Need a new ethernet card... damn lightning - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Angry Need a new ethernet card... damn lightning

Didn't realize it had stormed bad yesterday but I got home and my internet and cable box in my patio were out. After some troubleshooting it turns out it's the NIC on my desktop that got fried (and I'm guessing the cable box as well). This will be probably my fourth NIC I've lost due to storm weather. Is there anyway to protect these things? Guess I should be lucky I didn't lose anything else (modem/router/computer). I leave my desktop on while I'm gone for work and my cable box was recording something so it was just bad timing I guess.

<---- stopping at Fry's after work today

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Lifer

A real surge protector would be your best bet. Not one of those $3 strips.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
A real surge protector would be your best bet. Not one of those $3 strips.
Would that have protected the ethernet card though?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Would that have protected the ethernet card though?
Hmmm, I just thought about this deeper. Good question. I guess if you would have kept the modem plugged into the surge protector it would have. But maybe it is possible for the lightning to travel through the phone line and make its way to the card via the cat 5 cable.

<<
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
None

Quote:
Hmmm, I just thought about this deeper. Good question. I guess if you would have kept the modem plugged into the surge protector it would have. But maybe it is possible for the lightning to travel through the phone line and make its way to the card via the cat 5 cable.

<<
Not in IT either by what you posted.

A modem is not a a NIC.
A phone line is not CAT5.

Tripp Lite and APC both have a 1:1 filter with a grounding wire. We've used them on VOIP phones with POE before and hadn't had any negative performance issues.

Edit: Ah hell - I'm cranky. I realize you can be talking about a DSL / Cable modem. Just read it wrong.

Last edited by Jedi; 07-27-2010 at 12:44 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:

<<
Well it's cable not DSL so not sure about the reference to phone lines. Don't know but I've gone through a number of cards over the years and only at this house (been here 10 years). Before I had broadband I went through a few dial up modems as well. I can see losing a dial up modem to a surge on the phone lines maybe. Maybe I had a surge through the coax? Go figure.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Time Served

I know that the surge protector I have has phone, ethernet, and coax plugs on it. May be worth looking into. I want to say it was around $30.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Not in IT either by what you posted.

A modem is not a a NIC.
A phone line is not CAT5.

Tripp Lite and APC both have a 1:1 filter with a grounding wire. We've used them on VOIP phones with POE before and hadn't had any negative performance issues.

Edit: Ah hell - I'm cranky. I realize you can be talking about a DSL / Cable modem. Just read it wrong.
yea I was posting under the assumption jose is using a dsl line. But it is a good practice to get a surge protector for this exact reason.

Jose, I doubt the coax had a surge. Put the cable modem on the protector along with all your computer components.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans View Post
I know that the surge protector I have has phone, ethernet, and coax plugs on it. May be worth looking into. I want to say it was around $30.
This is what you need. The better ones are obviously more expensive, but I think it is worth it. Especially on high end items like tvs and comps.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Didn't know that surge protectors came with protection for ethernet. I'll have to look into that.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
This should suit you fine.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0288993

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
That's exactly what I need! Thanks man. Now if I can get my jacked up network to work again. Shouldn't have started drinking, not thinking straight

So I swapped in the Ethernet and after a few tries (think the reset of the network connection did it) I got it to work directly from the modem to the NIC. For some reason I can't get it to work through the router but haven't tried it since I got it working directly through the NIC. I'll mess with it tomorrow.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Lifer

Why not get a UPS instead, since you are already thinking about it.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0286289
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Very Interesting

Troubleshooting 101
Elimate all POFs (points of failure) to determine root problem

Computer, NIC, Cable, Router, Cable, Modem, Cable

Easiest first, replace cables
Next, bypass or replace router/switch with spare device for testing
Next, check NIC
finally check PC

Since you had two devices out, PC and DVR, i'd say it's possibly a router/switch problem?

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Sorry Matt I should have given more information.

On the Cable box, only one didn't work (the one that was on at the time). The other one I have in my living room works fine. Got a new cable box and it's fine.

On the computer, I hooked up my laptop directly to the modem and it works, my desktop that's right by the modem doesn't work. I've since bought a new NIC and it's working fine.

Now it worked fine when plugged directly into the modem but wouldn't work with the router. I've swapped in a different router and now it's working. I'm still messing around with the router to make sure it's fried. I've tried resetting it 2 or 3 different times and no go. No wireless and no wired through it but it lights up fine. Other router is working fine after a reset and reconfigure of settings.

Now that I got that working I tried my other computer in my living room. I cannot get a connection working with it either. Seemed like I got it once (brought up a web page) but everything loaded extremely slow and wouldn't refresh. I think it was just bringing up cached memory. Weatherbug also just sat there trying to load. Haven't verified it's the cable (it's about a 75' run) but I'm sure the NIC on it somehow got fried to (it was off at the time). I'll hook up my laptop to it later to check the cable and I've also get an ethernet tester I can try on it also to test the cable,

Well that's about it. Thanks for help and suggestions everybody. Jezzus I'm getting rusty. I've worked at my current job for to long and sat on my ass not having to do shit

Now I've got to come up with a solution to protect myself in the future. Like I've said, I've had to replace the NIC a few times and now I've got a 3 different computers to worry about. What would you guys suggest? I'm thinking at the minimum I need that APC surge protector. Does APC make one similar in a UPS?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Oh, I've got a couple of UPS's but the batteries are dead. Is it possible to get replacement batteries and is it something that's user replaceable? One is some off brand while the other is an APC.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Oh, I've got a couple of UPS's but the batteries are dead. Is it possible to get replacement batteries and is it something that's user replaceable? One is some off brand while the other is an APC.
Yep, we replace the batteries in all of our UPS's every 1 1/2 years or so. We have an Interstate battery store right across the street - makes it easy. The batteries are considerably cheaper than replacing the whole unit.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
Yep, we replace the batteries in all of our UPS's every 1 1/2 years or so. We have an Interstate battery store right across the street - makes it easy. The batteries are considerably cheaper than replacing the whole unit.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Now that I got that working I tried my other computer in my living room. I cannot get a connection working with it either. Seemed like I got it once (brought up a web page) but everything loaded extremely slow and wouldn't refresh. I think it was just bringing up cached memory. Weatherbug also just sat there trying to load. Haven't verified it's the cable (it's about a 75' run) but I'm sure the NIC on it somehow got fried to (it was off at the time). I'll hook up my laptop to it later to check the cable and I've also get an ethernet tester I can try on it also to test the cable,
Just an easy test, disconnect both sides of that 75' cat 5 cable and reconnect it after 10 sec. I know it sounds stupid but it has worked for me before.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Just an easy test, disconnect both sides of that 75' cat 5 cable and reconnect it after 10 sec. I know it sounds stupid but it has worked for me before.
Done. What I haven't done (which I'll do tonight) is pull the NIC out and reinsert it and see what it does. I wish I had a good NIC to swap into it, I guess I could pull the one from my main desktop and try that. It will also give me a chance to blow out the dust in the case and maybe install an extra HDD. I should probably buy a couple of extra NIC's to have around as spares. There cheap enough and I'd probably swing by Fry's today and pick one up but it's a little out of the way.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement