To find your Hosts file, named "HOSTS":
* Access folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC in Explorer.
* Access folder C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC in Explorer.
* Access folder C:\WINDOWS in Explorer.
Open file "HOSTS" in Notepad. Before making changes, do a "Save As" and save a backup of this file as "HOSTS.BAK". Then reopen the HOSTS file.
Now, delete all entries in this file except for the following and any other entries you are sure have legitimate uses:
Resave the file. - DO NOT "SAVE AS" - Just click "SAVE"
1) Some spyware may detect the hosts file has changed and resave a malware version. You should still download and use anti-spyware software to help remove the underlying threats.
2) Some anti-spyware software packages, such as Spybot Search and Destroy, may put entries in the host file to block access to known spyware sites. Entries may look like the following:
You should NOT remove these entries as they help protect your system! However, if you see entries like so:
Where ???.???.???.??? is some set of four numbers, you should probably REMOVE this entry as spyware is trying to redirect your access from ebay.com to another website.