Laptops not laptoppin any more. - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid
 
FoxBodyMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pilot Point
Posts: 3,772
Laptops not laptoppin any more.

My mom has this Dell laptop..

The screen Down by where the clock is turn black in that corner and steady grows the longer it's on.

If you touch the black part of the screen it burns your finger. Fuckin hurts.

What's the problem with this thing?

Anyone here fix it? Or know someone that can?

Thx alot. I'd really like to get her lap top back to topping laps.

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.


All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
FoxBodyMike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 AM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
I'm guessing the monitor is fucked?
Cooter is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Big Rooster Racing
 
RuStYpNuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: We Aint Cluckin Around
Posts: 1,784
sounds like its a DELL......

BIG ROOSTER RACING , we aint cluckin around !
RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN ...... AND WIRING GURU
RuStYpNuS is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid
 
FoxBodyMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pilot Point
Posts: 3,772
Well, when you turn it off the black shit goes away. But comes back after 5 mins of use.

Monitor is fucked IMO is it cost effective to replace the monitor?

I'm no lap topper.. So idk

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.


All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
FoxBodyMike is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid
 
FoxBodyMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pilot Point
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
sounds like its a DELL......
Dell = sack of white dog shit.

I built my own desktop.. And she bought this thing out of impulse..

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.


All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
FoxBodyMike is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
model number of this DELL and how much memory, operating system, processor, etc..., would go a LONG way toward getting any idea on whether you should try to fix it or toss it in the garbage. If its a nice laptop that has an inverter going out in the screen it MIGHT be worth repairing. If its a low-end older Dell you might just try and get what she wants to save off the drive and go buy a new laptop. You can get a pretty decent laptop nowadays for under 5 bills unless she wants a gaming rig (which I doubt).

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
sounds like its a DELL......
sounds like its a dell? that's funny, my last dell lasted me from 1998 to 2008, got a state of the art rig at the time and it lasted me 10 years, my toshiba satellite that i got in 2006 only lasted until 2008. I got my lenovo desktop last year to replace my dell, and with a couple upgrades(same as i did to my dell) i expect it will last me at least another 3-4 years. It is lightning quick compared to any other pc/laptop I've had in the past. I probably would've gotten another Dell cause of the good experiences I've had with them, but I couldn't have gotten as much pc as I did for the money then.
Tangstang is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
2girls1cup
 
Blue5spd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Breaking up happy homes!
Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
sounds like its a dell? that's funny, my last dell lasted me from 1998 to 2008, got a state of the art rig at the time and it lasted me 10 years, my toshiba satellite that i got in 2006 only lasted until 2008. I got my lenovo desktop last year to replace my dell, and with a couple upgrades(same as i did to my dell) i expect it will last me at least another 3-4 years. It is lightning quick compared to any other pc/laptop I've had in the past. I probably would've gotten another Dell cause of the good experiences I've had with them, but I couldn't have gotten as much pc as I did for the money then.
x2. Is all's I order is Dell laptops/servers/desktops..
Blue5spd is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,548
a few weeks back, i got my wife an Emachines T4400 dual core laptop at walmart for $298 plus tax. its a good deal so far. not sure if you can find something like taht still though.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlyon is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Professional Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Closed Course
Posts: 6,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
sounds like its a dell? that's funny, my last dell lasted me from 1998 to 2008, got a state of the art rig at the time and it lasted me 10 years, my toshiba satellite that i got in 2006 only lasted until 2008. I got my lenovo desktop last year to replace my dell, and with a couple upgrades(same as i did to my dell) i expect it will last me at least another 3-4 years. It is lightning quick compared to any other pc/laptop I've had in the past. I probably would've gotten another Dell cause of the good experiences I've had with them, but I couldn't have gotten as much pc as I did for the money then.
Yes it does sound like a Dell

My 2006 Dell XPS M1710 (Top of the line gaming laptop at the time)didn't last a full year before it started overheating. Dell's XPS support said they knew nothing about the symptom or offer a possible solution. I found the solution - constant(every 2-3months) cleaning of the fans/heatsinks, which requires complete dis-assembly of the laptop. Also reapplication of heatsink compound is recommended. All of this to counter poor heat management(poor design). Also running aftermarket software to manage the fans helped prolong it's life, but I always felt I should have to do this this soon on a high$$ machine.

Before it keeled over(middle of last year), it would get hot enough to cook on in under 5 minutes. This is in a stock configuration(no overclocking or other modification, etc)

A 1998 Dell is way different from any consumer(non-commercial) product they have put out lately. A 98 Dell is more aloing the lines of what I thought I was buying when I got my XPS - I was wrong



To the OP, what model laptop is it ? The screen is still good from mine - it's a long shot but they might match up.

From what it sounds like, someone may have psuhed on the LCD panel a little too hard and damaged it. If you can post a pic, it'd help
71chevellejohn is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
My first Dell was an older Inspiron 700M 12.1" ultraportable and it worked quite well for 2 years other than a battery replacement. I sold it and picked up a used XPS M1210 fully loaded and I've used it regularly for 2 years now and have no complaints after bumping the ram up to 3 gigs. I'd have to say its been the best laptop I've owned yet.....very fast for a 12.1" (core 2 Duo at 1.83ghz, 100gb HD, Vista Business, webcam, bluetooth, wifi, DVD burner, card readers, runs for 5hrs on a battery) and is pretty light. I guess it depends on who you ask and what they expect out of the computer...and how they treat it. I know some people who beat the snot out of their laptops...drop them, bang them around, dont put them in bags, leave them in hot cars all day, spill shit on them...and then they bitch that the computers aren't built well whent they break. I know other people who buy the cheapest Wal-Mart black Friday laptop they can find and they take care of it properly and they last for 5 years. I haven't had any problem with Dell laptops and have bought and sold quite a few of them over the years so I guess I have a different opinion of them.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Professional Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Closed Course
Posts: 6,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
My first Dell was an older Inspiron 700M 12.1" ultraportable and it worked quite well for 2 years other than a battery replacement. I sold it and picked up a used XPS M1210 fully loaded and I've used it regularly for 2 years now and have no complaints after bumping the ram up to 3 gigs. I'd have to say its been the best laptop I've owned yet.....very fast for a 12.1" (core 2 Duo at 1.83ghz, 100gb HD, Vista Business, webcam, bluetooth, wifi, DVD burner, card readers, runs for 5hrs on a battery) and is pretty light. I guess it depends on who you ask and what they expect out of the computer...and how they treat it. I know some people who beat the snot out of their laptops...drop them, bang them around, dont put them in bags, leave them in hot cars all day, spill shit on them...and then they bitch that the computers aren't built well whent they break. I know other people who buy the cheapest Wal-Mart black Friday laptop they can find and they take care of it properly and they last for 5 years. I haven't had any problem with Dell laptops and have bought and sold quite a few of them over the years so I guess I have a different opinion of them.
My M1710 was kept virtually in one place it's life... on top of a cooling mat. A 17" laptop isn't practical for mobile computing, but when it was transported it was in a very well padded bag designed for laptops. When I bought it I bought it as overkill for what I needed that way I wouldn't have to replace it in the near future.

If you don't believe me that the m1710 model in general has heating problems, then try this:

go to google /
make sure that the search suggestions are turned "on" /
enter m1710 and look at what the suggested searches are.

The second one on the list is m1710 overheating /
3rd is video card /
6th is video card replacement...

Dell's own forums were filled with people who got stuck with a POS m1710
71chevellejohn is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
No offense and I wasn't saying you did abuse it....all I said was there are a lot of variables that can cause laptops to have a short life. Some aren't designed very well (look at pretty much ANYTHING Sony sells). I've never been a fan of the 17 inch or larger laptops because when they get to that size they are basically a desktop replacement...kinda defeats the whole idea behind a laptop. I don't think any laptop should be built with any significant gaming in mind because the demands on a video card, processor, and memory will cause it to get VERY hot due to it all being crammed into the smallest space possible. Just my opinion.
I really think anyone wishing to play games on a PC should invest in a decent desktop so they can upgrade as time goes on to keep up with the requirements of the games.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome