Cisco Shortage - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
None

Cisco Shortage

The standard firewall we've been setting up our clients (smaller than 50 users) was the ASA5505 and then the larger 5510/5520+ for our larger clients (less than 500).

However, the recent shortage has really thrown a wrench into some of our migrations for clients looking to update or replace their infrastructure.

Which firewalls have you been using with good results? We've already played with Watchguard, Juniper and some other players over the last few years but have never had as much success as with Cisco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Time Served

I replaced our PIX520 (yes, it was in place a long time) with a SonicWall NSA2400. It was unbelievably easy to configure, even being an old school IOS guy, the GUI interface is very intuitive. This is on a 150 user network. Overall, I doubt I'll go back to CISCO anytime soon. I replaced 7 5509's (again, it was a really archaic network) with 2 HP ProCurves too. CISCO has it's place in the world, but not on my LAN anymore.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 AM
fuckcanada

Recent shortage? Care to explain?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
None

Basically the ASA series are out of stock everywhere. There are some on ebay, but 90% of the time its a scam.

Quote:
Cisco channel partners and users are having difficulty getting their hands on Cisco ASA firewalls. This news surfaced during a SearchITChannel advisory board meeting, when more than one member Cisco VAR said they were unable to access Cisco ASAs both directly and through distributors.

Cisco didnít immediately return emails regarding the Cisco ASA firewall shortage, but executives at a partner distributor confirmed that there is a backlog that wonít be resolved until May or so Ė and itís on Ciscoís end.

The distie executives said they donít know the cause of the backlog, but noted that Cisco has had its share of supply chain problems in recent months. In January, disties and channel partners found themselves unable to access core networking products due to supply chain shortages, Channel Insider reported. Cisco chalked that up to an unexpected surge in demand.

Maybe answers explaining the Cisco ASA firewall shortage will arise soon.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM
duh...duh....duh

How many do you need and who is your partner?

I work for a Gold Partner and can take a look into this if you want. Remember, working with partners 9 times out of 10 will be better then solo'ing this stuff. Better discounts (only partners can get OIP on projects...etc), better support and on occassion we can get items expidited which negates shortages in some instances.

Let me know if you want our help.

Take care,

Edit: I don't consider this advertising. *I* get no benefits if the OP uses my assistance, consider it more trying to offer a "hook up" as opposed to advertising.

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

I has a linksys.

We use the NSA2400 at work. Very easy to configure. We use the TZ's at jobsites. I got about 6 of them deployed.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Last edited by Hunt4m3x; 04-14-2010 at 03:25 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Very Interesting

I've had good luck with the Junipers.

Your competitor, who I worked with for a few months, uses the Fortinet.

http://www.fortinet.com/

I looked at them a bit, and they are pretty nice setups.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
duh...duh....duh

IMHO, after Cisco and Checkpoint Juniper and Fortinet are in the same boat. I understand what the Gartner reports and all that say, but I'd do Fortinet on price point alone with proper discounts if I could not get a Cisco solution in place. Of course, we also sell Juniper and Fortinet. Juniper makes some bad ass products too, I particularly like their SSL VPN. For the basics of a L2L tunnel and others on the cheap, I recall Fortinet having a good price point.

Did you need the POE/switchports of a 5505 type appliance or more for the L2L tunnels?

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 PM
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x View Post
I has a linksys.

We use the NSA2400 at work. Very easy to configure. We use the TZ's at jobsites. I got about 6 of them deployed.
How was the NSA2400 to setup? I have implement the TZ190's in the past without any prior experience and thought it was pretty easy to setup. One of the networks I support has about 20 users and I have been looking into hardware firewalls.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5spd View Post
How was the NSA2400 to setup? I have implement the TZ190's in the past without any prior experience and thought it was pretty easy to setup. One of the networks I support has about 20 users and I have been looking into hardware firewalls.
Really easy. We use the content filtering, virus gateway, ips, etc etc. took me like an hour or two tweaking.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement