iPhone OS 4.0. Multitasking arrives (and more) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

iPhone OS 4.0. Multitasking arrives (and more)

Apple finally put multitasking in the iPhone OS. Not a bad job either. Apps run in the background on your task bar. You can keep Skype up and running when your phone is locked and still receive calls. Many other functions here too.

Other stuff:

-Folders to better organize your apps.

-Wallpaper management

-Unified Inbox for Mail.app

-Enterprise improvements like email and attachment encryption. Encryption for apps, and mobile device management.

-A new Game Center. Sorta like XBox live. Has social networking, matchmaking for online gaming, etc, etc..

-New iAd. Lets developers build advertising into their apps in a much more integrated fashion. Of course Apple wants 40% of the ad revenue, but they will host the ad content for you.. currently if someone clicks a banner ad in an app, it closes the app and launches the ad in safari. now it runs the ad as part of the app and lets you easily go back to the app because it is still running..

Developer Preview is being released TODAY.. start watching for the bit torrent to appear soon. Full release this Summer. iPad version comes in the Fall..

And now the bad news: Multitasking doesn't work on the Iphone 3G or Touch 2nd gen... other new functions do work... You have to have an iPhone 3Gs or Touch 3rd gen to get multitasking... EDGE BASED iPHONE doesn't appear to be supported..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Dammit no 3G iPhone total bs. Jst hope they bring a newer version of a 3Gs or what ever by late summer since I can upgrade in May
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:11 PM
How you doin'

i wonder how long it will take to get jailbroken.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
i wonder how long it will take to get jailbroken.
What would the purpose be, if now you can multitask? Wasn't that pretty much the only benefit of jailbreaking?
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
What would the purpose be, if now you can multitask? Wasn't that pretty much the only benefit of jailbreaking?
there are several benefits and one of which is bitesms...i can't go back to the regualar sms app now! also, tethering is a nice thing to have...it's a factory option that's turned off unless you jailbreak and turn it back on. oh yeah, there's also a jailbreak program called "3g unrestricted" that lets your phone download items that are normally too large and, without it, would require you to be on a wifi signal...oh yeah, and "sbsettings", which is a quick toggle program to turn things like bluetooth, wifi, etc off and on quickly without having to go through the "settings" menu. there are more, but i don't want to type out a book here.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Grass Snake

dammit i have a 3g

Oxford white 03 cobra aka Grass Snake
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator03 View Post
dammit i have a 3g
Same here, but I was planning to get the next gen iPhone anyways..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:22 PM
MFFL!

Quote:
there are several benefits and one of which is bitesms...i can't go back to the regualar sms app now! also, tethering is a nice thing to have...it's a factory option that's turned off unless you jailbreak and turn it back on. oh yeah, there's also a jailbreak program called "3g unrestricted" that lets your phone download items that are normally too large and, without it, would require you to be on a wifi signal...oh yeah, and "sbsettings", which is a quick toggle program to turn things like bluetooth, wifi, etc off and on quickly without having to go through the "settings" menu. there are more, but i don't want to type out a book here.
Damn, maybe I need to read a little more about jailbreaking. I've got a 3GS, so either jailbreaking or this new OS update is definitely in my future. Not being able to multitask is really my primary complaint about this phone.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
Damn, maybe I need to read a little more about jailbreaking. I've got a 3GS, so either jailbreaking or this new OS update is definitely in my future. Not being able to multitask is really my primary complaint about this phone.
read up on bitesms...the cool thing is that it pops up a text window that you can respond to or close, while you're still in an app. i really don't need any other multi-tasking, but you can get programs through cydia to do it now.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
MFFL!

Awesome, will do. Yeah, that's big. I'll be messing around with Pandora or another app and a text will come in and you have to close it down to see your text. Or if you view your text, it closes the app down. Sounds like bitesms is perfect!
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
Awesome, will do. Yeah, that's big. I'll be messing around with Pandora or another app and a text will come in and you have to close it down to see your text. Or if you view your text, it closes the app down. Sounds like bitesms is perfect!
you can download it and try it out for 30days for free then it's like $8 for a lifetime subscription to it. it works like a champ and it even has smilies on it to choose from, like the forums do here, if you're into that stuff.

here's their site that has some pics and info about it:

http://www.bitesms.com/main/more_features
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Lifer

When?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Lifer

I didnt hear about all the other stuff, the stories I read all showed multi tasking as the only really new thing along with touch focus and zoom 5x on the camera.

They need to concentrate on personalizing and it sounds like that is what they are trying to do. The iphone OS has gotten so stale and needs a big change. Hopefully this is it.

Personally, I traded up my iphone recently for a android phone and am real happy. I had no real issues with the iphone (that were not the networks fault) but it was just getting old.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
When?
according to the article, it's due out in the summer sometime for the iphone...that's about a 3-month window, though.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

the only reason I jailbroke my phone is biteSMS...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Good times

Quote:
Looks like SBSettings, custom sounds, 3g unrestricted, and tethering are the only benefits to being jailbroken after that (assuming the multitasking covers BiteSMS). I'm still on 3G so won't be able to upgrade anyway, oh well.

n/a
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
May the Force be w/you

I guess Android is giving them a run for their money. They felt the fire and needed to make a change!
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01VNMS4v View Post
Dammit no 3G iPhone total bs. Jst hope they bring a newer version of a 3Gs or what ever by late summer since I can upgrade in May
I don't think that the 3g's processor can handle doing more than one thing at a time - mine runs like a pinto next to my friends 3GS. If I want to multitask there are JB apps to do that too.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
according to the article, it's due out in the summer sometime for the iphone...that's about a 3-month window, though.
September then. That's how it worked the last time something was released in the "summer".
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
IA2

Just great. My daughter (who has everything apple sells except the ipad, and i'm sure shes making up a reason for wanting one of those) will be nagging me for an iphone upgrade now.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM
is chilaxing

Pretty much what I can do now on my JB. Multitask,touch focus,zoom in for pics and video,apptracker/sbsettings,customized folders,customizing,among other things.

3gs here
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Pretty much what I can do now on my JB. Multitask,touch focus,zoom in for pics and video,apptracker/sbsettings,customized folders,customizing,among other things.

3gs here
Yep me too, Nexus One here

Just sayin'
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post

Just sayin'

Only Apple fans can get excited about stuff that other devices have done for years.

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
is chilaxing

Quote:

Just sayin'

puto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmbre97 View Post
Only Apple fans can get excited about stuff that other devices have done for years.

I was only comparing it to 4.0. I'm by no means a Apple nuthugger
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Thats against the law Man

Does anyone out here have some more resources on jailbreaking a 3GS? I am trying to use Blackrain, but it simply does not work. It hangs everytime on the "Running" section, and as described here - http://thebigboss.org/guides/purplera1n-guide/ this is said to be caused by having iTunes and/or iTunesHelper running....however, I am absolutely certain that they are not running....I've tried on 2 different machines now and get same results on both.

I'm wondering if it isn't something with my phone.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckacosta View Post
I guess Android is giving them a run for their money. They felt the fire and needed to make a change!
not a chance, add it to the list of wannabe iphone killers, lol...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rreemo View Post
Does anyone out here have some more resources on jailbreaking a 3GS? I am trying to use Blackrain, but it simply does not work. It hangs everytime on the "Running" section, and as described here - http://thebigboss.org/guides/purplera1n-guide/ this is said to be caused by having iTunes and/or iTunesHelper running....however, I am absolutely certain that they are not running....I've tried on 2 different machines now and get same results on both.

I'm wondering if it isn't something with my phone.
Which firmware are you running???
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:

Just sayin'
How's that Microsoft Exchange support working out for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez View Post
not a chance, add it to the list of wannabe iphone killers, lol...
Actually Android will become the new microsoft, I can promise that. Apple downfall is they will only allow their OS on their phones. Same as they do on the computers while MS whores out the their OS to everyone. Android is doing the same and now more and more makers are using Android. The latest numbers I saw showed Android had the biggest jump out of all the phone OS's. In another year, I can see Android taking over unless MS windows mobile 7 is as decent as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
How's that Microsoft Exchange support working out for you?
Dont use it so I dont care.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
which firmware are you running???

69/70ish Mustang

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Unless something has changed in the last week or so, you can't easily JB 313. It was put out to stop jailbreaking.

And most of the JB guys were holding off on building a JB for 313 and were going to concentrate on 4.0, from what I have read.

I normally look over at www.modmyi.com for info.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Unless something has changed in the last week or so, you can't easily JB 313. It was put out to stop jailbreaking.

And most of the JB guys were holding off on building a JB for 313 and were going to concentrate on 4.0, from what I have read.

Gotcha - thanks!

69/70ish Mustang

70' Chevelle RagTop

post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Actually Android will become the new microsoft, I can promise that. Apple downfall is they will only allow their OS on their phones. Same as they do on the computers while MS whores out the their OS to everyone. Android is doing the same and now more and more makers are using Android. The latest numbers I saw showed Android had the biggest jump out of all the phone OS's. In another year, I can see Android taking over unless MS windows mobile 7 is as decent as they say.

they've said the same bullshit since the G1..

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:41 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
only reason I went with the iPhone over an Android phone is because I need the Exchange integration for my work email
Posted via Mobile Device
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
How you doin'

Quote:

you can jailbreak 3.1.3, but you can't unlock just yet.

Quote:
Gotcha - thanks!
do you have a 3g or 3gs?
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
they've said the same bullshit since the G1..
Back then the G1 was the only Android phone though wasnt it? Now days you see HTC flooding the market with Android phones for just about every carrier and more manufacters installing the OS as well. You can call it bullshit all you want, I am only going by the numbers. Ill see if I can find the chart I saw a couple weeks ago showing the recent OS's growth.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:29 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Gotcha - thanks!
here are a couple of options to jailbreak 3.1.3...i've used redsnow and snowbreeze to jailbreak 3g phones on 3.1.3, but i haven't tried it on a 3gs...

http://www.redmondpie.com/sn0wbreeze...3.1.3-9140538/

that is snowbreeze, but search redmondpie for redsnow 0.9.4 as well...it's another option.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
dead

my boss has the developer pkg so he put beta 4.0 on his phone. it's neat but the backgrounder wont be effective until production 4.0 rolls out. the apps have to update their program.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
you can jailbreak 3.1.3, but you can't unlock just yet.
I wasn't sure, last time I loaded Cydia it still had a warning telling people not to update to 313
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:03 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
I wasn't sure, last time I loaded Cydia it still had a warning telling people not to update to 313
yeah, they had the same "don't update to 3.1.2" warning on there until 3.1.3 came out, and they swapped over to it. i don't ever update unless there's a reason to...ie; additional features that i would use or stuff stops working on the old firmware. i just can't stand going through the process of updating and putting all of my stuff back on. it takes forever!
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Professional Driver

Quote:
yeah, they had the same "don't update to 3.1.2" warning on there until 3.1.3 came out, and they swapped over to it. i don't ever update unless there's a reason to...ie; additional features that i would use or stuff stops working on the old firmware. i just can't stand going through the process of updating and putting all of my stuff back on. it takes forever!
The only reason I have 312 is because it stopped syncing completely and I needed to swap out my music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement