new HTC EVO (sprint)- worth dropping iphone for? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

new HTC EVO (sprint)- worth dropping iphone for?

Currently with att and the iphone. Just heard about this new phone and its debut on june 4. Anyone heard anything bad about this phone? I'm debating switching to sprint from att. Does sprint have good service? I like how the phone can be a wifi hotspot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Lifer

Have you seen the demostrations on youtube? It seems like its going to be great phone. I myself am going to wait alittle while before I switch phones.

1998 Black SVT Cobra #2885
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 AM
KJ94GT

Get ready for the Sprint-hater bandwagon.
Do a search. There's a thousand threads about Sprint vs AT&T vs T-Mobile vs Verizon vs Metro PCS.

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Meh, I want one, but not on sprint's service. I have a few friends with sprint phones and they always get delayed texts, or you have to call them a few times before their phone actually rings. I'm on att as well, wanting to leave, they just dont offer anything great phone wise anymore.

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
$uper $low

I was with sprint for 9 years, with no problems. Left because i wanted the iphone.
Going back to sprint for the evo, cheaper monthly bill, 4g speeds, and to get back to an android phone to play with.

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50 View Post
Meh, I want one, but not on sprint's service. I have a few friends with sprint phones and they always get delayed texts, or you have to call them a few times before their phone actually rings. I'm on att as well, wanting to leave, they just dont offer anything great phone wise anymore.
that's funny Jeremy, i called a friend's Iphone yesterday and it just kept ringing, called 3 times and it never went to voicemail, is that a new app? I know Iphones are bad about dropping calls but that is a new one on me.

As far as the delayed text bit, I haven't ever had any problems with that? Sometimes I'll send pics to a bud on ATT and it will get rejected cause the pic was too big or some BS like that but no text problems.

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
that's funny Jeremy, i called a friend's Iphone yesterday and it just kept ringing, called 3 times and it never went to voicemail, is that a new app? I know Iphones are bad about dropping calls but that is a new one on me.

As far as the delayed text bit, I haven't ever had any problems with that? Sometimes I'll send pics to a bud on ATT and it will get rejected cause the pic was too big or some BS like that but no text problems.
Are you retarded by any chance? It happened to you almost every day I walked with you selling fios, when me or Austin would call you, on your sprint phone, LOL. Yes, iphones suck, but I haven't any other problems with AT&T's network with any other phone. I'm not trying to defend them either way, I'm thinking of switching to Sprint, or T-mobile which is just as bad in some areas.

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM
fuckcanada

my girl is gonna get one, well we already pre-ordered. I cannot fucking stand att's network, my phone drops calls left and right.
so if it really lives up to its hype, i'll sell my 32gb 3gs to get one. or just downgrade my iphone to ipod status.

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
$uper $low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
or just downgrade my iphone to ipod status.
I really want to sell mine, but i'm leaning towards doing the same.
Maybe i can find someone with an ipod touch wanting to get an iphone.

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
May the Force be w/you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I really want to sell mine, but i'm leaning towards doing the same.
Maybe i can find someone with an ipod touch wanting to get an iphone.
;-)

However my iPod is an 8g
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
my girl is gonna get one, well we already pre-ordered. I cannot fucking stand att's network, my phone drops calls left and right.
so if it really lives up to its hype, i'll sell my 32gb 3gs to get one. or just downgrade my iphone to ipod status.
That's not ATT's network you are having a problem with, it's the iPhone that causes all the dropped calls/issues.

I have a Samsung Impression with ATT and never had dropped calls, missed texts, or any of the other issues that iPhone users complain of.

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
That's not ATT's network you are having a problem with, it's the iPhone that causes all the dropped calls/issues.

I have a Samsung Impression with ATT and never had dropped calls, missed texts, or any of the other issues that iPhone users complain of.
x2
Im still using a blackberry pearl that is 2 years old and it never has problems on the ATT network.

I will be getting the iphone 4g when it comes out.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
tha cookie

I have had a Iphone for some time now and never really ever had a problem.

1999 Ford Mustang- Back in Black: under construction

2004 Honda Element- not so much racing goodies the daily driver
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Lifer

Cost of service alone is reason enough to switch. There are lots of ways of getting a 25% service discount with Sprint so all that + 4G = win

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

you have to pay a monthly premium for that 4g speed btw..
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Doughnut Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
WHere did you hear that?
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
its not that much, still cheaper than getting an at&t plan that is comparable. Not to mention getting discounts on your plan can help you a bunch.

post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadhead View Post
WHere did you hear that?
It is true, there are about 5000 EVO's out there already and some are available on ebay. There is a monthly premium, I can't tell you what it is cause its suppose to be 'hush hush'.... but if you take a look at the best buy preorder thread in the computer and gaming forum, you'll know.

post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Doughnut Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
It is true, there are about 5000 EVO's out there already and some are available on ebay. There is a monthly premium, I can't tell you what it is cause its suppose to be 'hush hush'.... but if you take a look at the best buy preorder thread in the computer and gaming forum, you'll know.
Not doubting it. I just haven't seen or heard it. Hopefully it's not too much.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

its really not that much, now if you wanted to do the hotspot part that is quite a premium, but its still a lot cheaper than getting a aircard data plan.

post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Doughnut Lover!

I can't upgrade until August so I have time to see what is what. I plan on getting the EVO though.
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadhead View Post
Not doubting it. I just haven't seen or heard it. Hopefully it's not too much.

It's $10/month. It still comes out cheaper than the other carriers that don't even have any 4G service.

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I've been looking at the HTC EVO and I think it is an interesting device. I think the hardware is straight out kickass.

But it runs Windows. Not my favorite phone OS by a long shot. IMO Android and iPhone OS 4 beat it. But this is a personal preference. Keep in mind that HTC also does Android phones and you can bet there will be an Android version of the EVO.

But my large concern is Sprint. I agree with others that their network is actually pretty decent. I rarely had a dropped call in the 10 years I used Sprint. I only changed to ATT for an iPhone but I had A LOT fewer dropped calls with my 10 years with Sprint than I did with ATT in less than 2 years.

My concern is their 4G network. First off, they haven't built it out very fast. They are basically running of Clearwire. Also, it is WiMax when the rest of the world is going with LTE. But the real problem is Sprint's own CEO said just last week that they are NOT committed to WiMax and may very well go with LTE. If that happens, where does that leave people with WiMax devices. It is Sprints lack of commitment to WiMax that concerns me.

For me personally, I'm going to hold off on a new iPhone (or other device) this year. ATT and Verizon are just starting their LTE roll outs this year and Verizon expects it to be nationwide next year. That is when things will be a little more interesting..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

Since i live in the sticks i've had to go with verizon. I'm quite happy with the 3g service on the wifes moto droid. I went with the htc incredible just waiting for it to arrive.

Its going to get to a point where better batterys are going to have to be used. These phones are turning into mini computers and the battery's just cant keep up. To solve this issue ill just buy a dock for work.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Lifer

I've been having problems with my AT&T 3G coverage on my Samsung Jack. Its not even a few months old. I will be browsing the internet and it will just cut down to no service. Also on some phone calls it will be scratchy and spotty service, then it will drop. My work phone is Verizon and Ive had no issues with it. I would cancel my service if I wasnt locked in a contract.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Founding Member

What a good slide out keyboard phone for ATT? My wife is looking for something.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Loves the Haterz!!

I have the Palm Pre currently but that phone looks very promising. Only downfall for me...is trying to text with touch screen only. Ill fat finger the shit out of it

Wake up and smell the Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I just crave meat...so any of those places is always good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Notch View Post
I never got the "talk" from either of my parents
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I've been looking at the HTC EVO and I think it is an interesting device. I think the hardware is straight out kickass.

But it runs Windows. Not my favorite phone OS by a long shot. IMO Android and iPhone OS 4 beat it. But this is a personal preference. Keep in mind that HTC also does Android phones and you can bet there will be an Android version of the EVO.
Where the hell did you hear that it runs Windows?

Should launch with Eclair on it and should also be the first phone with an update to Froyo.

post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Television taste funny

I am not a fan of the Iphone but it's a case of the network being built more for coverage than bandwith. Old technology out there that is currently being replaced but it is taking time.
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Target Practice

Looks like a nice chance to upgrade from my pos blackberry curve lol I am a multi-tasking champ!

White Hot Media
VENUECITY.com
Carmod.net
The Standard Issue <-RIP
SJB 3.29.85-1.24.08
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:

you may be right, but my palm pre on att's network isn't much better.

post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
What a good slide out keyboard phone for ATT? My wife is looking for something.
I have the Samsung Impression and I love it. Beautiful AMOLED screen, nice slide out keyboard that is really easy to use. No issues with service/dropped calls with mine. Check out the online reviews.

post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Time Served

Not sure why everyone is bitching about their iPhones. I'm in sales and it is a great tool for what I do.

I've had one for over a year and typically go through a blackberry every 3-6 months just from use and abuse. I keep my iPhone in a otterbox and use the hell out of it for work and love it.

I've had AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon (sprint and verizon on company blackberry) and AT&T has always done better for me.

NOTHING happens until somebody SELLS something
'00 V70SE '05 Ranger Edge
'00 Volvo V70R Laser Blue 1 of 20, 1 of 1 with 6 speed swap
300AWHP/400TQ
post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
I have the Samsung Impression and I love it. Beautiful AMOLED screen, nice slide out keyboard that is really easy to use. No issues with service/dropped calls with mine. Check out the online reviews.
LOL. Thats what she has now and is broke so they are sending her a new one. She wants something with more internet capability.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
As stated - $10 per month "Premium Data add-on" on top of their plan and $29.99 a month for the Hot Spot feature.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:

But my large concern is Sprint. I agree with others that their network is actually pretty decent. I rarely had a dropped call in the 10 years I used Sprint. I only changed to ATT for an iPhone but I had A LOT fewer dropped calls with my 10 years with Sprint than I did with ATT in less than 2 years.

My concern is their 4G network. First off, they haven't built it out very fast. They are basically running of Clearwire. Also, it is WiMax when the rest of the world is going with LTE. But the real problem is Sprint's own CEO said just last week that they are NOT committed to WiMax and may very well go with LTE. If that happens, where does that leave people with WiMax devices. It is Sprints lack of commitment to WiMax that concerns me.

For me personally, I'm going to hold off on a new iPhone (or other device) this year. ATT and Verizon are just starting their LTE roll outs this year and Verizon expects it to be nationwide next year. That is when things will be a little more interesting..
Ummm - http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/s...june-4-for-199

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
YnoT

Unlimited Data and mobile to mobile (450 landline minutes) =$69.99+$10 for 4G. This plan works for me because I only use maybe 100-200 landline minutes per month. Everyone I know has a cell so I just use the minutes to call businesses from time to time. I recommend that you pre order through Radio Shack. You can Pre order with a $50 deposit. The Phone will be $199 there same as with sprint except you don't have to worry about a mail in rebate. Sprint=$299 and $100 mail in rebate. Plus if you pre order you get a $20 gift card for accessories. As for the hotspot deal for $25 you don't have to worry about that. Visit www.ppcgeeks.com and download the .cab called WiFiSharing I've been using it with my touch pro 2 as well as some other phones and never had a problem with it. Best of all its FREE .
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:

As someone else already mentioned, the EVO will be an Android-powered device.

Sprint hasn't built out their 4G network very fast? You do realize how much money it takes to deploy a nationwide network, right? It took years for everyone's 3G to blanket the nation. It'll also take years for 4G to do the same. We turned up 350+ sites in DFW in less than 6 months. I'd say that's a pretty aggressive deployment once they commited. Also, they're not running off of Clearwire. Clearwire is running off of them. The mobile WiMax network was originally deployed (up until Dec 2008) by Sprint XOHM. Then Clearwire and Sprint XOHM merged. Clearwire is now deploying. Google, Time Warner, Comcast, Intel and a plethora of other investors have a stake in Clearwire. Basically, anyone offering "4G" right now is piggy backing off of Clearwire. Sprint's CEO said they weren't committed to WiMax? Do you mean Clearwire's CEO? And there's been talk of multi-technology devices (WiMax, LTE, 3G, 4G, etc). Just offering my 2 cents.
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT View Post
As someone else already mentioned, the EVO will be an Android-powered device.

Sprint hasn't built out their 4G network very fast? You do realize how much money it takes to deploy a nationwide network, right? It took years for everyone's 3G to blanket the nation. It'll also take years for 4G to do the same. We turned up 350+ sites in DFW in less than 6 months. I'd say that's a pretty aggressive deployment once they commited. Also, they're not running off of Clearwire. Clearwire is running off of them. The mobile WiMax network was originally deployed (up until Dec 2008) by Sprint XOHM. Then Clearwire and Sprint XOHM merged. Clearwire is now deploying. Google, Time Warner, Comcast, Intel and a plethora of other investors have a stake in Clearwire. Basically, anyone offering "4G" right now is piggy backing off of Clearwire. Sprint's CEO said they weren't committed to WiMax? Do you mean Clearwire's CEO? And there's been talk of multi-technology devices (WiMax, LTE, 3G, 4G, etc). Just offering my 2 cents.

To add to this, I've read several articles that state the WiMax stations can be easily/cheaply upgrades to run LTE frequencies and that Sprint will more than likely build devices in the future with wimax and lte radios (one for data, one for voice).

I look at it this way. By the time the WiMax/LTE stuff hashes itself out, the EVO will be old news and there will be other devices to choose from. Besides, I can get a new phone upgrade from Sprint every 12 months. I doubt Verizon or AT&T will have even deployed LTE yet while I'm shopping for a new phone next year. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the only 4G service available in the nation.

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Lifer

Quote:
you may be right, but my palm pre on att's network isn't much better.
It's AT&T's 3g network, it's super saturated and can't consistently bear the load.

post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79f150 View Post
I've had one for over a year and typically go through a blackberry every 3-6 months just from use and abuse. I keep my iPhone in a otterbox and use the hell out of it for work and love it.
Did you keep your blackberry phones in otterboxes too? I fail to believe that the Iphone is more durable than a Bold or similar.

post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:46 AM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmbre97 View Post
I look at it this way. By the time the WiMax/LTE stuff hashes itself out, the EVO will be old news and there will be other devices to choose from. Besides, I can get a new phone upgrade from Sprint every 12 months. I doubt Verizon or AT&T will have even deployed LTE yet while I'm shopping for a new phone next year. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the only 4G service available in the nation.
Verizon talks about having LTE deployed at the end of the year, or whatever. That's impossible. They were just testing shit last time I knew about 4 months ago. It'll be turned up in spots just like Clearwire is doing. They won't be nationwide blanketed for years.
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:

Wow. Open mouth, insert foot.

post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
It's AT&T's 3g network, it's super saturated and can't consistently bear the load.
When we were ins San Antonio the AT&T 3G speed was way fucken better than in the DFW area. Too many people have it around here and need to switch to another carrier!

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
LOL. Thats what she has now and is broke so they are sending her a new one. She wants something with more internet capability.
What more internet capability does she want?

Mine does everything a "smartphone" does. I listen to music, watch videos on YouTube, get my work e-mail, etc.

It doesn't have as many apps as an iPhone, but nothing does right now.

post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Rolling with the homies

Just saw this in the Dallas Morning News website. That's pretty good video quality coming off of a cell phone (EVO 4G).

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Big Rooster Racing

its not so much the iPhone that sucks but rather ATTs 3g capabilities. try turning your phone back to the edge/gprs network unless your surfing the web. WAY fewer dropped calls.

BIG ROOSTER RACING , we aint cluckin around !
RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN ...... AND WIRING GURU
post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Big Rooster Racing

also all the HTC noobs in here need to check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/ you can find custom ROMS and OS for HTC Palm and other phones including android.

I used to change OS on my Tilt all the time.....and yes they have the Andriod rom/OS for the evo on that site

BIG ROOSTER RACING , we aint cluckin around !
RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN ...... AND WIRING GURU
post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Lifer

Oh, and Sprints coolest feature? Unreliable text messaging. You AT&T customers know that you want to get a taste of that mess! Sometimes they don't go through to or from other carriers, especially T-Mobile.

post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:19 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang View Post
When we were ins San Antonio the AT&T 3G speed was way fucken better than in the DFW area. Too many people have it around here and need to switch to another carrier!
If it makes you feel any better, I very rarely have the 3G on my iPhone turned on (and I don't have much trouble with dropped calls with EDGE).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
Oh, and Sprints coolest feature? Unreliable text messaging. You AT&T customers know that you want to get a taste of that mess! Sometimes they don't go through to or from other carriers, especially T-Mobile.
LOL! It's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement