Overclocking? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Overclocking?

I know nothing about it but from what I've read overclocking is the main reason people build their own computer. I'm curious if I can really get anything extra out of my current components.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

BIOSTAR TA770 A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Sure, what CPU cooler you usin?

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
Sure, what CPU cooler you usin?
It's the stock cooler that came with the CPU. Only other cooling is what came with my tower and this is what I currently have...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119068

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Get you a CM Hyper 212+ or better CPU cooler and 3.4-6 should be no problem. Keep in mind, that no BE chips have a locked multi so you have OC through the FSB in turn OCing your memory as well.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I use to overclock competitively when I was a super nerd. I did everything from air to liquid nitrogen. I suggest you don't even try - you'll spend a shitload of money, lots of frustration, and by the time you get your shit running properly some douchebag 15 year old's parents will buy him a new processor which is now faster than yours. You do learn a lot about computers in the process though, but I'm done with it now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Canada is welcome here.

Well, there's no reason not to bump your processor up another 1 Ghz, even if you aren't into it hardcore. He'll feel like his computer lasts longer before it needs to be upgraded/replaced with a new machine. I'll never get into liquid nitrogen, unless they come out with a closed loop system someday that you don't have to add new LN2 to. For me, I just feel like you get a lot more for you money when you overclock. You can build the best PC in the world out of the all the best parts, and it'll have its ass whooped by the same pc, that has been overclocked. So it definitely lets you go longer without having to invest in a new PC to keep with the times.

But if you can overclock or not, is determined by the motherboard. In my experience, you have to have a "T-power" series motherboard if you are using a biostar brand motherboard. I am not sure though, maybe your bios has the overclocking options. Beware your CPU temps. I'd do a lot of reading up on it, cause if you do it the wrong way, you can kill your pc and have to buy new components. Or even corrupt your OS and lose all your data. And that would suck. Right now, I am running an intel core 2 duo e8400 at 4.1Ghz, and it only came stock running 3.0Ghz. My RAM was only supposed to run at 800Mhz, and I have it running at 1080Mhz. So the computer is hauling a good bit more ass than it would be without the overclock in place. And it shows, big time. When I get on any other computer, they feel like slugs. Even the brand new ones at best buy and the electronic stores. Especially laptops, ugh. I hate how slow laptops are now.

Its a lot like owning a stock mustang GT. Sure, its an ok car to begin with. But with a few upgrades, it can haul balls. Same thing with overclocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

Last edited by justinsn95; 07-31-2010 at 08:57 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Thanks for the input Justin. And now that I think about it, my mobo actually came with overclocking software from Biostar, hell i've even got an option to control my fan speeds in my computer case. Pretty sure I can OC my videocard as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement