Getting DVD's "Ripped" over to my new I-Touch - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Getting DVD's "Ripped" over to my new I-Touch

I bought an I-touch, and am going to start fresh loading up my CD collection first, then download stuff from Limewire, etc..

I want to rip DVD to it as well.... say right before I have to fly somewhere, load it up with a movie, then delete it later when I'm done so I don't hog up the memory It's a 32 Gig.

So, my understanding is that you now have to download I-Tunes... and I also want to download a program to help me rip DVDs. I have never "ripped" a DVD or put a movie on an I-pod, etc...

So, what program(s) are good for getting a DVD onto my I-Touch? For that matter, how do you get one downloaded from an on line source?

I know nothing about "bit torrent" or "streaming video" ect.., so can you guys help me out getting some good software to help me out? I want to make sure and keep everything real organized and accessable,,,

So, educate me - thanks! Can't wait to get this thing working!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:33 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Needs to be converted to mpeg4 file format. If you want to dl a certain movie, chances are there might already be an ipod converted version somewhere online.
As for software to rip the dvd to your computer, I dont know. I'm sure someone else on here would know that part.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Texas Rangers #1

I've used an app called Total Video Converter to convert any DVD's/AVI/DVIX files to MP4's to load on my Samsung Impression. Works great, no issues at all... but as mentioned quite a few movies have already been converted, so just download them and don't worry about having to rip and convert it.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Professional Driver

Handbrake is free and it can convert a DVD (or DVD files) into an iphone/itouch friendly version.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

How do I download movies? How does bit torrent work? How long does it take to download a movie from a shared site, provided I have a decently fast internet connection?

Most of this stuff will be done on the road, from a hotel room. What if I want to get my OWN DVDs onto my I-Touch?

How much space does a movie occupy in its mpeg4 format?

I have iTunes on my laptop currently, but I think some of the folders containing the music aren't there any more.

I want to start fresh and keep everything very organized.... if I plug my new iTouch in, the current iTunes is going to want to send everything to the iTouch, unless I put it in manual mode or something, right?

Guess I have a lot of learning to do.

I guess my biggest question is - if I want to put one of my OWN DVDs on the iTouch, what is the best way to do it?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
How do I download movies? How does bit torrent work? How long does it take to download a movie from a shared site, provided I have a decently fast internet connection?

Most of this stuff will be done on the road, from a hotel room. What if I want to get my OWN DVDs onto my I-Touch?

How much space does a movie occupy in its mpeg4 format?

I have iTunes on my laptop currently, but I think some of the folders containing the music aren't there any more.

I want to start fresh and keep everything very organized.... if I plug my new iTouch in, the current iTunes is going to want to send everything to the iTouch, unless I put it in manual mode or something, right?

Guess I have a lot of learning to do.

I guess my biggest question is - if I want to put one of my OWN DVDs on the iTouch, what is the best way to do it?
I'm not sure on how to rip an actual DVD, however, I'd DL one of the recommended programs then google instructions for it.

In terms of bit torrent, I'd recommend www.utorrent.com as your client. Go there and download the free client. You can then use a torrent search engine such as www.thepiratebay.org Type in the name of the movie you want (e.g. "The Toothfairy MPEG4") and see what pops up. Look for the one with the most seeders, click the name of the file then click on "download torrent". This will open the torrent automatically in utorrent where it will proceed to download. Remember that downloading any copyrighted movies is illegal through torrents.

Speed depends on your download speed, size of the file, and how many seeders you have and their quality of connection. I usually just leave larger files (1+ gigs) to DL overnight.

Once it's complete, right click it and click "Go to Containing Folder" then drag it into iTunes to add it to your iTunes library. Next time you sync your iTouch, you can select what movies you want to put onto your iTouch.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Professional Driver

I think Handbrake will pull it straight from the disc if you've got the disc. As far as a DL'd movie I'm not sure.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
I think Handbrake will pull it straight from the disc if you've got the disc. As far as a DL'd movie I'm not sure.
Recent versions of Handbrake will not rip encrypted DVD's.

I use DVD Decryptor to rip the DVD and than Handbrake to convert it into an M4V file that will import into iTunes. I use Handbrake for all my iPhone video importing. Typical file sizes are 300-800 MB depending on what I rip.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Texas Rangers #1

You can also use google to search for MP4 files on HTTP sites like MegaUpload.com or Rapidshare.com

Here's some fore Inglorious Basterds already in MP4 format

http://www.google.com/search?q=Inglo...ient=firefox-a

Basically go to google type in the name of the move and then put MP4 after it, and then site:www.megaupload.com or site:www.rapidshare.com and it will search that site and return results to download directly from those sites.

For example for Inglorious Basterds you would put this in Google: Inglorious Basterds Mp4 site:www.megaupload.com

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Ok thanks. I have a lot to learn about this kind of stuff, but I know I can do it. Just never played around with that stuff.

I'll practice with Inglorious Bastards. I may be posting up for tech support.

My work hours are 5 AM to around noon... so I have all afternoon free during the week to play around with it.

Can't be that hard, right? Should I get an external drive to store all these files? I had one, but someone stole it, on my last day working for Siemens.....
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Professional Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Recent versions of Handbrake will not rip encrypted DVD's.

I use DVD Decryptor to rip the DVD and than Handbrake to convert it into an M4V file that will import into iTunes. I use Handbrake for all my iPhone video importing. Typical file sizes are 300-800 MB depending on what I rip.
Oh, OK - I haven't messed with it too much, I guess the disc I used wasn't encrypted.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Ok thanks. I have a lot to learn about this kind of stuff, but I know I can do it. Just never played around with that stuff.

My work hours are 5 AM to around noon... so I have all afternoon free during the week to play around with it.

Can't be that hard, right? Should I get an external drive to store all these files? I had one, but someone stole it, on my last day working for Siemens.....
It's not difficult, but it does take some practice. I would recommend you get a large external drive to keep them on. You can get a 500gb external drive for under $100 now days, that should more than plenty to hold your movies and mp3's.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
I'm not sure on how to rip an actual DVD, however, I'd DL one of the recommended programs then google instructions for it.

In terms of bit torrent, I'd recommend www.utorrent.com as your client. Go there and download the free client. You can then use a torrent search engine such as www.thepiratebay.org Type in the name of the movie you want (e.g. "The Toothfairy MPEG4") and see what pops up. Look for the one with the most seeders, click the name of the file then click on "download torrent". This will open the torrent automatically in utorrent where it will proceed to download. Remember that downloading any copyrighted movies is illegal through torrents.

Speed depends on your download speed, size of the file, and how many seeders you have and their quality of connection. I usually just leave larger files (1+ gigs) to DL overnight.

Once it's complete, right click it and click "Go to Containing Folder" then drag it into iTunes to add it to your iTunes library. Next time you sync your iTouch, you can select what movies you want to put onto your iTouch.
Piratebay is dead.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:

It's easy once you get the hang of it but very time intensive. I've actually started doing my ripping and converting on a spare computer I have on my living room for guests and kids so it doesn't tie up my main box. Typically it takes an 1-2 hours to rip a DVD and similar to convert it to imported into iTunes. Downloading from torrents is another PITA time consuming practice unless a lot of people are seeding.

What size HD do you have on your laptop? Mine is 320 GB and I have a ton of movies, music, and pics loaded on it with plenty of space left.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
It's not difficult, but it does take some practice. I would recommend you get a large external drive to keep them on. You can get a 500gb external drive for under $100 now days, that should more than plenty to hold your movies and mp3's.
My laptop was originally an 80GB HD and when I upgraded it to 320GB I used the original with an external USB/Firewire enclosure for storing movies and stuff until I realized I had plenty of room on the laptop after the upgrade.

Chris if your HD is small than you might considering upgrading to a larger drive and use your original as a backup like I did. Just a thought.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
Oh, OK - I haven't messed with it too much, I guess the disc I used wasn't encrypted.
Older versions on the Mac used to be able to decrypt, not sure on the PC as they just recently (past couple of years maybe?) came up with a GUI version of Handbrake. Not your one stop shop for ripping/converting needs but like you said, it's free.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
My laptop was originally an 80GB HD and when I upgraded it to 320GB I used the original with an external USB/Firewire enclosure for storing movies and stuff until I realized I had plenty of room on the laptop after the upgrade.

Chris if your HD is small than you might considering upgrading to a larger drive and use your original as a backup like I did. Just a thought.
I prefer keeping my stuff on a portable drive just so that I can take it with me to work/school/etc.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Piratebay is dead.
Not at all, I still use it regularly. Not my primary, but the only non-invite I use.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
I prefer keeping my stuff on a portable drive just so that I can take it with me to work/school/etc.
I can no longer do that at work anymore so everything goes on the iPhone now

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
I can no longer do that at work anymore so everything goes on the iPhone now
That sucks. Fight the power!