Selling a laptop on eBay.... clearing the hard drive? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Selling a laptop on eBay.... clearing the hard drive?

I am gonna be throwing up my old Dell XPS M1330 on eBay in the next few days, and I am wondering what to do as far as wiping the HD to make sure that no personal data is compromised.

I still have all of the restore software, so I was thinking that I would just format the HD and ship it with a fresh install of Vista, but I have been reading that doing this could leave some data still accessible to a "motivated" person who was wanting to mine data.

I have seen a few programs that basically rewrite the entire HD with garbage so that no previous data will remain, but do you guys really think that is necessary? I would think that the majority of people would not know how to access old data if I do a format and reinstall the OS. Would it be stupid of me to assume that?

For those of you who have sold their old machines to strangers, what did you do to ensure that your data was safe?

SC300 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
http://www.dban.org/

/thread

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Lifer

Well aint that somethin...I was just thinkin bout getting one of those to replace my XPS M1210. Does it have the onboard video or the High end graphics card that is known to fail over time? PM the details on it.

FUCK Canada

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
Well aint that somethin...I was just thinkin bout getting one of those to replace my XPS M1210. Does it have the onboard video or the High end graphics card that is known to fail over time? PM the details on it.
I did send you a pm, but honestly, I would not recommend picking one of these machines up. They work ok, but the damn things run SO hot. I am talking like burn your ass hot if you are working the processor hard for any length of time. I am pretty sure it is this heat that leads to the problems with the NVIDIA video card. They look cool, but there are much better options out there, IMO.

I was given a 2 year old 2.5ghz Macbook Pro that needed some small repairs by my roommate. I spent about $250 getting it back to like new, and I LOVE it. I haven't used my XPS once since I got the MBP up and running. And as it turns out, the NVIDIA graphics card in the macs fail prematurely, too! Luckily, Apple will fix them at no cost from what I have heard.

SC300 5spd
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsr20de View Post
I did send you a pm, but honestly, I would not recommend picking one of these machines up. They work ok, but the damn things run SO hot. I am talking like burn your ass hot if you are working the processor hard for any length of time. I am pretty sure it is this heat that leads to the problems with the NVIDIA video card. They look cool, but there are much better options out there, IMO.

I was given a 2 year old 2.5ghz Macbook Pro that needed some small repairs by my roommate. I spent about $250 getting it back to like new, and I LOVE it. I haven't used my XPS once since I got the MBP up and running. And as it turns out, the NVIDIA graphics card in the macs fail prematurely, too! Luckily, Apple will fix them at no cost from what I have heard.
I did a a lot of reading about the Nvidia failures which is why I asked about it. Ironically I also picked up a Macbook that I am still learning with. It is the late 2008 model 4,1 that uses the GMA X3100 and again...for my uses it works great. I wanted to compare a 1330 side by side with my Macbook to see which I liked better.

FUCK Canada
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 AM
老师

I have an XPS 15 whatever the fuck it is froma couple years ago, and you're right about the thing running hot as shit. That's my only complaint because otherwise it works for whatever i need it for and some things i dont need it for. It runs whatever games I want to play on it flawlessly.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
I did a a lot of reading about the Nvidia failures which is why I asked about it. Ironically I also picked up a Macbook that I am still learning with. It is the late 2008 model 4,1 that uses the GMA X3100 and again...for my uses it works great. I wanted to compare a 1330 side by side with my Macbook to see which I liked better.
I can almost guarantee the MacBook will be better, unless you want to play games. OS X is so much better than Vista it's not even funny.

SC300 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement