Trying to burn a data DVD disc. Need help finding the right disc - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
DFWS

Trying to burn a data DVD disc. Need help finding the right disc

My laptop will not read these maxell dvd-r disc I bought. Which brand should I buy and do I get dvd-r or dvd-rw’s? Also do I use plus + or minus - disc?

I'm lost here on this crap! haha...

Keepin' The Old School Alive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post
My laptop will not read these maxell dvd-r disc I bought. Which brand should I buy and do I get dvd-r or dvd-rw’s? Also do I use plus + or minus - disc?

I'm lost here on this crap! haha...
I think you need to first find out what type of drive the laptop has in it to determine what formats are compatible with it for burning and playing. You should be able to determine the drive model number by looking at the system hardware menu in control panel (click on cd/dvd drives). Once you have that you can do a search on the interwebz for that drive and you should be able to get all the info you want on it. Most newer drives in laptops will read and write to both DVD + and - as well as rewritable...so unless your laptop is a bit older you should be able to use either one with little issue.

FUCK Canada
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Time Served

R - means write once
RW - means rewritable

I usually buy Verbatim DVD+R. Don't bother with RW.

There are also DL or Dual Dayer, usually labeled as DVD+R DL. Dual layer can hold twice as much information. Single layer holds 4.7GB, and double holds 8.5GB.

Buy the "+" dvds, unless your burner only supports "-".

'01 Bullitt #0054

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
Don't bother with RW.
Kinda curious why you don't like RW. I use the crap out of em since they can be reused over and over. They are great for regularly backing up data. I also use DOUBLE SIDED DVD-RAM.

FUCK Canada
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
DFWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
I think you need to first find out what type of drive the laptop has in it to determine what formats are compatible with it for burning and playing. You should be able to determine the drive model number by looking at the system hardware menu in control panel (click on cd/dvd drives). Once you have that you can do a search on the interwebz for that drive and you should be able to get all the info you want on it. Most newer drives in laptops will read and write to both DVD + and - as well as rewritable...so unless your laptop is a bit older you should be able to use either one with little issue.
thanks! my acer is 8 months old. i checked its a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S ATA Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
R - means write once
RW - means rewritable

I usually buy Verbatim DVD+R. Don't bother with RW.

There are also DL or Dual Dayer, usually labeled as DVD+R DL. Dual layer can hold twice as much information. Single layer holds 4.7GB, and double holds 8.5GB.

Buy the "+" dvds, unless your burner only supports "-".
thank you

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
thanks! my acer is 8 months old. i checked its a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S ATA Device thank you

Well according to the manufacturers website it SHOULD work with both DVD + and - as well as RW. I've had better compatibility results using dvd+ than I have with dvd-, but the issues were mainly with considerably older computers and DVD players. Guess you'll have to experiment. What program are you using to burn discs?

FUCK Canada
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Kinda curious why you don't like RW. I use the crap out of em since they can be reused over and over. They are great for regularly backing up data. I also use DOUBLE SIDED DVD-RAM.
I use flash drives for rewriting stuff. DVDs take too long to burn. DVDs should be used for movies you want to keep, or copies of games, copy of a program to give to a friend, etc.

For regular back ups I use a large external hard drive.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
DFWS

Quote:
Well according to the manufacturers website it SHOULD work with both DVD + and - as well as RW. I've had better compatibility results using dvd+ than I have with dvd-, but the issues were mainly with considerably older computers and DVD players. Guess you'll have to experiment. What program are you using to burn discs?
Nero 7

i'll buy some dvd+r disc today an try it out

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Nero 7

i'll buy some dvd+r disc today an try it out
Ok...I use Nero on my Windows computers and if you start at the START menu, look at your programs in the list....once you find Nero it will expand to all the available Nero options and one will be INFOTOOL. Click on that option. It will show you every option basically that your optical drive is capable of and also the brand, model, speeds, read and write options, etc. Not saying you have a bad drive...some discs work better than others that are supposedly the same specs. To be honest with you...over the last 8 or so years I've gone to Frys and bought the absolute cheapest GQ blank DVD+R 50 pack that they sold and have had fantastic results with them. I've had worse luck using more expensive name brand discs from Sony, Maxell, Verbatim, Memorex, TDK, etc.
IF your DVD drive is going out...I have a couple of spare laptop drives that I got out of bad laptops that work (NEC...double layer DVD+-rw,DVD ram burners) that I'm not using. They are tested and work perfectly.

FUCK Canada
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
DFWS

Quote:
Ok...I use Nero on my Windows computers and if you start at the START menu, look at your programs in the list....once you find Nero it will expand to all the available Nero options and one will be INFOTOOL. Click on that option. It will show you every option basically that your optical drive is capable of and also the brand, model, speeds, read and write options, etc. Not saying you have a bad drive...some discs work better than others that are supposedly the same specs. To be honest with you...over the last 8 or so years I've gone to Frys and bought the absolute cheapest GQ blank DVD+R 50 pack that they sold and have had fantastic results with them. I've had worse luck using more expensive name brand discs from Sony, Maxell, Verbatim, Memorex, TDK, etc.
IF your DVD drive is going out...I have a couple of spare laptop drives that I got out of bad laptops that work (NEC...double layer DVD+-rw,DVD ram burners) that I'm not using. They are tested and work perfectly.
thanks for the help. i'll let you know if its gone bad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement