of the night like a baby in my arms. I had already signed up to play another tourny later, and I played it with the processor in my lap. I was excited!

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Sweet! Sound like fun.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Okay hijackers j/k

Any opinions on good cases? I'd like to stick with a mid-tower
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I've always liked Cooler Master stuff. Check out the cm690. I think it's around $100, but they are very nice, tons of air-flow, easy to mod and work on. If you're looking for a less expensive, Check out the Gladiator 600.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0x3.48 View Post
I've noticed AMD being pretty popular since I built my last rig about a year and a half ago or so. Is AMD perfered over Intel? I know there was always "groupies" for each brand, but is AMD good now or something?
AMD doesn't hold a candle to Intel. They are the budget brand, plain and simple. Any amd guy who is honest with himself will tell you that. Intel will soon (if they aren't already) be making 32 nanometer chips, and AMD will probly be stuck on 45nm for another year or two. Plus intel are just waaay better overclockers. Just go over to any overclocking forum and ask around.

AMD also has smaller CPU cache, which is probly why they're cheaper. Just an example, I pulled the little 1.8Ghz intel e4300 out of my GF's gateway computer, and overclocked it to 3.6Ghz and ran it that way for two years. The chip is still in use today, although in a different system, and retired back to its 1.8Ghz. There just ain't no way in hell you are ever going to get any AMD chip to do that. No way. I have absolutely nothing against AMD at all. For what they are, they're great. I can take a typical budget AMD dual core and overclock it from 1.8-2.4Ghz, on up to 3.0-3.2Ghz so they are certainly very overclockable. They just aren't intels, and the price reflects that. But if I was building a medium-medium high gaming rig for a buddy or a family member, I would go AMD all the way. If I was building a balls to the wall, eat anything I throw at it and ask for more, then I would use an intel chip. They overclock way higher and they are just ahead of the game in technology, and they stay there.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
AMD doesn't hold a candle to Intel. They are the budget brand, plain and simple. Any amd guy who is honest with himself will tell you that. Intel will soon (if they aren't already) be making 32 nanometer chips, and AMD will probly be stuck on 45nm for another year or two. Plus intel are just waaay better overclockers. Just go over to any overclocking forum and ask around.

AMD also has smaller CPU cache, which is probly why they're cheaper. Just an example, I pulled the little 1.8Ghz intel e4300 out of my GF's gateway computer, and overclocked it to 3.6Ghz and ran it that way for two years. The chip is still in use today, although in a different system, and retired back to its 1.8Ghz. There just ain't no way in hell you are ever going to get any AMD chip to do that. No way. I have absolutely nothing against AMD at all. For what they are, they're great. I can take a typical budget AMD dual core and overclock it from 1.8-2.4Ghz, on up to 3.0-3.2Ghz so they are certainly very overclockable. They just aren't intels, and the price reflects that. But if I was building a medium-medium high gaming rig for a buddy or a family member, I would go AMD all the way. If I was building a balls to the wall, eat anything I throw at it and ask for more, then I would use an intel chip. They overclock way higher and they are just ahead of the game in technology, and they stay there.

The exact reasons for me going AMD instead of intel, price. Only wanted to spend around $1k and was much easier to do this with AMD. I think AMD is dropping to 32nm process next year with the new architecture they are announcing in more detail later this month.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:57 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

IMO I would go with the Intel i7 930. Not only should you get better performance but your mother board will have plenty of room for future growth. The i7 930 is on the same chipset as the i7-980 (hexicore). And remember, i7's are hyperthreaded, so your getting getting 8 threads of processing on one socket.

I'm not doing any gaming on my desktop but I'm running up to 15 Win2k3 and VMware ESX virtual machines at a time. These aren't static VMs. They are running as part of my VMware lab. That processor laughs at my work... I could add a lot more VMs but I'd run out of memory (12GB right now)..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Did intel ever come out with that 6 core 32nm monster chip? I thought they had been talking about that thing for a while now...

Quote:

Quote:
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 AM
dead

i dont know much about amd right now so i cant comment. i built a core i7 920 machine feb 2009! for sub $900. of course it helps i didnt have to pay for windows 7.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:41 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Did intel ever come out with that 6 core 32nm monster chip? I thought they had been talking about that thing for a while now...
Yes, that is the i7-980x. But it is hella expensive.

Intel also released their 8 core Xeons (based on the same Nehalem design) but they haven't made clear whether or not they are going to offer an i7 version for desktops..

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
Yes, that is the i7-980x. But it is hella expensive.

Intel also released their 8 core Xeons (based on the same Nehalem design) but they haven't made clear whether or not they are going to offer an i7 version for desktops..
Oh, but aren't they going to also sell the same exact chip, only clocked at lower speeds, for a much lower price? They do that a lot. Or is that the only 6 core that is going to be available?

Quote:

Quote:
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Oh, but aren't they going to also sell the same exact chip, only clocked at lower speeds, for a much lower price? They do that a lot. Or is that the only 6 core that is going to be available?
I think the i7-970 is a lower speed hexacore chip (3.2ghz vs 3.3ghz) but it is only about $100 cheaper.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I think the i7-970 is a lower speed hexacore chip (3.2ghz vs 3.3ghz) but it is only about $100 cheaper.
Dang that sucks I was gonna incorporate that into my next build, next year. Course by then they will probly have the 8 core chips out.

Quote:

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement