Is this computer a decent choice for a mild use computer? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
I voted for McCain!!

Is this computer a decent choice for a mild use computer?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachine...&skuId=9703523

I know nothing about computers and my current Dell took a dump. The only thing I will be using this computer for is Youtube, checking e-mail, forums and normal websites. Is this computer a decent choice?

$379 at Best Buy

◦eMachines PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse
◦Software: Adobe Reader; Microsoft Works and more
◦Owner's manual
Product Features
◦Intel® Pentium® processor E5400
Features 2 processing cores, 800MHz frontside bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.7GHz processor speed.
◦Intel® Pentium® processor
Features classic 2-way processing performance, letting you run multiple applications simultaneously, so you can browse, send instant messages, download music and transfer photos all at once.
◦4GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power.
◦Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media. Also supports DVD-RAM.
◦750GB Serial ATA hard drive
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
◦NVIDIA GeForce 7050 graphics
Features 256MB video memory for lush images. High-definition audio with 7.1-channel support.
◦Multi-in-1 digital media reader
Supports CompactFlash I/II, CompactFlash Plus, Microdrive, Secure Digital, miniSD, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard mobile, MultiMediaCard micro, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard and xD-Picture Card formats.
◦Also supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo and Memory Stick Micro formats.
◦6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.
◦Built-in 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector
For flexible wired Web connectivity options.
◦Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable computing platform.
◦Software package included
With Adobe Reader, Microsoft Works and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 also included.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

it would get the job done.

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Time Served

http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-...G-01w/13352324

that ones at walmart .. a emachine for like $275 .. if u are just emailing and getting on sites like this, that would survive and be cheapest way out.. minus youll need a monitor which walmart has for $140..

"I'd rather be rich than stupid"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:20 AM
duh...duh....duh

Yes

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Time Served

It will do the job, personally I believe all these computers practilly use all the same components - cheapest wins! What you want is to put in your money in is support and future upgrade potiential. In the end you want something that is stable and works everytime you hit the power button - and when it doesn't someone you can call that can help you as quickly as possible.

If you want to play the newest COD game you may want to check in for memory upgrade limitations and how far you can upgrade the video card before you can exceed the system's limitations.

Another thing to look out for is cooling design and how easy is it to work on yourself. Does emachines give you online manuals how to tear it apart? I'm partial to Dell, whilst they dissapoint me from time to time it's what i work with everyday at work, and it's a brand and company I know very well. My inside tip to you and everyone else - if you want American support buy from the small business section online.

I personally like to "rebuild" any computer i use or I prepare for someone else. Wipe it clean and do a clean OS/driver install. Get all the crap the system builder puts on there. HP/Compaq makes this almost impossible with their magic restore disk - No Windows Disk - just one DVD with everything on it. Don't know about eMachines.

These are just my views, and there are a lot views out there. Get on the forums read reviews before you buy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Lifer

Microcenter and others are selling refurbed Dell GX620 and GX745 for about $200. Those are good machines at a good price. Worth checking into. Last year, there was an online seller that had them really cheap too.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Time Served

It's a bit overkill IMO for the demanding use you will put on it. Althought I cant believe that after all these years they would make gigabit ethernet LAN the standard.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Packin' up...

For just those simple tasks are you not interested in a netbook?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 AM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave586 View Post
It will do the job, personally I believe all these computers practilly use all the same components - cheapest wins! What you want is to put in your money in is support and future upgrade potiential. In the end you want something that is stable and works everytime you hit the power button - and when it doesn't someone you can call that can help you as quickly as possible.

If you want to play the newest COD game you may want to check in for memory upgrade limitations and how far you can upgrade the video card before you can exceed the system's limitations.
Ok, I had a huge post typed up and realized you could read dave586's response from many different perspectives. What I think you're doing is comparing the two PCs that had links posted, correct? If that's the case, then no. The machines are different. I'd pick the machine with the E5400 anyday over the machine with the AMD athlon processor. Cheaper is not always better. I would not put my money in support unless you are completely terrified of computers or don't have a geek in the family. Future upgrade potential is a good idea but should only be based on necessity of the user. If the user never wants to go nuts, then you don't need expandability.

I could go on all day about how not all machines are created equal. To the OP: if you need help building a custom machine, holler at me and I can give you advice. Hotrod machines are always cheaper to build yourself. But for a machine like what you've listed, you can't build one yourself cheaper.

Last edited by KJ94GT; 06-02-2010 at 10:11 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Time Served

If you can service a car then a computer is a piece of cake. Don't settle for the Wal-Mart "best value" brand just because you know nothing. Anything you buy from Wal-Mart will fall apart in half the time than somewhere else -- computers included. Find something at Fry's, Best Buy, etc. Dell / HP / Asus / name brand. You'll save money not having to buy another computer within the year.

Check craigslist too...used computers are usually decent deals.

I've got one broke eMachines box sitting in my house and my father hates his because he can't upgrade enough to play Tiger Woods 2006 an ancient game by today's standards. You are definitely stuck with their CD and crapware on the box.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT View Post
Ok, I had a huge post typed up and realized you could read dave586's response from many different perspectives. What I think you're doing is comparing the two PCs that had links posted, correct? If that's the case, then no. The machines are different. I'd pick the machine with the E5400 anyday over the machine with the AMD athlon processor. Cheaper is not always better. I would not put my money in support unless you are completely terrified of computers or don't have a geek in the family. Future upgrade potential is a good idea but should only be based on necessity of the user. If the user never wants to go nuts, then you don't need expandability.

I could go on all day about how not all machines are created equal. To the OP: if you need help building a custom machine, holler at me and I can give you advice. Hotrod machines are always cheaper to build yourself. But for a machine like what you've listed, you can't build one yourself cheaper.
^^^^
computers are not equal. Generic motherboard =! Tyan/MSI/Other brand name board. Hard drives, video cards and especially memory are not equal. Dell/HP/Compaq/eMachines use the cheapest components to get the machines sold. Dell at least in their XPS line use better hardware but you pay moar for it.

i was just commenting on the emachine from the OP. I'd take the E5400 anyday myself.

Just on the note of the hotrod machine...I use to custom build my computers. Then one day I got tired of screwing with it after trying to tweak something, not sure if working on computers 60 to 80 hours a week did it, or I couldn't play my favorite games because I was tweaking with my baddass hot rod computer. I just wanted something that worked when I pressed the on button. I wanted something that I could call ONE company and get the hardware support I needed after proving indeed it was that part that failed. I realized that I could buy a refurb Dell XPS computer and upgrade it with off the shelf parts to make it play my games like I wanted. It might not be as cheap as building it myself, but for +$500 or so bucks the time of not having to screw with it as much is worth it. I have more free time to work on my car :-D
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmoyer View Post
If you can service a car then a computer is a piece of cake. Don't settle for the Wal-Mart "best value" brand just because you know nothing. Anything you buy from Wal-Mart will fall apart in half the time than somewhere else -- computers included. Find something at Fry's, Best Buy, etc. Dell / HP / Asus / name brand. You'll save money not having to buy another computer within the year.

Check craigslist too...used computers are usually decent deals.

I've got one broke eMachines box sitting in my house and my father hates his because he can't upgrade enough to play Tiger Woods 2006 an ancient game by today's standards. You are definitely stuck with their CD and crapware on the box.
So if I buy an HP G71 from walmart and a HP G71 from Frys, the one from Frys will last longer?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
So if I buy an HP G71 from walmart and a HP G71 from Frys, the one from Frys will last longer?
Was thinking the same thing

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Time Served

It will be easier to return it to Walmart, and they won't try to re-sell it as new...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Lifer

Good point, I hate fry's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement